OREMUS: 24 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 23 22:05:35 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Francis de Sales, Bishop of Geneva, Teacher of the Faith, 1622

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 62

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

A Song of the Lord's Anointed (Isaiah 61.1-3,11,6a)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
 because he has anointed me.

He has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed,
 to bind up the broken-hearted,

To proclaim liberty to the captives,
 and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

To proclaim the year of the Lord's favour,
 to comfort all who mourn,

To give them a garland instead of ashes,
 the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
 the mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit,

That they may be called oaks of righteousness,
 the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
 and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall the Lord God make righteousness and praise
 blossom before all the nations.

You shall be called priests of the Lord
 they shall speak of you as ministers of our God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [2 Chronicles 34:1-7]:

Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign; he
reigned for thirty-one years in Jerusalem. He did what
was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in the
ways of his ancestor David; he did not turn aside to the
right or to the left. For in the eighth year of his
reign, while he was still a boy, he began to seek the God
of his ancestor David, and in the twelfth year he began
to purge Judah and Jerusalem of the high places, the
sacred poles, and the carved and the cast images. In his
presence they pulled down the altars of the Baals; he
demolished the incense altars that stood above them. He
broke down the sacred poles and the carved and the cast
images; he made dust of them and scattered it over the
graves of those who had sacrificed to them. He also
burned the bones of the priests on their altars, and
purged Judah and Jerusalem. In the towns of Manasseh,
Ephraim, and Simeon, and as far as Naphtali, in their
ruins all around, he broke down the altars, beat the
sacred poles and the images into powder, and demolished
all the incense altars throughout all the land of Israel.
Then he returned to Jerusalem.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1719
Tune: Alfreton
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t180.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t
180.html

The heavens declare thy glory, Lord,
in every star thy wisdom shines
but when our eyes behold thy Word,
we read thy Name in fairer lines.

Sun, moon, and stars convey thy praise
round the whole earth, and never stand:
so when thy truth begun its race,
it touched and glanced on every land.

Nor shall thy spreading Gospel rest
till through the world thy truth has run,
till Christ has all the nations blest
that see the light or feel the sun.

Great Sun of Righteousness, arise,
bless the dark world with heavenly light;
thy Gospel makes the simple wise,
thy laws are pure, thy judgments right.

Thy noblest wonders here we view
in souls renewed and sins forgiven;
Lord, cleanse my sins, my soul renew,
and make thy word my guide to heaven.

SECOND READING [Acts 10:44-48]:

While Peter was still speaking, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard the word. The
circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astounded that the gift of the
Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles, for they heard them speaking in
tongues and extolling God. Then Peter said, 'Can anyone withhold the water for
baptizing these people who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?' So he
ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they invited him to stay
for several days.

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Eternal Love,
our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
Let your glory shine on us,
that our lives may proclaim your goodness,
our work give you honour,
and our voices praise you forever;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, our Creator and our Goal,
who guided many in the practice of your love
by the ministry of your servant Francis de Sales,
grant us so to live by the grace of Christ
that we may serve you with our prayers,
praise you with our minds,
and show forth your love by our readiness in mercy;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

 Francis de Sales was born in the Savoy district of France in 1567 and ordained
a priest in 1593. At that time the religious and political struggles of the time
had placed under the control of Roman Catholic rulers several regions in which
the people were mostly Protestants. Francis was sent to preach in one such
region near his birthplace, attempting to persuade his hearers to become
Roman Catholics. Since he was seen to be persuasive, he was appointed in
1602 to be Roman Catholic bishop of Geneva, a Calvinist stronghold which
had been captured by the Roman Catholic Duke of Savoy. Here again, he
brought many to his way of thinking. His motto was, "He who preaches with
love, preaches effectively." His numerous controversial tracts are unfailingly
courteous to his opponents. Many Christians who are not at all convinced of
the truth of the Romanist position by his arguments nevertheless read him with
delight because of his obvious love for God and his neighbor.
By no means all of his writings were concerned with disputation. His best
known and best loved treatises were concerned with the life of prayer, and
were written to advise those who wish to become more aware of the presence
of God in their lives. His Introduction to the Devout Life was highly praised by
John Wesley. C.S. Lewis has referred to the "dewy freshness" that permeates
the book. It is available in English, as is his The Love of God. Both have been
used and found helpful by Christians of many different denominations.
In 1604 he met a widow, Jane Frances de Chantal (born at Dijon, 1572, died
12 December 1641), and under his influence she founded a religious order of
nuns called the Order of the Visitation. Their correspondence is an outstanding
example of mutual Christian encouragement and support.
Francis died at Lyons 29 December 1622. Since this date is already spoken for
(Thomas a Becket), he is remembered 24 January. [James Kiefer]