OREMUS: 24 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 23 20:20:23 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, February 24, 2007

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
In the darkness of our sin,
your light breaks forth like the dawn
and your healing springs up for deliverance.
As we rejoice in the gift of your saving help,
sustain us with your bountiful Spirit
and open our lips to sing your praise:

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:65-88

O Lord, you have dealt graciously with your servant,*
 according to your word.
Teach me discernment and knowledge,*
 for I have believed in your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,*
 but now I keep your word.
You are good and you bring forth good;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
The proud have smeared me with lies,*
 but I will keep your commandments
   with my whole heart.
Their heart is gross and fat,*
 but my delight is in your law.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,*
 that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is dearer to me*
 than thousands in gold and silver.

Your hands have made me and fashioned me;*
 give me understanding,
   that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you will be glad when they see me,*
 because I trust in your word.

I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right*
 and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Let your loving-kindness be my comfort*
 as you have promised to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me, that I may live,*
 for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   for they wrong me with lies;*
 but I will meditate on your commandments.
Let those who fear you turn to me,*
 and also those who know your decrees.
Let my heart be sound in your statutes,*
 that I may not be put to shame.

My soul has longed for your salvation;*
 I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes have failed from watching for your promise,*
 and I say, 'When will you comfort me?'
I have become like a leather flask in the smoke,*
 but I have not forgotten your statutes.
How much longer must I wait?*
 when will you give judgement
   against those who persecute me?
The proud have dug pits for me;*
 they do not keep your law.
All your commandments are true;*
 help me, for they persecute me with lies.
They had almost made an end of me on earth,*
 but I have not forsaken your commandments.
In your loving-kindness, revive me,*
 that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 3:1-8]:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every
matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is
planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones
together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

HYMN
Words: Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864
Tune:  Father, Let me Dedicate

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f070.html

Father, let me dedicate,
all this year to thee,
in whatever worldly state
thou wilt have me be:
not from sorrow, pain or care,
freedom dare I claim;
this alone shall be my prayer,
glorify thy Name.

Can a child presume to choose
where or how to live?
Can a Father's love refuse
all the best to give?
More thou givest every day
than the best can claim
nor withholdest aught that may
glorify thy Name.

If thou callest to the cross,
and its shadow come,
turning all my gain to loss,
shrouding heart and home;
let me think how thy dear Son
to his glory came,
and in deepest woe pray on,
"Glorify thy Name."

If in mercy thou wilt spare
joys that yet are mine;
if on life, serene and fair,
brighter rays may shine;
let my glad heart, while it sings,
thee in all proclaim,
And, whate'er the future brings,
glorify thy Name.

SECOND READING [John 12:27-36]:

Jesus said, 'Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say "Father, save me from
this hour"? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your
name.' Then a voice came from heaven, 'I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.'
The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, 'An angel
has spoken to him.' Jesus answered, 'This voice has come for your sake, not for mine.
Now is the judgement of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out.
And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.' He said this
to indicate the kind of death he was to die. The crowd answered him, 'We have heard
from the law that the Messiah remains for ever. How can you say that the Son of Man
must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?' Jesus said to them, 'The light is with you
for a little longer. Walk while you have the light, so that the darkness may not
overtake you. If you walk in the darkness, you do not know where you are going.
While you have the light, believe in the light, so that you may become children of
light.'
After Jesus had said this, he departed and hid from them.

God of glory, we praise you for your presence in our
lives, and for all goodness that you shower upon your
children in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     promises kept and hope for tomorrow...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the enjoyment of friends...
     the wonders of your creation...
     love from our parents, our sisters and brothers,
     our spouses, lovers, and children...
     pleasures of living...

God of grace, we are one with all your children, for we
are sisters and brothers of Jesus Christ, and we offer
our prayers for all whom we love. Especially we pray for
     those we too often forget...
                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people who have lost hope...
     victims of tragedy and disaster...
     those who suffer mental anguish...
     ecumenical councils and church agencies...
     the Diocese of Birmingham, England...

Almighty and everlasting God,
mercifully look upon our infirmities,
and in all our dangers and necessities
stretch forth your right hand to help and defend us;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Christ give us grace to grow in holiness,
to deny ourselves,
take up our cross, and follow him. Amen.>

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.