OREMUS: 20 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 19 21:44:33 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 20, 2007
William Grant Broughton, First Bishop of Australia, 1853

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 139

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Peace (Isaiah 2:3-5)

Come, let us go up to the mountain of God,
to the house of the God of Jacob;

That God may teach us his ways,
and that we may walk in his paths.

For the law shall go out from Zion,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

God shall judged between the nations,
and shall mediate for many peoples.

They shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks.

Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.

O people of Jacob, come:
let us walk in the light of the Lord.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 1:1-2:1]:

In the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, on the fifth
day of the month, as I was among the exiles by the river
Chebar, the heavens were opened, and I saw visions of
God. On the fifth day of the month (it was the fifth year
of the exile of King Jehoiachin), the word of the Lord
came to the priest Ezekiel son of Buzi, in the land of
the Chaldeans by the river Chebar; and the hand of the
Lord was on him there.

As I looked, a stormy wind came out of the north: a great
cloud with brightness around it and fire flashing forth
continually, and in the middle of the fire, something
like gleaming amber. In the middle of it was something
like four living creatures. This was their appearance:
they were of human form. Each had four faces, and each of
them had four wings. Their legs were straight, and the
soles of their feet were like the sole of a calf's foot;
and they sparkled like burnished bronze. Under their
wings on their four sides they had human hands. And the
four had their faces and their wings thus: their wings
touched one another; each of them moved straight ahead,
without turning as they moved. As for the appearance of
their faces: the four had the face of a human being, the
face of a lion on the right side, the face of an ox on
the left side, and the face of an eagle; such were their
faces. Their wings were spread out above; each creature
had two wings, each of which touched the wing of another,
while two covered their bodies. Each moved straight
ahead; wherever the spirit would go, they went, without
turning as they went. In the middle of the living
creatures there was something that looked like burning
coals of fire, like torches moving to and fro among the
living creatures; the fire was bright, and lightning
issued from the fire. The living creatures darted to and
fro, like a flash of lightning.

As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the
earth beside the living creatures, one for each of the
four of them. As for the appearance of the wheels and
their construction: their appearance was like the
gleaming of beryl; and the four had the same form, their
construction being something like a wheel within a wheel.
When they moved, they moved in any of the four directions
without veering as they moved. Their rims were tall and
awesome, for the rims of all four were full of eyes all
round. When the living creatures moved, the wheels moved
beside them; and when the living creatures rose from the
earth, the wheels rose. Wherever the spirit would go,
they went, and the wheels rose along with them; for the
spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. When
they moved, the others moved; when they stopped, the
others stopped; and when they rose from the earth, the
wheels rose along with them; for the spirit of the living
creatures was in the wheels.

Over the heads of the living creatures there was
something like a dome, shining like crystal, spread out
above their heads. Under the dome their wings were
stretched out straight, one towards another; and each of
the creatures had two wings covering its body. When they
moved, I heard the sound of their wings like the sound of
mighty waters, like the thunder of the Almighty, a sound
of tumult like the sound of an army; when they stopped,
they let down their wings. And there came a voice from
above the dome over their heads; when they stopped, they
let down their wings.

And above the dome over their heads there was something
like a throne, in appearance like sapphire; and seated
above the likeness of a throne was something that seemed
like a human form. Upwards from what appeared like the
loins I saw something like gleaming amber, something that
looked like fire enclosed all round; and downwards from
what looked like the loins I saw something that looked
like fire, and there was a splendour all round. Like the
bow in a cloud on a rainy day, such was the appearance of
the splendour all round. This was the appearance of the
likeness of the glory of the Lord.

When I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice
of someone speaking.

He said to me: O mortal, stand up on your feet, and I
will speak with you.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1818
Tune: Mendip

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p123.html

Prayer is the soul's sincere desire,
unuttered or expressed;
the motion of a hidden fire
that trembles in the breast.

Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
the falling of a tear
the upward glancing of an eye,
when none but God is near.

Prayer is the contrite sinner's voice,
returning from his ways,
while angels in their songs rejoice
and cry, "Behold, he prays!"

The saints in prayer appear as one
in word, in deed, and mind,
while with the Father and the Son
sweet fellowship they find.

No prayer is made by man alone
the Holy Spirit pleads,
and Jesus, on th'eternal throne,
for sinners intercedes.

Prayer is the Christian's vital breath,
the Christian's native air,
his watchword at the gates of death;
he enters heaven with prayer.

O thou, by whom we come to God,
the Life, the Truth, the Way;
the path of prayer thyself hast trod:
Lord, teach us how to pray!

SECOND READING [Acts 10:23b-33]:

The next day Peter got up and went with them, and some of the believers from Joppa
accompanied him. The following day they came to Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting
them and had called together his relatives and close friends. On Peter's arrival
Cornelius met him, and falling at his feet, worshipped him. But Peter made him get up,
saying, 'Stand up; I am only a mortal.' And as he talked with him, he went in and
found that many had assembled; and he said to them, 'You yourselves know that it is
unlawful for a Jew to associate with or to visit a Gentile; but God has shown me that I
should not call anyone profane or unclean. So when I was sent for, I came without
objection. Now may I ask why you sent for me?'
Cornelius replied, 'Four days ago at this very hour, at three o'clock, I was praying in
my house when suddenly a man in dazzling clothes stood before me. He said,
"Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before
God. Send therefore to Joppa and ask for Simon, who is called Peter; he is staying in
the home of Simon, a tanner, by the sea." Therefore I sent for you immediately, and
you have been kind enough to come. So now all of us are here in the presence of God
to listen to all that the Lord has commanded you to say.'

Let us pray for our own needs and for the needs of others,
following the pattern which Jesus gave
when he taught us to pray to God our Father.

Through our love of the countryside,
through our care for animals,
through our respect for property and tools,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

On our farms and in our homes,
in our colleges and schools,
where machinery is made, and where policy is planned,
Father, your kingdom come.

By our seeking your guidance,
by our keeping your commandments,
by our living true to our consciences,
Father, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

For the millions who live in poverty and hunger,
for our own needs, and the requirements of our neighbours,
by co-operation, sympathy, and generosity,
Give us today our daily bread.

Because we have broken your commandments,
doing what we ought not to do,
and neglecting what we ought to do,
Forgive us our sins.

If any have injured us by injustice, double dealing or exploitation,
We forgive those who sin against us.

When prosperity lulls us to false security,
or adversity prompts us to despair,
when success makes us boastful,
or failure makes us bitter,
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

In the assurance of faith,
in the confidence of hope,
in the will to serve,
help us to love Christ as Lord,
and our neighbour as ourselves.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours now and for ever. Amen.

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Everlasting God,
your messengers have carried the Good News of Christ
to the ends of the earth:
grant that we who remember William Grant Broughton
and the builders of your Church in Australia
may know the truth of the Gospel in our hearts
and build upon the foundations they have laid;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

The second collect is adapted from a prayer in _A Prayer Book for
Australia_, (c) 1995, The Anglican Church of Australia Trust
Corporation.

When the English first settled Australia in the eighteenth century, they
established churches under the authority of the Bishop of London. Over the
next two centuries the Anglican Church of Australia gradually moved towards
independence from England. In 1814, responsibility for British subjects in
Australia passed from the Bishop of London to the new Bishop of Calcutta,
and in 1836 Australia was recognized as a diocese with its own bishop, William
Grant Broughton. With this new recognition of the diocese of Australia came a
time of great religious expansion and church building. By 1847 this expansion
had become so great that Australia was split into separate dioceses of Sydney,
Melbourne, Adelaide, and Newcastle, each with their own bishops. Broughton
was named the first Bishop of Sydney. As Australia's population and church
grew, new dioceses continued to be formed. Five provinces of the church were
established, each containing several dioceses.