OREMUS: 1 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Feb 28 21:06:58 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, March 1, 2007
David, Bishop of Menevia, Patron of Wales, c.601

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 35

Fight those who fight me, O Lord;*
 attack those who are attacking me.
Take up shield and armour*
 and rise up to help me.
Draw the sword and bar the way
   against those who pursue me;*
 say to my soul, 'I am your salvation.'
Let those who seek after my life be shamed and humbled;*
 let those who plot my ruin fall back and be dismayed.
Then I will be joyful in the Lord;*
 I will glory in his victory.
My very bones will say, 'Lord, who is like you?*
 You deliver the poor
   from those who are too strong for them,
   the poor and needy from those who rob them.'
Malicious witnesses rise up against me;*
 they charge me with matters I know nothing about.
They pay me evil in exchange for good;*
 my soul is full of despair.
But when they were sick I dressed in sack-cloth*
 and humbled myself by fasting;
I prayed with my whole heart,
   as one would for a friend or a brother;*
 I behaved like one who mourns for his mother,
   bowed down and grieving.
But when I stumbled,
   they were glad and gathered together;
   they gathered against me;*
 strangers whom I did not know
   tore me to pieces and would not stop.
They put me to the test and mocked me;*
 they gnashed at me with their teeth.
O Lord, how long will you look on?*
 rescue me from the roaring beasts,
   and my life from the young lions.
I will give you thanks in the great congregation;*
 I will praise you in the mighty throng.
Do not let my treacherous foes rejoice over me,*
 nor let those who hate me without a cause
   wink at each other.
For they do not plan for peace,*
 but invent deceitful schemes
   against the quiet in the land.
They opened their mouths at me and said,*
 'Aha! we saw it with our own eyes.'
You saw it, O Lord; do not be silent;*
 O Lord, be not far from me.
Awake, arise, to my cause!*
 to my defence, my God and my Lord!
Give me justice, O Lord my God,
   according to your righteousness;*
 do not let them triumph over me.
Do not let them say in their hearts,
   'Aha! just what we want!'*
 Do not let them say, 'We have swallowed him up.'
Let all who rejoice at my ruin be ashamed and disgraced;*
 let those who boast against me
   be clothed with dismay and shame.
Let those who favour my cause
   sing out with joy and be glad;*
 let them say always, 'Great is the Lord,
   who desires the prosperity of his servant.'
And my tongue shall be talking of your righteousness*
 and of your praise all the day long.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2:2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.

You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.

Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?

The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.

As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay,
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Genesis 13:1-7,14-18]:

So Abram went up from Egypt, he and his wife and all that
he had, and Lot with him, into the Negeb.
Now Abram was very rich in livestock, in silver, and in
gold. He journeyed on by stages from the Negeb as far as
Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the
beginning, between Bethel and Ai, to the place where he
had made an altar at the first; and there Abram called on
the name of the Lord. Now Lot, who went with Abram, also
had flocks and herds and tents, so that the land could
not support both of them living together; for their
possessions were so great that they could not live
together, and there was strife between the herders of
Abram's livestock and the herders of Lot's livestock. At
that time the Canaanites and the Perizzites lived in the
land.
The Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him,
'Raise your eyes now, and look from the place where you
are, northwards and southwards and eastwards and
westwards; for all the land that you see I will give to
you and to your offspring for ever. I will make your
offspring like the dust of the earth; so that if one can
count the dust of the earth, your offspring also can be
counted. Rise up, walk through the length and the breadth
of the land, for I will give it to you.' So Abram moved
his tent, and came and settled by the oaks of Mamre,
which are at Hebron; and there he built an altar to the
Lord.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Kelly, 1815
Tune: Bow Brickhill, Breslau, Ach bleib bei uns

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w146.html

We sing the praise of him who died,
of him who died upon the cross;
the sinner's hope let men deride;
for this we count the world but loss.

Inscribed upon the cross we see
in shining letters, God is love:
he bears our sins upon the tree:
he brings us mercy from above.

The cross: it takes our guilt away,
it holds the fainting spirit up;
it cheers with hope the gloomy day,
and sweetens every bitter cup.

It makes the coward spirit brave,
and nerves the feeble arm for fight;
it takes its terror from the grave,
and gilds the bed of death with light.

The balm of life, the cure of woe,
the measure and the pledge of love,
the sinner's refuge here below,
the angel's theme in heaven above.

SECOND READING [Philippians 3:2-12]:

Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of those who mutilate the
flesh! For it is we who are the circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and
boast in Christ Jesus and have no confidence in the flesh  even though I, too, have
reason for confidence in the flesh.
If anyone else has reason to be confident in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the
eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born
of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to
righteousness under the law, blameless.
Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ. More
than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing
Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard
them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a
righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but one that comes through faith in
Christ, the righteousness from God based on faith. I want to know Christ and the
power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his
death, if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on
to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.

Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so
you have scattered the power of death in the rising of
Jesus Christ, and you bring us all blessings in him.
Especially we thank you for
     the community of faith in our church...
                (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your
victory over all that would destroy or harm, and you
brighten the lives of all who need you. Especially we pray
for
     families suffering separation...
                (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...

Strengthen us, O Lord, by your grace,
that in your might we may overcome all spiritual enemies,
and with pure hearts serve you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
who called your servant David
to be a faithful and wise steward of your mysteries
      for the people of Wales:
in your mercy, grant that,
following his purity of life and zeal for the gospel of Christ,
we may with him receive the crown of everlasting life;

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

When the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded Britain in the fifth and sixth centuries,
many British Christians sought refuge in the hill country of Wales. There they
developed a style of Christian life devoted to learning, asceticism, and
missionary fervor. Since there were no cities, the centers of culture were the
monasteries, and most abbots were bishops as well. Dewi (David in English)
was the founder, abbot, and bishop of the monastery of Mynyw (Menevia in
English) in Pembrokeshire. He was responsible for much of the spread of
Christianity in Wales, and his monastery was sought out by many scholars from
Ireland and elsewhere. He is commonly accounted the apostle of Wales, as
Patrick is of Ireland. His tomb is in St. David's cathedral, on the site of ancient
Mynyw, now called Ty-Dewi (House of David).
The ancient custom in Wales, as throughout Celtic Christendom, was to have
bishops who were abbots of monasteries, and who had no clear territorial
jurisdiction, simply traveling about as they were needed. Eventually, however,
the bishops of Bangor, Llandaff, St. Asaph, and St. Davids became the heads
of four territorial dioceses, to which the diocese of Monmouth and the diocese
of Swansea and Brecon have been added in this century.
For many centuries the Church in Wales had closer ties with the Celtic
Churches in Scotland, Ireland, and Brittany than with the Church in
Anglo-Saxon England. However, after the Norman conquest of Britain (1066
and after), the Anglo-Norman Kings began to contemplate the conquest of
Wales. William the Conqueror began with the subjugation of South Wales as
far as Carmathen, but the Welsh uplands remained independent far longer, and
the conquest was not complete until about 1300, under Edward I. But
eventually all of Wales came under English control, and the Church in Wales
was placed under the jurisdiction of Canterbury, and thus became identified in
the minds of many with the English supremacy. In 1920 the Church in Wales
(Eglwys yng Nghymru) became independent of outside jurisdiction (though
still in communion with other Anglican Churches, in England and elsewhere)
and clear of all ties with the government. It is bilingual and active in the
preservation of the Welsh language and culture.