OREMUS: 28 February 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Wed Feb 28 13:16:56 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
    let me never be put to shame;*
  deliver me in your righteousness.
Incline your ear to me;*
  make haste to deliver me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
    for you are my crag and my stronghold;*
  for the sake of your name, lead me and guide me.
Take me out of the net
    that they have secretly set for me,*
  for you are my tower of strength.
Into your hands I commend my spirit,*
  for you have redeemed me,
    O Lord, O God of truth.
I hate those who cling to worthless idols,*
  and I put my trust in the Lord.
I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy;*
  for you have seen my affliction;
    you know my distress.
You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy;*
  you have set my feet in an open place.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble;*
  my eye is consumed with sorrow,
    and also my throat and my belly.
For my life is wasted with grief,
    and my years with sighing;*
  my strength fails me because of affliction,
    and my bones are consumed.
I have become a reproach to all my enemies
    and even to my neighbours,
    a dismay to those of my acquaintance;*
  when they see me in the street they avoid me.
I am forgotten like the dead, out of mind;*
  I am as useless as a broken pot.
For I have heard the whispering of the crowd;
    fear is all around;*
  they put their heads together against me;
    they plot to take my life.
But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord.*
  I have said, ‘You are my God.
‘My times are in your hand;*
  rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
    and from those who persecute me.
‘Make your face to shine upon your servant,*
  and in your loving-kindness save me.’
Lord, let me not be ashamed
    for having called upon you;*
  rather, let the wicked be put to shame;
    let them be silent in the grave.
Let the lying lips be silenced
    which speak against the righteous,*
  haughtily, disdainfully and with contempt.
How great is your goodness, O Lord,
    which you have laid up for those who fear you;*
  which you have done in the sight of all
    for those who put their trust in you.
You hide them in the covert of your presence
    from those who slander them;*
  you keep them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.
Blessèd be the Lord!*
  for he has shown me the wonders of his love
    in a besieged city.
Yet I said in my alarm,
    ‘I have been cut off from the sight of your eyes.’*
  Nevertheless, you heard the sound of my entreaty
    when I cried out to you.
Love the Lord, all you who worship him;*
  the Lord protects the faithful,
    but repays to the full those who act haughtily.
Be strong and let your heart take courage,*
  all you who wait for the Lord.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
  praise your God, O Zion;
  he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
  and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
  he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
  who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Job 1:1-22]:

There was once a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job. That man was
blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. There
were born to him seven sons and three daughters. He had seven thousand
sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred
donkeys, and very many servants; so that this man was the greatest of all
the people of the east. His sons used to go and hold feasts in one
another's houses in turn; and they would send and invite their three
sisters to eat and drink with them. And when the feast days had run their
course, Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the
morning and offer burnt-offerings according to the number of them all; for
Job said, 'It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their
hearts.' This is what Job always did.

One day the heavenly beings came to present themselves before the Lord, and
Satan also came among them. The Lord said to Satan, 'Where have you come
from?' Satan answered the Lord, 'From going to and fro on the earth, and
from walking up and down on it.' The Lord said to Satan, 'Have you
considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth, a
blameless and upright man who fears God and turns away from evil.' Then
Satan answered the Lord, 'Does Job fear God for nothing? Have you not put a
fence around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have
blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the
land. But stretch out your hand now, and touch all that he has, and he will
curse you to your face.' The Lord said to Satan, 'Very well, all that he
has is in your power; only do not stretch out your hand against him!' So
Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

One day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in the
eldest brother's house, a messenger came to Job and said, 'The oxen were
ploughing and the donkeys were feeding beside them, and the Sabeans fell on
them and carried them off, and killed the servants with the edge of the
sword; I alone have escaped to tell you.' While he was still speaking,
another came and said, 'The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the
sheep and the servants, and consumed them; I alone have escaped to tell
you.' While he was still speaking, another came and said, 'The Chaldeans
formed three columns, made a raid on the camels and carried them off, and
killed the servants with the edge of the sword; I alone have escaped to
tell you.' While he was still speaking, another came and said, 'Your sons
and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's
house, and suddenly a great wind came across the desert, struck the four
corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and they are dead; I
alone have escaped to tell you.'

Then Job arose, tore his robe, shaved his head, and fell on the ground and
worshipped. He said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I
return there; the Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the
name of the Lord.'

In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrongdoing.

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray, alt. ©
Tune: Rhuddlan

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g /g203.html

God of freedom, God of justice,
God whose love is strong as death,
God who saw the dark of prison,
God who knew the price of faith:
touch our world of sad oppression
with your Spirit's healing breath.

Rid the earth of torture's terror,
God whose hands were nailed to wood;
hear the cries of pain and protest,
God who shed the tears and blood;
move in us the power of pity,
restless for the common good.

Make in us a captive conscience
quick to hear, to act, to plead;
make us truly sisters, brothers,
of whatever race or creed:
teach us to be fully human,
open to each other's need.

SECOND READING [Luke 21:34-22:6]:

Jesus said, 'Be on guard so that your hearts are not weighed down with
dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of this life, and that day does
not catch you unexpectedly, like a trap. For it will come upon all who live
on the face of the whole earth. Be alert at all times, praying that you may
have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to
stand before the Son of Man.'

Every day he was teaching in the temple, and at night he would go out and
spend the night on the Mount of Olives, as it was called. And all the
people would get up early in the morning to listen to him in the temple.

Now the festival of Unleavened Bread, which is called the Passover, was
near. The chief priests and the scribes were looking for a way to put Jesus
to death, for they were afraid of the people.

Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was one of the twelve;
he went away and conferred with the chief priests and officers of the
temple police about how he might betray him to them. They were greatly
pleased and agreed to give him money. So he consented and began to look for
an opportunity to betray him to them when no crowd was present.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
God of all mercies, we praise you that you have brought us to this day,
brightening our lives with the dawn of promise and hope in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for

     the warmth of sunlight, the wetness of rain and snow, and all that
nourishes the earth...
     (We thank you, Lord.)
     the presence and power of your Spirit...
     the support and encouragement we receive from others...
     those who provide for public safety and well-being...
     the mission of the church around the world...

Merciful God, strengthen us in prayer that we may lift up the brokenness of
this world for your healing, and share the saving love of Jesus Christ.
Especially we pray for

     those in positions of authority over others...
     (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the lonely and forgotten...
     children without family or homes...
     agents of caring and relief...
     the church in Asia and the Middle East...
     the Diocese of Boga, Congo, The Rt Revd Patrice Byankya Njojo, Bishop...
     the Diocese of Aru, Congo, The Rt Revd Dr. George Titre Ande, Bishop...

Bless us, O God, in this holy season,
in which our hearts seek your help and healing;
and so purify us by your discipline
that we may grow in grace and in the knowledge
of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving adapts phrases from Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing sentence is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Hymn © 1992 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
In all territories except New Zealand, Australia & Asia:
Hope Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com
In New Zealand, Australia & Asia: ShirleyErena Murray, serenam at paradise.net.nz

The intercession is from Book of Common Worship, © 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The first collect is from The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and Fasts, 3rd
edition, © 1980 The Church Pension Fund.