OREMUS: 13 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 12 20:21:11 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, January 13, 2007
Hilary, Bishop of Poitiers, Teacher of the Faith, 367

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
you spoke your word
and revealed your Good News in Jesus, the Christ.
You fill all creation with that Word,
so that by proclaiming your joyful promises to all nations
and singing of your glorious hope to all peoples,
we may become one living body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 4:1-4]:

If you return, O Israel,
says the Lord,
   if you return to me,
if you remove your abominations from my presence,
   and do not waver,
and if you swear, 'As the Lord lives!'
   in truth, in justice, and in uprightness,
then nations shall be blessed by him,
   and by him they shall boast.

For thus says the Lord to the people of Judah and to the
inhabitants of Jerusalem:
Break up your fallow ground,
   and do not sow among thorns.
Circumcise yourselves to the Lord,
   remove the foreskin of your hearts,
   O people of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem,
or else my wrath will go forth like fire,
   and burn with no one to quench it,
   because of the evil of your doings.

HYMN
Words: John White Chadwick, 1864
Tune: Song 1
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e053.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/
e053.html

Eternal Ruler of the ceaseless round
of circling planets singing on their way,
Guide of the nation from the night profound
into the glory of the perfect day;
rule in our hearts, that we may ever be
guided and strengthened and upheld by thee.

We are of thee, the children of thy love,
the brothers of thy well-beloved Son;
descend, O Holy Spirit, like a dove
into our hearts, that we may be as one:
as one with thee, to whom we ever tend;
as one with him, our Brother and our Friend.

We would be one in hatred of all wrong,
one in the love of all things sweet and fair,
one with the joy that breaketh into song,
one with the grief that trembleth into prayer;
one in the power that makes thy children free
to follow truth, and thus to follow thee.

Oh, clothe us with thy heavenly armor, Lord,
thy trusty shield, thy sword of love divine;
our inspiration be thy constant word,
we ask no victories that are not thine;
give or withhold, let pain or pleasure be;
enough to know that we are serving thee.

SECOND READING [Luke 11:14-23]:

Now Jesus was casting out a demon that was mute; when the demon had gone out, the
one who had been mute spoke, and the crowds were amazed. But some of them said,
'He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons.' Others, to test him, kept
demanding from him a sign from heaven. But he knew what they were thinking and
said to them, 'Every kingdom divided against itself becomes a desert, and house falls
on house. If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand?  for
you say that I cast out the demons by Beelzebul. Now if I cast out the demons by
Beelzebul, by whom do your exorcists cast them out? Therefore they will be your
judges. But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out the demons, then the kingdom of
God has come to you. When a strong man, fully armed, guards his castle, his property
is safe. But when one stronger than he attacks him and overpowers him, he takes away
his armour in which he trusted and divides his plunder. Whoever is not with me is
against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.'

In every time of trouble,
you, O God, are a very present help.
You are with us, sustaining our world in freedom,
restraining the powers of darkness, of death and of destruction;
embracing us all with arms of love, to enfold and to hold.
And so we bring to you our prayers for ourselves,
for those we love, and for our world.

We pray for ourselves and our own needs:
Whatever you would have us to be;
whatever we need to love our neighbor as ourselves,
whatever we need to love one another:
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those we love:
Our hopes and dreams for them;
our anguish and anxiety on their behalf;
our desire to make life easier for them.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for our world:
Our pain at what we have done to creation;
our wonder at the beauty of that which we have not yet spoiled;
our calling to establish justice and peace.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

Lord God, whom we worship in the beauty of holiness,
receive our prayer;
as we tell out your salvation
and declare your glory to all nations,
that all the earth may see your righteous deeds
and glorify your holy name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Hilary
steadfastly confessed your Son Jesus Christ
   to be both human and divine:
grant us his gentle courtesy
to bring to all the message of redemption
   in the incarnate Christ,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gather the whole universe into your radiant presence
and continually reveal your Son as our Savior,
that all wounds may be healed,
all that is broken may be made whole,
all illusion will be overcome
by the truth found in the Light of Christ. Amen.

Hilary of Poitiers (315-367) lived during the great controversy between
Athanasius, who taught that the Son is fully God, equally with the Father, and
Arius, who denied this.
Hilary is sometimes called "the Athanasius of the West." He was bishop of
Poitiers, and when he refused to sign a condemnation of Athanasius, the Arian
emperor Constantius (one of the sons of Constantine) banished him to Phrygia
in 357. His exile lasted three years, during which time he wrote several essays,
including On The Trinity. Finally the Emperor was forced to send him back to
Gaul because he was causing such difficulties for the Arians in the East. In 364,
he journeyed to Milan, where he engaged in public debate with the Arian
bishop Auxentius, and persuaded him of the error of his ways. [James
Kiefer]