OREMUS: 25 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 24 22:32:42 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, February 25, 2007
The First Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 26

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

Psalm 84

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 58:1-12]:

Shout out, do not hold back!
   Lift up your voice like a trumpet!
Announce to my people their rebellion,
   to the house of Jacob their sins.
Yet day after day they seek me
   and delight to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that practised righteousness
   and did not forsake the ordinance of their God;
they ask of me righteous judgements,
   they delight to draw near to God.
'Why do we fast, but you do not see?
   Why humble ourselves, but you do not notice?'
Look, you serve your own interest on your fast-day,
   and oppress all your workers.
Look, you fast only to quarrel and to fight
   and to strike with a wicked fist.
Such fasting as you do today
   will not make your voice heard on high.
Is such the fast that I choose,
   a day to humble oneself?
Is it to bow down the head like a bulrush,
   and to lie in sackcloth and ashes?
Will you call this a fast,
   a day acceptable to the Lord?

Is not this the fast that I choose:
   to loose the bonds of injustice,
   to undo the thongs of the yoke,
to let the oppressed go free,
   and to break every yoke?
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
   and bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked, to cover them,
   and not to hide yourself from your own kin?
Then your light shall break forth like the dawn,
   and your healing shall spring up quickly;
your vindicator shall go before you,
   the glory of the Lord shall be your rearguard.
Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;
   you shall cry for help, and he will say, Here I am.

If you remove the yoke from among you,
   the pointing of the finger, the speaking of evil,
if you offer your food to the hungry
   and satisfy the needs of the afflicted,
then your light shall rise in the darkness
   and your gloom be like the noonday.
The Lord will guide you continually,
   and satisfy your needs in parched places,
   and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
   like a spring of water,
   whose waters never fail.
Your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt;
   you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
you shall be called the repairer of the breach,
   the restorer of streets to live in.

HYMN
Words: stanzas 1-2: Moravian, 1832;
stanzas 3-4: James Montgomery, 1825
Tune: St. Agnes
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s110.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/
s110.html

 Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless
thy chosen pilgrim flock
with manna in the wilderness,
with water from the rock.

We would not live by bread alone,
but by thy word of grace,
in strength of which we travel on
to our abiding place.

Be known to us in breaking bread,
and do not then depart;
Savior, abide with us, and spread
thy table in our heart.

Lord, sup with us in love divine,
thy Body and thy Blood,
that living bread, that heavenly wine,
be our immortal food.

SECOND READING [Luke 22:1-38]:

Now the festival of Unleavened Bread, which is called the Passover, was near. The
chief priests and the scribes were looking for a way to put Jesus to death, for they
were afraid of the people.

Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was one of the twelve; he went
away and conferred with the chief priests and officers of the temple police about how
he might betray him to them. They were greatly pleased and agreed to give him
money. So he consented and began to look for an opportunity to betray him to them
when no crowd was present.

Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be
sacrificed. So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, 'Go and prepare the Passover meal
for us that we may eat it.' They asked him, 'Where do you want us to make
preparations for it?' 'Listen,' he said to them, 'when you have entered the city, a man
carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him into the house he enters and say to
the owner of the house, "The teacher asks you, 'Where is the guest room, where I may
eat the Passover with my disciples?' " He will show you a large room upstairs, already
furnished. Make preparations for us there.' So they went and found everything as he
had told them; and they prepared the Passover meal.

When the hour came, he took his place at the table, and the apostles with him. He said
to them, 'I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I tell
you, I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.' Then he took a cup,
and after giving thanks he said, 'Take this and divide it among yourselves; for I tell
you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God
comes.' Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and
gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in
remembrance of me.' And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying, 'This cup
that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But see, the one who
betrays me is with me, and his hand is on the table. For the Son of Man is going as it
has been determined, but woe to that one by whom he is betrayed!' Then they began
to ask one another which one of them it could be who would do this.

A dispute also arose among them as to which one of them was to be regarded as the
greatest. But he said to them, 'The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those in
authority over them are called benefactors. But not so with you; rather the greatest
among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like one who serves. For
who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one at
the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

'You are those who have stood by me in my trials; and I confer on you, just as my
Father has conferred on me, a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in
my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

'Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have
prayed for you that your own faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned
back, strengthen your brothers.' And he said to him, 'Lord, I am ready to go with you
to prison and to death!' Jesus said, 'I tell you, Peter, the cock will not crow this day,
until you have denied three times that you know me.'

He said to them, 'When I sent you out without a purse, bag, or sandals, did you lack
anything?' They said, 'No, not a thing.' He said to them, 'But now, the one who has a
purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his
cloak and buy one. For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me, "And he was
counted among the lawless"; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled.'
They said, 'Lord, look, here are two swords.' He replied, 'It is enough.'

Lord, we pray for this modern world
in which faith comes hard,
where people find it difficult to raise their eyes
above the material things that are so necessary to life.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who find it hard to believe
because they have too many things,
and for those who find it hard
because they don't have enough.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who have more to eat than they need,
and those who are dying from lack of food.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for parents who, because of their poverty
and a lack of concern on the part of others,
must watch their children die.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who suffer from disease,
from confusion and guilt, from depression and fear.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who face each day with dread
because their lives are so dominated by the power of others.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are so lonely
that life is robbed of all loveliness and hope.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray because our love for you is a love for one
whose compassion embraces all human suffering.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
you are slow to anger, and full of mercy,
welcoming sinners who return to you with penitent hearts.
Receive in your loving embrace all who come home to you.
Seat them at your bountiful table of grace,
that, with all your children, they may feast with delight
on all that satisfies the hungry heart.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,