OREMUS: 22 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 21 19:56:50 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, January 22, 2007
Vincent of Saragossa, Deacon, first Martyr of Spain, 304

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 57

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
   for I have taken refuge in you;*
 in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
   until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
 the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
   he will confound those who trample upon me;*
 God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
 their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
 they have dug a pit before me
   but have fallen into it themselves.
 and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13:4-13)

Love is patient and kind,
 love is not jealous or boastful,
 it is not arrogant or rude.

Love does not insist on its own way,
 It is not angry or resentful.

It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
 but rejoices in the truth.

Love bears all things and believes all things;
 love hopes all things and endures all things.

Love will never come to an end,
 but prophecy will vanish,
 tongues cease and knowledge pass away.

Now we know only in part
 and we prophesy only in part,

But when the perfect comes,
 the partial shall pass away.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
 I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.

But when I became mature,
 I put an end to childish ways.

For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
 but then we will see face to face.

Now I know only in part;
 then I shall know fully,
 even as I have been fully known.

There are three things that last for ever,
  faith, hope and love,
 but the greatest of these is love.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 36:11-26]:

When Micaiah son of Gemariah son of Shaphan heard all the
words of the Lord from the scroll, he went down to the
king's house, into the secretary's chamber; and all the
officials were sitting there: Elishama the secretary,
Delaiah son of Shemaiah, Elnathan son of Achbor, Gemariah
son of Shaphan, Zedekiah son of Hananiah, and all the
officials. And Micaiah told them all the words that he
had heard, when Baruch read the scroll in the hearing of
the people. Then all the officials sent Jehudi son of
Nethaniah son of Shelemiah son of Cushi to say to Baruch,
'Bring the scroll that you read in the hearing of the
people, and come.' So Baruch son of Neriah took the
scroll in his hand and came to them. And they said to
him, 'Sit down and read it to us.' So Baruch read it to
them. When they heard all the words, they turned to one
another in alarm, and said to Baruch, 'We certainly must
report all these words to the king.' Then they questioned
Baruch, 'Tell us now, how did you write all these words?
Was it at his dictation?' Baruch answered them, 'He
dictated all these words to me, and I wrote them with ink
on the scroll.' Then the officials said to Baruch, 'Go
and hide, you and Jeremiah, and let no one know where you
are.'
Leaving the scroll in the chamber of Elishama the
secretary, they went to the court of the king; and they
reported all the words to the king. Then the king sent
Jehudi to get the scroll, and he took it from the chamber
of Elishama the secretary; and Jehudi read it to the king
and all the officials who stood beside the king. Now the
king was sitting in his winter apartment (it was the
ninth month), and there was a fire burning in the brazier
before him. As Jehudi read three or four columns, the
king would cut them off with a penknife and throw them
into the fire in the brazier, until the entire scroll was
consumed in the fire that was in the brazier. Yet neither
the king, nor any of his servants who heard all these
words, was alarmed, nor did they tear their garments.
Even when Elnathan and Delaiah and Gemariah urged the
king not to burn the scroll, he would not listen to them.
And the king commanded Jerahmeel the king's son and
Seraiah son of Azriel and Shelemiah son of Abdeel to
arrest the secretary Baruch and the prophet Jeremiah. But
the Lord hid them.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1835
Tune: Moving Tent, Nearer Home, Llanllyfni
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f189.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f
189.html

"For ever with the Lord!"
Amen; so let it be;
life from the dead is in that word,
'tis immortality.
Here in the body pent,
absent from him I roam,
yet nightly pitch my moving tent
a day's march nearer home.

My Father's house on high,
home of the soul, how near!
At times to faith's foreseeing eye
thy golden gates appear!
Ah! then my spirit faints,
to reach the land I love,
the bright inheritance of saints,
Jerusalem above.

"For ever with the Lord!"
Father, if 'tis thy will,
the promise of that faithful word
even here to me fulfill.
Be thou at my right hand,
then can I never fail;
uphold thou me, and I shall stand,
fight, and I must prevail.

So when my latest breath
shall rend the veil in twain,
by death I shall escape from death,
and life eternal gain.
Knowing as I am known,
how shall I love that word,
and oft repeat before the throne,
"For ever with the Lord!"

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 7:2-12]:

Make room in your hearts for us; we have wronged no one, we have corrupted no
one, we have taken advantage of no one. I do not say this to condemn you, for I said
before that you are in our hearts, to die together and to live together. I often boast
about you; I have great pride in you; I am filled with consolation; I am overjoyed in all
our affliction.
For even when we came into Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were afflicted
in every way disputes without and fears within. But God, who consoles the
downcast, consoled us by the arrival of Titus, and not only by his coming, but also by
the consolation with which he was consoled about you, as he told us of your longing,
your mourning, your zeal for me, so that I rejoiced still more. For even if I made you
sorry with my letter, I do not regret it (though I did regret it, for I see that I grieved
you with that letter, though only briefly). Now I rejoice, not because you were
grieved, but because your grief led to repentance; for you felt a godly grief, so that
you were not harmed in any way by us. For godly grief produces a repentance that
leads to salvation and brings no regret, but worldly grief produces death. For see what
earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, what eagerness to clear yourselves,
what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what zeal, what punishment! At every
point you have proved yourselves guiltless in the matter. So although I wrote to you, it
was not on account of the one who did the wrong, nor on account of the one who was
wronged, but in order that your zeal for us might be made known to you before God.

you bring your chosen people together in one communion,
in the body of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
We rejoice in your light and your peace
for your whole Church in heaven and on earth.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to all who mourn a sure confidence in your loving care,
that we may cast all our sorrow on you,
and know the consolation of your love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give your faithful people pardon and peace,
that we may be cleansed from all our sins,
and serve you with a quiet mind.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give us strength to meet the days ahead
in the joyful expectation of eternal life with those you love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to us who are still in our pilgrimage,
and who walk as yet by faith,
your Holy Spirit to lead us
in holiness and righteousness all our days.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

May all who have been made one with Christ
in his death and in his resurrection
die to sin and rise to newness of life.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

How generous is your goodness, O God,
how great is your salvation,
how faithful is your love!
Help us to trust in you in trial,
to praise you in deliverance
and to rejoice before you with overflowing hearts;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of boundless compassion,
who made your holy deacon Vincent
a worthy partner in the sufferings of Christ,
strengthen us to endure all adversity
with invincible and steadfast faith,
that our assurance of your saving justice
may vanquish all dangers that assault our bodies
and all wounds that would harm our souls;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.