OREMUS: 27 February 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Tue Feb 27 16:25:41 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 27, 2007
George Herbert, Priest, Poet, 1633

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
  you know my sitting down and my rising up;
    you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
  and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
  but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
  and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
  it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
  where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
  if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
  and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
  and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will cover me,*
  and the light around me turn to night’,
Darkness is not dark to you;
    the night is as bright as the day;*
  darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
  you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
  your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
  while I was being made in secret
    and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
    all of them were written in your book;*
  they were fashioned day by day,
    when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
  how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
    they would be more in number than the sand;*
  to count them all,
    my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
  try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
  and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

FIRST READING [Zechariah 3:1-10]:

Then he showed me the high priest Joshua standing before the angel of the
Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. And the Lord said
to Satan, 'The Lord rebuke you, O Satan! The Lord who has chosen Jerusalem
rebuke you! Is not this man a brand plucked from the fire?' Now Joshua was
dressed in filthy clothes as he stood before the angel. The angel said to
those who were standing before him, 'Take off his filthy clothes.' And to
him he said, 'See, I have taken your guilt away from you, and I will clothe
you in festal apparel.' And I said, 'Let them put a clean turban on his
head.' So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him in the
apparel; and the angel of the Lord was standing by.

Then the angel of the Lord assured Joshua, saying 'Thus says the Lord of
hosts: If you will walk in my ways and keep my requirements, then you shall
rule my house and have charge of my courts, and I will give you the right
of access among those who are standing here. Now listen, Joshua, high
priest, you and your colleagues who sit before you! For they are an omen of
things to come: I am going to bring my servant the Branch. For on the stone
that I have set before Joshua, on a single stone with seven facets, I will
engrave its inscription, says the Lord of hosts, and I will remove the
guilt of this land in a single day. On that day, says the Lord of hosts,
you shall invite each other to come under your vine and fig tree.'

HYMN
Words: George Herbert, 1633
Tune: Sandys, Carlisle

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t 021.html

Teach me, my God and King,
in all things thee to see,
and what I do in anything
to do it as for thee.

A man that looks on glass,
on it may stay his eye;
or if he pleaseth, through it pass,
and then the heaven espy.

All may of thee partake;
nothing can be so mean,
which with this tincture, "for thy sake,"
will not grow bright and clean.

A servant with this clause
makes drudgery divine:
who sweeps a room, as for thy laws,
makes that and the action fine.

This is the famous stone
that turneth all to gold;
for that which God doth touch and own
cannot for less be told.

SECOND READING [2 Peter 2:4-21]:

For if God did not spare the angels when they sinned, but cast them into
hell and committed them to chains of deepest darkness to be kept until the
judgement; and if he did not spare the ancient world, even though he saved
Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood
on a world of the ungodly; and if by turning the cities of Sodom and
Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction and made them an example
of what is coming to the ungodly; and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man
greatly distressed by the licentiousness of the lawless (for that righteous
man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul
by their lawless deeds that he saw and heard), then the Lord knows how to
rescue the godly from trial, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment
until the day of judgement especially those who indulge their flesh in
depraved lust, and who despise authority.

Bold and wilful, they are not afraid to slander the glorious ones, whereas
angels, though greater in might and power, do not bring against them a
slanderous judgement from the Lord. These people, however, are like
irrational animals, mere creatures of instinct, born to be caught and
killed. They slander what they do not understand, and when those creatures
are destroyed, they also will be destroyed, suffering the penalty for doing
wrong. They count it a pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are blots and
blemishes, revelling in their dissipation while they feast with you. They
have eyes full of adultery, insatiable for sin. They entice unsteady souls.
They have hearts trained in greed. Accursed children! They have left the
straight road and have gone astray, following the road of Balaam son of
Bosor, who loved the wages of doing wrong, but was rebuked for his own
transgression; a speechless donkey spoke with a human voice and restrained
the prophet's madness.

These are waterless springs and mists driven by a storm; for them the
deepest darkness has been reserved. For they speak bombastic nonsense, and
with licentious desires of the flesh they entice people who have just
escaped from those who live in error. They promise them freedom, but they
themselves are slaves of corruption; for people are slaves to whatever
masters them. For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world
through the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again
entangled in them and overpowered, the last state has become worse for them
than the first. For it would have been better for them never to have known
the way of righteousness than, after knowing it, to turn back from the holy
commandment that was passed on to them.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.

O Lord, save our nation;
And teach wisdom to those in authority.

Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
Let your faithful people sing with joy.

Let your ways be known upon earth;
Your saving health among all nations.

Give your people the blessing of peace
And may all the earth be filled with your glory.

Create in us clean hearts, O God,
And renew a right spirit within us.

Sovereign God, enthroned in the heavens,
look upon us with your eyes of mercy
as we look upon you with humility and love
and fill our souls with your peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

King of glory, King of peace,
who called your servant George Herbert
from the pursuit of worldly honours
to be a priest in the temple of his God and King:
grant us also the grace to offer ourselves
with singleness of heart in humble obedience to your service;

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving adapts phrases from Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing sentence is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.