OREMUS: 31 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 30 18:25:19 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 101

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
   O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
   they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
   that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
   shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies shall not continue in my sight.

Psalm 119:9-16

How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.
Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Numbers 20:22-29]:

They set out from Kadesh, and the Israelites, the whole
congregation, came to Mount Hor. Then the Lord said to
Moses and Aaron at Mount Hor, on the border of the land
of Edom, 'Let Aaron be gathered to his people. For he
shall not enter the land that I have given to the
Israelites, because you rebelled against my command at
the waters of Meribah. Take Aaron and his son Eleazar,
and bring them up Mount Hor; strip Aaron of his
vestments, and put them on his son Eleazar. But Aaron
shall be gathered to his people, and shall die there.'
Moses did as the Lord had commanded; they went up Mount
Hor in the sight of the whole congregation. Moses
stripped Aaron of his vestments, and put them on his son
Eleazar; and Aaron died there on the top of the mountain.
Moses and Eleazar came down from the mountain. When all
the congregation saw that Aaron had died, all the house
of Israel mourned for Aaron for thirty days.

HYMN
Words: Bourne Hall Draper (1775-1843), 1803
Tune: Missionary Chant

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/y/y004.html

Ye Christian heralds, go proclaim
salvation through Emmanuel's Name;
to distant climes the tidings bear,
and plant the Rose of Sharon there.

Ruler of worlds, display thy power,
be this thy Zion's favored hour;
bid the bright morning star arise,
and point the nations to the skies.

Set up thy throne where Satan reigns,
on Afric shores, on India's plains;
on wilds and continents unknown,
and be the universe thine own!

Speak and the world shall hear thy voice;
speak and the deserts shall rejoice!
scatter the shades of mortal night;
let worthless idols flee the light!

Trusting in him, dear brethren, rear
the Gospel standard void of fear;
go seek with joy your destined shore,
to view your native land no more.

He'll shield you with a wall of fire,
with flaming zeal your hearts inspire,
bid raging winds their fury cease,
and hush the tempests into peace.

And when our labors are all o'er,
then we shall meet to part no more;
meet with the blood bought throng to fall,
and crown our Jesus, Lord of all!

SECOND READING [Acts 9:19b-25]:

For several days he was with the disciples in Damascus, and immediately he began to
proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, 'He is the Son of God.' All who heard him
were amazed and said, 'Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem among those
who invoked this name? And has he not come here for the purpose of bringing them
bound before the chief priests?' Saul became increasingly more powerful and
confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the
Messiah.
After some time had passed, the Jews plotted to kill him, but their plot became known
to Saul. They were watching the gates day and night so that they might kill him; but
his disciples took him by night and let him down through an opening in the wall,
lowering him in a basket.

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

Loving God,
help us to love what is truly perfect,
so that we may neither speak what is evil
nor do what is wrong.
Then bring us to stand in your presence,
to sing of your mercy and justice
in the company of all your saints,
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;