OREMUS: 5 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 4 21:47:17 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, January 5, 2007

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 98

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.<td
colspan=2>
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of Hannah (1 Samuel 2.1-2,3b-5,7-8)

My soul exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in my God.

My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in your salvation.

There is no Holy One like you, O Lord,
nor any Rock like you, our God.

For you are a God of knowledge
and by you our actions are weighed.

The bows of the mighty are broken,
but the feeble gird on strength.

Those who were full now hire themselves out for bread,
but those who were hungry are well fed.

The barren woman has borne sevenfold,
but she who has many children is forlorn.

Both the poor and the rich are of your making;
you bring low and you also exalt.

You raise up the poor from the dust,
and lift the needy from the ash heap.

You make them sit with the rulers
and inherit a place of honour.

For the pillars of the earth are yours
and on them you have set the world.

FIRST READING [Sirach 24:1-12]:

Wisdom praises herself,
   and tells of her glory in the midst of her people.
In the assembly of the Most High she opens her mouth,
   and in the presence of his hosts she tells of her glory:
'I came forth from the mouth of the Most High,
   and covered the earth like a mist.
I dwelt in the highest heavens,
   and my throne was in a pillar of cloud.
Alone I compassed the vault of heaven
   and traversed the depths of the abyss.
Over waves of the sea, over all the earth,
   and over every people and nation I have held sway.
Among all these I sought a resting-place;
   in whose territory should I abide?

'Then the Creator of all things gave me a command,
   and my Creator chose the place for my tent.
He said, "Make your dwelling in Jacob,
   and in Israel receive your inheritance."
Before the ages, in the beginning, he created me,
   and for all the ages I shall not cease to be.
In the holy tent I ministered before him,
   and so I was established in Zion.
Thus in the beloved city he gave me a resting-place,
   and in Jerusalem was my domain.
I took root in an honoured people,
   in the portion of the Lord, his heritage.

HYMN
Words: Godfrey Thring, 1873
Tune: Evelyns, King's Weston
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f289.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f289.html

>From the eastern mountains, pressing on, they come,
wise men in their wisdom, to his humble home;
stirred by deep devotion, hasting from afar,
ever journeying onward, guided by a star.

There their Lord and Savior meek and lowly lay,
wondrous Light that led them onward on their way,
ever now to lighten nations from afar,
as they journey homeward by that guiding star.

Thou who in a manger once hast lowly lain,
who dost now in glory o'er all kingdoms reign,
gather in the heathen who in lands afar
ne'er have seen the brightness of thy guiding star.

Onward through the darkness of the lonely night,
shining still before them with thy kindly light.
Guide them, Jew and Gentile, homeward from afar,
young and old together, by thy guiding Star.

Until every nation, whether bond or free,
'neath thy starlit banner, Jesus, follows thee.
O'er the distant mountains to that heavenly home,
where nor sin nor sorrow evermore shall come.

SECOND READING [Galatians 4:4-7]:

But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law,
in order to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children.
And because you are children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba!
Father!' So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
In this season of shining hope, let us call to mind the prophet's vision:
If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
Your light shall rise in the darkness and your gloom be like the noon day.

God of tender compassion:
Hear the cry of your children whose hope is faint.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Ruler of all nations, prince of peace:
Bring an end to violence and the starvation linked with war.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Promised Savior,
who will faithfully bring forth justice:
Overturn oppression and greed;
raise up those whom the world has brought low.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Holy child, stable-born:
Provide warm shelter for the homeless poor,
and help us to see you in every guest.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Infant of Bethlehem, brought in haste to Egypt:
Console all driven from home by cruel threat,
and protect all who must wander in search of refuge.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord God, just and true,
you make your salvation known in the sight of the nations;
let the song of our hearts echo the music of your creation,
as you come among us to judge the earth
in our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May he who by his incarnation gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central