OREMUS: 6 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 5 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, January 6, 2007
The Epiphany

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
 to you be glory and praise for ever.
Your light springs up for the righteous
and all the peoples have seen your glory.
You gave the Christ as a light to the nations,
and through the anointing of the Spirit
you established us as a royal priesthood.
You call us into your marvelous light,
that our lives may bear witness to your truth
and our lips never cease to proclaim your praise.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 84

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 87

On the holy mountain stands the city he has founded;*
 the Lord loves the gates of Zion
   more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
Glorious things are spoken of you,*
 O city of our God.
I count Egypt and Babylon among those who know me;*
 behold Philistia, Tyre and Ethiopia:
   in Zion were they born.
Of Zion it shall be said, 'Everyone was born in her,*
 and the Most High himself shall sustain her.'
The Lord will record as he enrols the peoples,*
 'These also were born there.'
The singers and the dancers will say,*
 'All my fresh springs are in you.'

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.

Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;

Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.

The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.

Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.

The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.

You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.

No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;

But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.

For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Numbers 24:12-17a]:

And Balaam said to Balak, 'Did I not tell your messengers
whom you sent to me, "If Balak should give me his house
full of silver and gold, I would not be able to go beyond
the word of the LORD, to do either good or bad of my own
will; what the LORD says, that is what I will say"? So
now, I am going to my people; let me advise you what this
people will do to your people in days to come.'

So he uttered his oracle, saying:
'The oracle of Balaam son of Beor,
   the oracle of the man whose eye is clear,
the oracle of one who hears the words of God,
   and knows the knowledge of the Most High,
who sees the vision of the Almighty,
   who falls down, but with his eyes uncovered:
I see him, but not now;
   I behold him, but not near
a star shall come out of Jacob,
   and a sceptre shall rise out of Israel.

HYMN
Words: Christopher Smart (1722-1771)
Tune:  Rustington, Kit Smart, Ottery St. Mary, Castiglione
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w407.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w407.ht
ml

Where is this stupendous stranger?
Prophets, shepherds, kings, advise.
Lead me to my Master's manger,
show me where my Savior lies.
O Most Mighty! O Most Holy!
Far beyond the seraph's thought:
art thou then so weak and lowly
as unheeded prophets taught?

O the magnitude of meekness!
Worth from worth immortal sprung;
O the strength of infant weakness,
if eternal is so young!
God all-bounteous, all-creative,
whom no ills from good dissuade,
is incarnate, and a native
of the very world he made.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 4:17-5:1]:

Now this I affirm and insist on in the Lord: you must no longer live as the Gentiles live, in the
futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God
because of their ignorance and hardness of heart. They have lost all sensitivity and have
abandoned themselves to licentiousness, greedy to practise every kind of impurity. That is not the
way you learned Christ! For surely you have heard about him and were taught in him, as truth is
in Jesus. You were taught to put away your former way of life, your old self, corrupt and deluded
by its lusts, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to clothe yourselves with the new
self, created according to the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbours, for we are
members of one another. Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and
do not make room for the devil. Thieves must give up stealing; rather let them labour and work
honestly with their own hands, so as to have something to share with the needy. Let no evil talk
come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your
words may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which
you were marked with a seal for the day of redemption. Put away from you all bitterness and
wrath and anger and wrangling and slander, together with all malice, and be kind to one another,
tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you.
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
God,
whose promise is for all nations,
sustain the Christmas glory still.
May the Lord shine upon us
and by the Holy Spirit reveal your plan.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for God's light:

silence

May the nations walk by your light
and kings and queens by your shining radiance.
Let all search together for profound peace.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for those without strength:

silence

Save the lives of the poor.
Rescue them when they cry out.
Govern your people with justice
and your afflicted ones with careful judgment.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for unity among all believers.

silence

Bring the new epiphany
where all will share the promise and rise in splendor.
In the Spirit, all are called to love.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Everlasting God,
the radiance of faithful souls,
who brought the nations to your light
and kings to the brightness of your rising:
Fill the world with your glory,
and show yourself to all the nations;
through him who is the true light and the bright morning star,
Jesus Christ your Son, our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ, the Son of God, be manifest to us
that our lives may be a light to the world. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving (slightly altered) and the canticle is from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession (adapted) and the closing sentence are from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.