OREMUS: 14 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 13 18:16:40 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, January 14, 2007
The Second Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, God of steadfast love,
turning the mundane into profound
to give us delight and wonder in the unexpected.
You transform our hearts by your Spirit,
that we may use our varied gifts
to show forth the light of your love
as one body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 54:1-8]:

Sing, O barren one who did not bear;
   burst into song and shout,
   you who have not been in labour!
For the children of the desolate woman will be more
   than the children of her that is married, says the Lord.
Enlarge the site of your tent,
   and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out;
do not hold back; lengthen your cords
   and strengthen your stakes.
For you will spread out to the right and to the left,
   and your descendants will possess the nations
   and will settle the desolate towns.

Do not fear, for you will not be ashamed;
   do not be discouraged, for you will not suffer disgrace;
for you will forget the shame of your youth,
   and the disgrace of your widowhood you will remember no more.
For your Maker is your husband,
   the Lord of hosts is his name;
the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer,
   the God of the whole earth he is called.
For the Lord has called you
   like a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit,
like the wife of a man's youth when she is cast off,
   says your God.
For a brief moment I abandoned you,
   but with great compassion I will gather you.
In overflowing wrath for a moment
   I hid my face from you,
but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,
   says the Lord, your Redeemer.

HYMN
Words: John Keble, 1827
Tune: St. Flavian
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t431.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t
431.html

There is a book, who runs may read,
which heavenly truth imparts,
and all the lore its scholars need,
pure eyes and Christian hearts.

The works of God above, below,
within us and around,
are pages in that book, to shew
how God himself is found.

The glorious sky embracing all
is like the Maker's love,
wherewith encompassed, great and small
in peace and order move.

The moon above, the Church below,
a wondrous race they run,
but all their radiance, all their glow,
each borrows of its Sun.

The Savior lends the light and heat
that crowns his holy hill;
the saints, like stars, around his seat,
perform their courses still.

The saints above are stars in heaven
what are the saints on earth?
Like trees they stand whom God has given,
our Eden's happy birth.

Faith is their fixed unswerving root,
hope their unfading flower,
fair deeds of charity their fruit,
the glory of their bower.

The dew of heaven is like thy grace,
it steals in silence down;
but where it lights, the favored place
by richest fruits is known.

One Name above all glorious names
with its ten thousand tongues
the everlasting sea proclaims,
echoing angelic songs.

The raging fire, the roaring wind,
thy boundless power display:
but in the gentler breeze we find
thy Spirit's viewless way.

Two worlds are ours: 'tis only sin
forbids us to descry
the mystic heaven and earth within,
plain as the sea and sky.

Thou, who hast given me eyes to see
and love this sight so fair,
give me a heart to find out thee,
and read thee everywhere.

SECOND READING [Romans 12:9-21]:

Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with
mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honour. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent
in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer.
Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who
rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be
haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. Do not
repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If it is
possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge
yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine,
I will repay, says the Lord.' No, 'if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are
thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on
their heads.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose Son our Savior Jesus Christ
is the light of the world:
Grant that your people,
 illumined by your Word and Sacraments,
may shine with the radiance of Christ's glory,
that he may be known, worshiped, and obeyed
to the ends of the earth;
 through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Stir us with your voice
and enlighten our lives with your grace
that we may give ourselves fully
to Christ's call to mission and ministry. Amen.