OREMUS: 19 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 18 22:38:49 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, February 19, 2007

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Exodus 35:1-29]:

Moses assembled all the congregation of the Israelites
and said to them: These are the things that the Lord has
commanded you to do:
For six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day
you shall have a holy sabbath of solemn rest to the Lord;
whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. You
shall kindle no fire in all your dwellings on the sabbath
day.
Moses said to all the congregation of the Israelites:
This is the thing that the Lord has commanded: Take from
among you an offering to the Lord; let whoever is of a
generous heart bring the Lord's offering: gold, silver,
and bronze; blue, purple, and crimson yarns, and fine
linen; goats' hair, tanned rams' skins, and fine leather;
acacia wood, oil for the light, spices for the
anointing-oil and for the fragrant incense, and onyx
stones and gems to be set in the ephod and the
breastpiece.
All who are skilful among you shall come and make all
that the Lord has commanded: the tabernacle, its tent and
its covering, its clasps and its frames, its bars, its
pillars, and its bases; the ark with its poles, the
mercy-seat, and the curtain for the screen; the table
with its poles and all its utensils, and the bread of the
Presence; the lampstand also for the light, with its
utensils and its lamps, and the oil for the light; and
the altar of incense, with its poles, and the
anointing-oil and the fragrant incense, and the screen
for the entrance, the entrance of the tabernacle; the
altar of burnt-offering, with its grating of bronze, its
poles, and all its utensils, the basin with its stand;
the hangings of the court, its pillars and its bases, and
the screen for the gate of the court; the pegs of the
tabernacle and the pegs of the court, and their cords;
the finely worked vestments for ministering in the holy
place, the holy vestments for the priest Aaron, and the
vestments of his sons, for their service as priests.
Then all the congregation of the Israelites withdrew from
the presence of Moses. And they came, everyone whose
heart was stirred, and everyone whose spirit was willing,
and brought the Lord's offering to be used for the tent
of meeting, and for all its service, and for the sacred
vestments. So they came, both men and women; all who were
of a willing heart brought brooches and earings and
signet rings and pendants, all sorts of gold objects,
everyone bringing an offering of gold to the Lord. And
everyone who possessed blue or purple or crimson yarn or
fine linen or goats' hair or tanned rams' skins or fine
leather, brought them. Everyone who could make an
offering of silver or bronze brought it as the Lord's
offering; and everyone who possessed acacia wood of any
use in the work, brought it. All the skilful women spun
with their hands, and brought what they had spun in blue
and purple and crimson yarns and fine linen; all the
women whose hearts moved them to use their skill spun the
goats' hair. And the leaders brought onyx stones and gems
to be set in the ephod and the breastpiece, and spices
and oil for the light, and for the anointing-oil, and for
the fragrant incense. All the Israelite men and women
whose hearts made them willing to bring anything for the
work that the Lord had commanded by Moses to be done,
brought it as a freewill-offering to the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Michael Bruce (1746-1767), 1764
Tune: Warrington, Wareham, Melcombe

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w405.html

Where high the heavenly temple stands,
the house of God not made with hands,
a great High Priest our nature wears,
the Guardian of mankind appears.

He, who for men their surety stood,
and poured on earth his precious blood,
pursues in heaven his mighty plan,
the Savior and the Friend of man.

Though now ascended up on high,
he bends on earth a brother's eye;
partaker of the human name,
he knows the frailty of our frame.

Our fellow-sufferer yet retains
a fellow feeling of our pains;
and still remembers in the skies
his tears, his agonies and cries.

In every pang that rends the heart
the Man of Sorrows had a part;
he sympathizes with our grief,
and to the sufferer sends relief.

With boldness therefore at the throne
let us make all our sorrows know;
and ask the aid of heavenly power
to help us in the evil hour.

SECOND READING [Acts 10:9-23a]:

About noon the next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter
went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat; and
while it was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw the heaven opened and
something like a large sheet coming down, being lowered to the ground by its four
corners. In it were all kinds of four-footed creatures and reptiles and birds of the air.
Then he heard a voice saying, 'Get up, Peter; kill and eat.' But Peter said, 'By no
means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is profane or unclean.' The voice
said to him again, a second time, 'What God has made clean, you must not call
profane.' This happened three times, and the thing was suddenly taken up to
heaven.
Now while Peter was greatly puzzled about what to make of the vision that he had
seen, suddenly the men sent by Cornelius appeared. They were asking for Simon's
house and were standing by the gate. They called out to ask whether Simon, who was
called Peter, was staying there. While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the
Spirit said to him, 'Look, three men are searching for you. Now get up, go down, and
go with them without hesitation; for I have sent them.' So Peter went down to the
men and said, 'I am the one you are looking for; what is the reason for your coming?'
They answered, 'Cornelius, a centurion, an upright and God-fearing man, who is well
spoken of by the whole Jewish nation, was directed by a holy angel to send for you to
come to his house and to hear what you have to say.' So Peter invited them in and
gave them lodging.

High and holy God,
robed in majesty,
Lord of heaven and earth,
we pray that you bring justice, faith
and salvation to all peoples.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

You chose us in Christ to be your people
and to be the temple of your Holy Spirit;
we pray that you will fill your Church with vision and hope.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Your Spirit enables us to cry, "Abba! Father!",
affirms that we are fellow-heirs with Christ
and pleads for us in our weakness;
we pray for all who are in need or distress.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

In the baptism and birth of Jesus,
you have opened heaven to us
and enabled us to share in your glory:
the joy of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
from before the world was made.
May your Church, living and departed,
come to a joyful resurrection in your city of light.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Sovereign God, enthroned in the heavens,
look upon us with your eyes of mercy
as we look upon you with humility and love
and fill our souls with your peace;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.