OREMUS: 2 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jul 1 20:50:52 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, July 2, 2007

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

A Song of Judith (Judith 16:13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.

May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.

You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.

Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.

But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.

No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING []:

When the company of prophets who were at Jericho saw him
at a distance, they declared, 'The spirit of Elijah rests
on Elisha.' They came to meet him and bowed to the ground
before him. They said to him, 'See now, we have fifty
strong men among your servants; please let them go and
seek your master; it may be that the spirit of the Lord
has caught him up and thrown him down on some mountain or
into some valley.' He responded, 'No, do not send them.'
But when they urged him until he was ashamed, he said,
'Send them.' So they sent fifty men who searched for
three days but did not find him. When they came back to
him (he had remained at Jericho), he said to them, 'Did I
not say to you, Do not go?'
Now the people of the city said to Elisha, 'The location
of this city is good, as my lord sees; but the water is
bad, and the land is unfruitful.' He said, 'Bring me a
new bowl, and put salt in it.' So they brought it to him.
Then he went to the spring of water and threw the salt
into it, and said, 'Thus says the Lord, I have made this
water wholesome; from now on neither death nor
miscarriage shall come from it.' So the water has been
wholesome to this day, according to the word that Elisha
spoke.

HYMN
Words: John Henry Newman, 1833
Tune: Lux Benigna, Sandon, Alberta

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l014.html

Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom,
lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
the distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou
shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
pride ruled my will: remember not past years!

So long thy power hath blessed me, sure it still
will lead me on.
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
the night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

SECOND READING [1 John 2:7-11]:

Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you
have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word that you have heard.
Yet I am writing you a new commandment that is true in him and in you, because the
darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. Whoever says, 'I am in
the light', while hating a brother or sister, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves a
brother or sister lives in the light, and in such a person there is no cause for stumbling.
But whoever hates another believer is in the darkness, walks in the darkness, and does
not know the way to go, because the darkness has brought on blindness.

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

Eternal God, our heavenly Father,
who has given to us your children
an abiding citizenship in heaven,
and in the days of our pilgrimage,
a citizenship also upon earth:
Give us your aid,
as we journey to that heavenly city,
so faithfulfully to perform the duties
which befall us on our way,
that at the last we may be found worthy
to enter into your rest;

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;