OREMUS: 23 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 22 21:23:17 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Phillips Brooks, Bishop of Massachusetts, 1893

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 68:3-11,19-20,24-31,35-36

Let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home
   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the hand-drums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

Psalm 70

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 36:27-32]:

Now, after the king had burned the scroll with the words
that Baruch wrote at Jeremiah's dictation, the word of
the Lord came to Jeremiah: Take another scroll and write
on it all the former words that were in the first scroll,
which King Jehoiakim of Judah has burned. And concerning
King Jehoiakim of Judah you shall say: Thus says the
Lord, You have dared to burn this scroll, saying, Why
have you written in it that the king of Babylon will
certainly come and destroy this land, and will cut off
from it human beings and animals? Therefore thus says the
Lord concerning King Jehoiakim of Judah: He shall have no
one to sit upon the throne of David, and his dead body
shall be cast out to the heat by day and the frost by
night. And I will punish him and his offspring and his
servants for their iniquity; I will bring on them, and on
the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and on the people of Judah,
all the disasters with which I have threatened them but
they would not listen.
Then Jeremiah took another scroll and gave it to the
secretary Baruch son of Neriah, who wrote on it at
Jeremiah's dictation all the words of the scroll that
King Jehoiakim of Judah had burned in the fire; and many
similar words were added to them.

HYMN
Words: William Cowper, 1779
Tune: Light
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s254.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/
s254.html

Sometimes a light surprises
the Christian while he sings;
it is the Lord who rises
with healing in his wings:
when comforts are declining,
he grants the soul again
a season of clear shining,
to cheer it after rain.

In holy contemplation
we sweetly then pursue
the theme of God's salvation,
and find it ever new;
set free from present sorrow,
we cheerfully can say,
let the unknown tomorrow
bring with it what it may,

It can bring with it nothing
but he will bear us through:
who gives the lilies clothing
will clothe his people, too:
beneath the spreading heavens
no creature but is fed;
and he who feeds the ravens
will give his children bread.

Though vine nor fig tree neither
their wonted fruit should bear,
though all the fields should wither,
nor flocks nor herds be there;
yet, God the same abiding,
his praise shall tune my voice;
for, while in him confiding,
I cannot but rejoice.

SECOND READING [Luke 4:38-44]:

After leaving the synagogue he entered Simon's house. Now Simon's mother-in-law
was suffering from a high fever, and they asked him about her. Then he stood over her
and rebuked the fever, and it left her. Immediately she got up and began to serve
them.
As the sun was setting, all those who had any who were sick with various kinds of
diseases brought them to him; and he laid his hands on each of them and cured them.
Demons also came out of many, shouting, 'You are the Son of God!' But he rebuked
them and would not allow them to speak, because they knew that he was the
Messiah.
At daybreak he departed and went into a deserted place. And the crowds were looking
for him; and when they reached him, they wanted to prevent him from leaving them.
But he said to them, 'I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the
other cities also; for I was sent for this purpose.' So he continued proclaiming the
message in the synagogues of Judea.

We pray to God our Father, saying:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For all Christian people, knit together by your word of life;
and for all who teach and guard the faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who study and translate the Scriptures:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who are mocked and persecuted for their faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who long to know you, and your living Word:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those tempted to forsake your way;
for those whose hearts are hardened and unfeeling,
and for those who threaten war:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those bowed down with grief, fear or sickness, (especially. . .)
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

Giving thanks for those who have died in the faith of Christ,
we rejoice with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary and all your saints,
trusting in the promise of your word fulfilled.
Lord of the Church:
hear our prayer,
and make us one in heart and mind
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

Deliver us, Lord, from every evil,
and grant us peace in our day.
In your mercy keep us free from sin
and protect us from all anxiety,
as we wait in joyful hope
for the coming of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O everlasting God,
you revealed truth to your servant Phillips Brooks,
and so formed and molded his mind and heart
that he was able to mediate the truth with grace and power:
Grant, we pray, that all whom you call to preach the Gospel
may steep themselves in your Word,
and conform their lives to your will;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

Phillips Brooks is best known today as the author of "O Little Town of
Bethlehem." Former generations, however, accounted him the greatest
American preacher of the nineteenth century (and not for lack of other
candidates). His sermons are still read.
He was born in Boston in 1835 and educated at Harvard and at Virginia
Theological Seminary. After ten years of ministry at two churches in
Philadelphia, he returned to Boston in 1869 and was rector of Trinity Church
there until 1891. He was then elected Bishop of Massachusetts, and died two
years later. [James Kiefer]