OREMUS: 10 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 9 21:29:10 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 10, 2007
William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1645

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
you spoke your word
and revealed your Good News in Jesus, the Christ.
You fill all creation with that Word,
so that by proclaiming your joyful promises to all nations
and singing of your glorious hope to all peoples,
we may become one living body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 18:1-32

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.
The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
 because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
 and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
 and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
 and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
   according to my righteous dealing,*
 because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
 with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
 but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
 but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Numbers 27:1-11]:

The daughters of Zelophehad came forward. Zelophehad was
son of Hepher son of Gilead son of Machir son of Manasseh
son of Joseph, a member of the Manassite clans. The names
of his daughters were: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and
Tirzah. They stood before Moses, Eleazar the priest, the
leaders, and all the congregation, at the entrance of the
tent of meeting, and they said, 'Our father died in the
wilderness; he was not among the company of those who
gathered themselves together against the Lord in the
company of Korah, but died for his own sin; and he had no
sons. Why should the name of our father be taken away
from his clan because he had no son? Give to us a
possession among our father's brothers.'
Moses brought their case before the Lord. And the Lord
spoke to Moses, saying: The daughters of Zelophehad are
right in what they are saying; you shall indeed let them
possess an inheritance among their father's brothers and
pass the inheritance of their father on to them. You
shall also say to the Israelites, 'If a man dies, and has
no son, then you shall pass his inheritance on to his
daughter. If he has no daughter, then you shall give his
inheritance to his brothers. If he has no brothers, then
you shall give his inheritance to his father's brothers.
And if his father has no brothers, then you shall give
his inheritance to the nearest kinsman of his clan, and
he shall possess it. It shall be for the Israelites a
statute and ordinance, as the Lord commanded Moses.'

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Genevan Psalm 130, Llangloffan, Moville, King's Lynn, Aurelia

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l145.html

Light of the minds that know him,
may Christ be light to mine!
My sun in risen splendor,
my light of truth divine;
my guide in doubt and darkness,
my true and living way,
my clear light ever shining,
my dawn of heaven's day.

Life of the souls that love him,
may Christ be ours indeed!
The living Bread from heaven
on whom our spirits feed;
who died for love of sinners
to bear our guilty load,
and make of life's journey
a new Emmaus road.

Strength of the wills that serve him,
may Christ be strength to me,
who stilled the storm and tempest,
who calmed the tossing sea;
his Spirit's power to move me,
his will to master mine,
his cross to carry daily
and conquer in his sign.

May it be ours to know him
that we may truly love,
and loving, fully serve him
as serve the saints above;
till in that home of glory
with fadeless splendor bright,
we serve in perfect freedom
our strength, our life, our light.

SECOND READING [Luke 11:33-36]:

Jesus said, 'No one after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar, but on the lampstand so that
those who enter may see the light. Your eye is the lamp of your body. If your eye is
healthy, your whole body is full of light; but if it is not healthy, your body is full of
darkness. Therefore consider whether the light in you is not darkness. If then your
whole body is full of light, with no part of it in darkness, it will be as full of light as
when a lamp gives you light with its rays.'

Creator God,
from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
we commend all your people
to your tender care and safekeeping.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Protect all who are work in mines, tend machinery,
or travel by land, sea or air.
Defend those in mortal danger because of evil surrounding them.
Fill every hospital and nursing home
with your spirit of healing and love.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Govern our nation and its leaders,
that all that mars our social life and causes misery may be relieved,
that each person may have access to work, homes, food and health care.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Break down the suspicions and fears that keep the nations apart.
Rebuke those who foster prejudice.
Teach us all to live together in the peace of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Grant to every member of your Church
the faith that removes obstacles,
the hope that makes all things new
and the love that brings deliverance,
that we more effectively serve you
and bring others to the knowledge of your truth.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Guard us, O Lord, with the shield of faith
and fight for us with the sword of the Spirit,
that in all our spiritual warfare
   against the powers of darkness
we may gain the victory
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, the everlasting Sovereign,
you ordain the whole of our nature
for delight in the beauty of holiness,
that we may reverence you with our bodies
even as we worship you with our souls.
Lead us in the way of your servant William Laud,
and grant us so to be mindful of his service
that we may never grow weary in our earnest care
for the integrity and welfare of your Church;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gather the whole universe into your radiant presence
and continually reveal your Son as our Savior,
that all wounds may be healed,
all that is broken may be made whole,
all illusion will be overcome
by the truth found in the Light of Christ. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1984 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this text in all territories except the UK, Europe & Africa,
contact:
Hope Publishing Company, <a
href="http://www.hopepublishing.com">www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England