OREMUS: 27 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 26 21:45:44 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, January 27, 2007
John Chrysostom, Bishop of Constantinople, Teacher of the Faith, 407

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [2 Chronicles 36:11-21]:

Zedeki'ah was twenty-one years old when he began to
reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. He did
what was evil in the sight of the LORD his God. He did
not humble himself before Jeremiah the prophet, who spoke
from the mouth of the LORD. He also rebelled against King
Nebuchadnez'zar, who had made him swear by God; he
stiffened his neck and hardened his heart against turning
to the LORD, the God of Israel. All the leading priests
and the people likewise were exceedingly unfaithful,
following all the abominations of the nations; and they
polluted the house of the LORD which he had hallowed in
Jerusalem.
The LORD, the God of their fathers, sent persistently to
them by his messengers, because he had compassion on his
people and on his dwelling place; but they kept mocking
the messengers of God, despising his words, and scoffing
at his prophets, till the wrath of the LORD rose against
his people, till there was no remedy. Therefore he
brought up against them the king of the Chalde'ans, who
slew their young men with the sword in the house of their
sanctuary, and had no compassion on young man or virgin,
old man or aged; he gave them all into his hand.
And all the vessels of the house of God, great and small,
and the treasures of the house of the LORD, and the
treasures of the king and of his princes, all these he
brought to Babylon. And they burned the house of God, and
broke down the wall of Jerusalem, and burned all its
palaces with fire, and destroyed all its precious
vessels.
He took into exile in Babylon those who had escaped from
the sword, and they became servants to him and to his
sons until the establishment of the kingdom of Persia, to
fulfil the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah,
until the land had enjoyed its sabbaths. All the days
that it lay desolate it kept sabbath, to fulfil seventy
years.

HYMN
Words: Mitre Hymn Book, 1836
based on John Wesley's 1739 paraphrase of a text
by Paul Gerhardt, 1653 ("Befiehl du deine Wege")
Tune: Doncaster
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p141.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p
/p141.html

Put thou thy trust in God,
in duty's path go on;
walk in his strength with faith and hope,
so shall thy work be done.

Commit thy ways to him,
thy works into his hands,
and rest on his unchanging word,
who heaven and earth commands.

Though years on years roll on,
his covenant shall endure;
though clouds and darkness hide his path,
the promised grace is sure.

Give to the winds thy fears;
hope, and be undismayed:
God hears thy sighs and counts thy tears;
God shall lift up thy head.

Through waves and clouds and storms
his power will clear thy way:
wait thou his time; the darkest night
shall end in brightest day.

Leave to his sovereign sway
to choose and to command;
so shalt thou, wondering, own his way,
how wise, how strong his hand.

SECOND READING [John 1:43-51]:

The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. And he found Philip and said to him,
"Follow me." Now Philip was from Beth-sa'ida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip
found Nathan'a-el, and said to him, "We have found him of whom Moses in the law
and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." Nathan'a-el said to
him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see."
Jesus saw Nathan'a-el coming to him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in
whom is no guile!" Nathan'a-el said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered
him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."
Nathan'a-el answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of
Israel!" Jesus answered him, "Because I said to you, I saw you under the fig tree, do
you believe? You shall see greater things than these." And he said to him, "Truly,
truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and
descending upon the Son of man."

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Remember us, gracious God,
when we cannot see your way and purpose,
and renew in us the joy of your kingdom of light and life.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

O God,
you gave a golden eloquence to your servant John
that he might declare your justice
before the face of the proud and mighty.
Grant us, after his example,
such faithfulness to your word,
that we may strengthen the hearts of the weary
and sustain those who are afflicted by wrong;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

John was called "Chrysostom" ("Golden Mouth") because of his eloquence. He
was a priest of Antioch, and an outstanding preacher. (Audiences were warned
not to carry large sums of money when they went to hear him speak, since
pickpockets found it very easy to rob his hearers -- they were too intent on his
words to notice what was happening.) His sermons are mostly straightforward
expositions of Holy Scripture (he has extensive commentaries on both
Testaments, with special attention to the Epistles of Paul), and he emphasizes
the literal meaning, whereas the style popular at Alexandria tended to read
allegorical meanings into the text.
He loved the city and people of Antioch, and they loved him. However, he
became so famous that the Empress at Constantinople decided that she must
have him for her court preacher, and she had him kidnaped and brought to
Constantinople and there made bishop. This was a failure all around. His
sermons against corruption in high places earned him powerful enemies
(including the Empress), and he was sent into exile, where he died.
Along with Athanasius of Alexandria, Basil the Great, and Gregory of
Nazianzus, he is counted as one of the Four Great Eastern (or Greek) Doctors
of the Ancient Church. The Four Great Western (or Latin) Doctors are
Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine, and Gregory the Great.