OREMUS: 26 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 25 18:51:23 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, January 26, 2007
Timothy and Titus, Companions of Paul

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

FIRST READING [2 Chronicles 35:20-27]:

After all this, when Josi'ah had prepared the temple,
Neco king of Egypt went up to fight at Car'chmish on the
Euphra'tes and Josi'ah went out against him. But he sent
envoys to him, saying, "What have we to do with each
other, king of Judah? I am not coming against you this
day, but against the house with which I am at war; and
God has commanded me to make haste. Cease opposing God,
who is with me, lest he destroy you." Nevertheless
Josi'ah would not turn away from him, but disguised
himself in order to fight with him. He did not listen to
the words of Neco from the mouth of God, but joined
battle in the plain of Megid'do. And the archers shot
King Josi'ah; and the king said to his servants, "Take me
away, for I am badly wounded." So his servants took him
out of the chariot and carried him in his second chariot
and brought him to Jerusalem. And he died, and was buried
in the tombs of his fathers. All Judah and Jerusalem
mourned for Josi'ah.
Jeremiah also uttered a lament for Josi'ah; and all the
singing men and singing women have spoken of Josi'ah in
their laments to this day. They made these an ordinance
in Israel; behold, they are written in the Laments. Now
the rest of the acts of Josi'ah, and his good deeds
according to what is written in the law of the LORD, and
his acts, first and last, behold, they are written in the
Book of the Kings of Israel and Judah.

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879), 1873
Tune: Beverley
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t570.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t
570.html

Thou art coming, O my Savior,
thou art coming, O my King,
in thy beauty all-resplendent,
in thy glory all-transcendent;
well may we rejoice and sing:
Coming! in the opening east
herald brightness slowly swells;
Coming! O my glorious Priest,
hear we not thy golden bells?

Thou art coming, thou art coming;
we shall meet thee on thy way,
we shall see thee, we shall know thee,
we shall bless thee, we shall show thee
all our hearts could ever say:
what an anthem that will be,
ringing out our love to thee,
pouring out our rapture sweet
at thine own all glorious feet.

Thou art coming; at thy table
we are witnesses for this;
while remembering hearts thou meetest
in communion clearest, sweetest,
earnest of our coming bliss,
showing not thy death alone,
and thy love exceeding great;
but thy coming and thy throne,
all for which we long and wait.

Thou art coming, we are waiting
with a hope that cannot fail,
asking not the day or hour,
resting on thy Word of power,
anchored safe within the veil.
Time appointed may be long,
but the vision must be sure;
certainty shall make us strong,
joyful patience can endure.

O the joy to see thee reigning,
thee, my own beloved Lord!
Every tongue thy Name confessing,
worship, honor, glory, blessing
brought to thee with glad accord;
thee, my Master and my Friend,
vindicated and enthroned;
unto earth's remotest end
glorified, adored, and owned!

SECOND READING [Acts 19:1-10]:

While Apol'los was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to
Ephesus. There he found some disciples. And he said to them, "Did you receive the
Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have never even heard that
there is a Holy Spirit." And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said,
"Into John's baptism." And Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance,
telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus." On
hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid
his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spoke with tongues and
prophesied. There were about twelve of them in all.
And he entered the synagogue and for three months spoke boldly, arguing and
pleading about the kingdom of God; but when some were stubborn and disbelieved,
speaking evil of the Way before the congregation, he withdrew from them, taking the
disciples with him, and argued daily in the hall of Tyran'nus. This continued for two
years, so that all the residents of Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and
Greeks.

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom, saying,
Father, by your Spirit:
bring in your kingdom.

You came in Jesus to bring good news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to the captives,
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name.
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor
and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world
the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn,
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

May the richness of your creation, O God,
and the mystery of your sovereign rule,
lead us to that heavenly city
where all peoples will bring their wealth,
forsake their sins and find their true joy
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
by the preaching of your apostle Paul
you called your servants Timothy and Titus
and made them his trusted partners
in the work of spreading and establishing your gospel.
Strengthen us in this present time
to stand fast in all our adversities
and to live in true godliness,
that with confidence and gladness
we may look for the glorious appearing
of our Savior Jesus Christ;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.