OREMUS: 26 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 25 20:27:06 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, February 26, 2007

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 37

Do not fret yourself because of evildoers;*
 do not be jealous of those who do wrong.
For they shall soon wither like the grass,*
 and like the green grass fade away.
Put your trust in the Lord and do good;*
 dwell in the land and feed on its riches.
Take delight in the Lord,*
 and he shall give you your heart's desire.
Commit your way to the Lord
   and put your trust in him,*
 and he will bring it to pass.
He will make your righteousness as clear as the light*
 and your just dealing as the noonday.
Be still before the Lord*
 and wait patiently for him.
Do not fret yourself over the one who prospers,*
 the one who succeeds in evil schemes.
Refrain from anger, leave rage alone;*
 do not fret yourself; it leads only to evil.
For evildoers shall be cut off,*
 but those who wait upon the Lord
   shall possess the land.
In a little while the wicked shall be no more;*
 you shall search out their place,
   but they will not be there.
But the lowly shall possess the land;*
 they will delight in abundance of peace.
The wicked plot against the righteous*
 and gnash at them with their teeth.
The Lord laughs at the wicked,*
 because he sees that their day will come.
The wicked draw their sword and bend their bow
   to strike down the poor and needy,*
 to slaughter those who are upright in their ways.
Their sword shall go through their own heart,*
 and their bow shall be broken.
The little that the righteous have*
 is better than great riches of the wicked.
For the power of the wicked shall be broken,*
 but the Lord upholds the righteous.
The Lord cares for the lives of the godly,*
 and their inheritance shall last for ever.
They shall not be ashamed in bad times,*
 and in days of famine they shall have enough.
As for the wicked, they shall perish,*
 and the enemies of the Lord,
   like the glory of the meadows, shall vanish;
   they shall vanish like smoke.
The wicked borrow and do not repay,*
 but the righteous are generous in giving.
Those who are blessed by God shall possess the land,*
 but those who are cursed by him shall be destroyed.
Our steps are directed by the Lord;*
 he strengthens those in whose way he delights.
If they stumble, they shall not fall headlong,*
 for the Lord holds them by the hand.
I have been young and now I am old,*
 but never have I seen the righteous forsaken,
   or their children begging bread.
The righteous are always generous in their lending,*
 and their children shall be a blessing.
Turn from evil and do good,*
 and dwell in the land for ever.
For the Lord loves justice;*
 he does not forsake his faithful ones.
They shall be kept safe for ever,*
 but the offspring of the wicked shall be destroyed.
The righteous shall possess the land*
 and dwell in it for ever.
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,*
 and their tongue speaks what is right.
The law of their God is in their heart,*
 and their footsteps shall not falter.
The wicked spy on the righteous*
 and seek occasion to kill them.
The Lord will not abandon them to their hand,*
 nor let them be found guilty when brought to trial.
Wait upon the Lord and keep his way;*
 he will raise you up to possess the land,
   and when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.
I have seen the wicked in their arrogance,*
 flourishing like a tree in full leaf.
I went by and, behold, they were not there;*
 I searched for them, but they could not be found.
Mark those who are honest; observe the upright;*
 for there is a future for the peaceable.
Transgressors shall be destroyed, one and all;*
 the future of the wicked is cut off.
But the deliverance of the righteous
   comes from the Lord;*
 he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
The Lord will help them and rescue them;*
 he will rescue them from the wicked and deliver them,
   because they seek refuge in him.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 Chronicles 21:1-17]:

Satan stood up against Israel, and incited David to count
the people of Israel. So David said to Joab and the
commanders of the army, 'Go, number Israel, from
Beer-sheba to Dan, and bring me a report, so that I may
know their number.' But Joab said, 'May the Lord increase
the number of his people a hundredfold! Are they not, my
lord the king, all of them my lord's servants? Why then
should my lord require this? Why should he bring guilt on
Israel?' But the king's word prevailed against Joab. So
Joab departed and went throughout all Israel, and came
back to Jerusalem. Joab gave the total count of the
people to David. In all Israel there were one million one
hundred thousand men who drew the sword, and in Judah
four hundred and seventy thousand who drew the sword. But
he did not include Levi and Benjamin in the numbering,
for the king's command was abhorrent to Joab.
But God was displeased with this thing, and he struck
Israel. David said to God, 'I have sinned greatly in that
I have done this thing. But now, I pray you, take away
the guilt of your servant; for I have done very
foolishly.' The Lord spoke to Gad, David's seer, saying,
'Go and say to David, "Thus says the Lord: Three things I
offer you; choose one of them, so that I may do it to
you." ' So Gad came to David and said to him, 'Thus says
the Lord, "Take your choice: either three years of
famine; or three months of devastation by your foes,
while the sword of your enemies overtakes you; or three
days of the sword of the Lord, pestilence on the land,
and the angel of the Lord destroying throughout all the
territory of Israel." Now decide what answer I shall
return to the one who sent me.' Then David said to Gad,
'I am in great distress; let me fall into the hand of the
Lord, for his mercy is very great; but let me not fall
into human hands.'
So the Lord sent a pestilence on Israel; and seventy
thousand persons fell in Israel. And God sent an angel to
Jerusalem to destroy it; but when he was about to destroy
it, the Lord took note and relented concerning the
calamity; he said to the destroying angel, 'Enough! Stay
your hand.' The angel of the Lord was then standing by
the threshing-floor of Ornan the Jebusite. David looked
up and saw the angel of the Lord standing between earth
and heaven, and in his hand a drawn sword stretched out
over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders, clothed in
sackcloth, fell on their faces. And David said to God,
'Was it not I who gave the command to count the people?
It is I who have sinned and done very wickedly. But these
sheep, what have they done? Let your hand, I pray, O Lord
my God, be against me and against my father's house; but
do not let your people be plagued!'

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1759
Tune: Dundee
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l064.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l
064.html

Let saints on earth in concert sing
with those who work is done;
for all the servants of our King
in heaven and earth are one.

One family, we dwell in him,
one Church, above, beneath,
though now divided by the stream,
the narrow stream of death.

One army of the living God,
to his command we bow;
part of the host have crossed the flood,
and part are crossing now.

E'en now to their eternal home
there pass some spirits blest;
while others to the margin come,
waiting their call to rest..

Jesus, be thou our constant Guide;
then, when the word is given,
bid Jordan's narrow stream divide,
and bring us safe to heaven.

SECOND READING [1 John 2:1-6]:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if
anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and
he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the
whole world.
Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey his commandments.
Whoever says, 'I have come to know him', but does not obey his commandments, is a
liar, and in such a person the truth does not exist; but whoever obeys his word, truly in
this person the love of God has reached perfection. By this we may be sure that we are
in him: whoever says, 'I abide in him', ought to walk just as he walked.

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...
     the Diocese of Blackburn, England, The Rt Revd Nicholas Stewart Reade,
Bishop

Blessed and holy God,
ever merciful and forgiving:
may we turn from what is evil
and do what is good in your sight,
that we might be saved by the cross
of your Son, our Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.