OREMUS: 1 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 31 21:15:31 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, February 1, 2007

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Numbers 27:12-23]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'Go up this mountain of the
Abarim range, and see the land that I have given to the
Israelites. When you have seen it, you also shall be
gathered to your people, as your brother Aaron was,
because you rebelled against my word in the wilderness of
Zin when the congregation quarrelled with me. You did not
show my holiness before their eyes at the waters.' (These
are the waters of Meribath-kadesh in the wilderness of
Zin.) Moses spoke to the Lord, saying, 'Let the Lord, the
God of the spirits of all flesh, appoint someone over the
congregation who shall go out before them and come in
before them, who shall lead them out and bring them in,
so that the congregation of the Lord may not be like
sheep without a shepherd.' So the Lord said to Moses,
'Take Joshua son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and
lay your hand upon him; have him stand before Eleazar the
priest and all the congregation, and commission him in
their sight. You shall give him some of your authority,
so that all the congregation of the Israelites may obey.
But he shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall
inquire for him by the decision of the Urim before the
Lord; at his word they shall go out, and at his word they
shall come in, both he and all the Israelites with him,
the whole congregation.' So Moses did as the Lord
commanded him. He took Joshua and had him stand before
Eleazar the priest and the whole congregation; he laid
his hands on him and commissioned him as the Lord had
directed through Moses.

HYMN
Words: Alexander Viets Griswold, 1835
Tune: Regent Square

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h274.html

Holy Father, great Creator,
source of mercy, love, and peace,
look upon the Mediator,
clothe us with his righteousness;
heavenly Father, heavenly Father,
through the Savior hear and bless.

Holy Jesus, Lord of glory,
whom angelic hosts proclaim,
while we hear thy wondrous story,
meet and worship in thy Name,
dear Redeemer, dear Redeemer,
in our hearts thy peace proclaim.

Holy Spirit, Sanctifier,
come with unction from above,
raise our hearts to raptures higher,
fill them with the Savior's love.
Source of comfort, Source of comfort,
cheer us with the Savior's love.

God the Lord, through every nation
let thy wondrous mercies shine.
In the song of thy salvation
every tongue and race combine.
Great Jehovah, Great Jehovah,
form our hearts and make them thine.

SECOND READING [Acts 9:26-31]:

When Paul had come to Jerusalem, he attempted to join the disciples; and they were all
afraid of him, for they did not believe that he was a disciple. But Barnabas took him,
brought him to the apostles, and described for them how on the road he had seen the
Lord, who had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had spoken boldly in the name
of Jesus. So he went in and out among them in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name
of the Lord. He spoke and argued with the Hellenists; but they were attempting to kill
him. When the believers learned of it, they brought him down to Caesarea and sent him
off to Tarsus.
Meanwhile the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and was built
up. Living in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it increased in
numbers.

God of the apostles and martyrs,
we thank you for the hope that is from the beginning.
We bless you for the good news of Jesus
crucified, risen, and interceding for us
until his coming again in glory.

We commend to your care
all who walk and weep in grief and regret.

We pray in hope of your mercy.

We commend to you
all who live far from your image.
We pray in hope of your salvation.

We commend Holy Church,
We pray in hope of your glory.

We commend to your justice all peoples
who participate in oppression, strife and domination of others.
We pray in hope of your justice and peace.

We commend to you all who have died.
We pray in hope of your resurrection.

We commend to you our unfinished business.
We pray in hope of rest in you.

O God, your steadfast love endures for ever
and your faithfulness from one generation to another;
rescue your people from their distress,
still the storms of our self-will
and bring us to the haven you have prepared for us
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;