OREMUS: 4 January 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 3 17:56:57 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, January 4, 2007

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.<td
colspan=2>
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 6:1-5]:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem
of his robe filled the temple. Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two
they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. And one
called to another and said:
'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory.'
The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with
smoke. And I said: 'Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a
people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!'

HYMN
Words: (c) Timothy Dudley-Smith
Tune: Newtown St. Luke
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c009.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c009.html

Child of the stable's secret birth,
the Lord by right of the lords of earth,
let angels sing of a King newborn,
the world is weaving a crown of thorn:
a crown of thorn for that infant head
cradled soft in the manger bed.

Eyes that shine in the lantern's ray;
a face so small in its nest of hay,
face of a child who is born to scan
the world he made through the eyes of man:
and from that face in the final day
earth and heaven shall flee away.

Voice that rang through the courts on high,
contracted now to a wordless cry,
a voice to master the wind and wave,
the human heart and the hungry grave:
the voice of God through the cedar trees
rolling forth as the sound of seas.

Infant hands in a mother's hand,
for none but Mary may understand
whose are the hands and the fingers curled
but his who fashioned and made the world;
and through these hands in the hour of death
nails shall strike to the wood beneath.

Child of the stable's secret birth,
the Father's gift to a wayward earth,
to drain the cup in a few short years
of all our sorrows , our sins, and tears--
ours the prize for the road he trod:
risen with Christ; at peace with God.

SECOND READING [Acts 7:44-53]:

Peter said, 'Our ancestors had the tent of testimony in the wilderness, as God directed when he
spoke to Moses, ordering him to make it according to the pattern he had seen. Our ancestors in
turn brought it in with Joshua when they dispossessed the nations that God drove out before our
ancestors. And it was there until the time of David, who found favour with God and asked that he
might find a dwelling-place for the house of Jacob. But it was Solomon who built a house for him.
Yet the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands; as the prophet says,
"Heaven is my throne,
   and the earth is my footstool.
What kind of house will you build for me, says the Lord,
   or what is the place of my rest?
Did not my hand make all these things?"

'You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you are for ever opposing the Holy
Spirit, just as your ancestors used to do. Which of the prophets did your ancestors not persecute?
They killed those who foretold the coming of the Righteous One, and now you have become his
betrayers and murderers. You are the ones that received the law as ordained by angels, and yet
you have not kept it.'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
With each new day, O God of love and light,
we catch fresh glimpses of your presence with us,
and rejoice that you are Emmanuel, God-with-us,
even when we do not sense your presence.

As we recall again the story of this season,
we pray for all who receive you in surprising ways...
Incarnate God of peace
hear our prayer.

For those who prepare a place for you,
even in the mangers of this life...
Incarnate God of peace
hear our prayer.

For those whose lives are too full
to bid you welcome...
Incarnate God of peace
hear our prayer.

For those who hear good tidings of great joy
and hasten to share the good news...
Incarnate God of peace
hear our prayer.

O God,
who wonderfully created,
and yet more wonderfully restored,
the dignity of human nature:
Grant that we may share the divine life of him
who humbled himself to share our humanity,
your Son Jesus Christ;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May he who by his incarnation gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

Hymn (c) 1983 Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this text in all territories except the UK, Europe &
Africa, contact:
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith, 9
Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The
Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.