OREMUS: 18 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 17 20:58:08 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, February 18, 2007
The Last Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 25:6-10a]:

On this mountain the Lord of hosts will make for all peoples
   a feast of rich food, a feast of well-matured wines,
   of rich food filled with marrow,
   of well-matured wines strained clear.
And he will destroy on this mountain
   the shroud that is cast over all peoples,
   the sheet that is spread over all nations;
he will swallow up death for ever.
Then the Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces,
   and the disgrace of his people he will take away from all the
earth,
   for the Lord has spoken.
It will be said on that day,
   Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him,
   so that he might save us.
   This is the Lord for whom we have waited;
   let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.
For the hand of the Lord will rest on this mountain.

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt (c)
Tune: Brockham
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t797.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t
797.html

Transfigured Christ, none comprehends
your majesty, whose splendor stuns
all waking souls; whose light transcends
the brightness of a thousand suns!

You stand with Moses on the hill,
you speak of your new exodus.
The way through death you will fulfill
by dying helpless on the cross.

You stand here with Elijah too,
by whom the still small voice was heard;
and you, yourself, will prove God true,
made mute in death, incarnate Word.

If we could bear your brightness here
and stay forever in your light,
then we would conquer grief and fear,
and scorn the terrors of the night.

But, from the heights, you bring us down
to share earth's agonies with you,
where piercing thorns are made your crown
and death, accepted, proves love true.

Majestic Christ, God's well-loved Son,
if we must share your grief and loss,
transfigure us, when all is done,
with glory shining from your cross.

SECOND READING [Luke 19:41-44]:

As Jesus came near and saw the city, he wept over it, saying, 'If you, even you, had
only recognized on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden
from your eyes. Indeed, the days will come upon you, when your enemies will set up
ramparts around you and surround you, and hem you in on every side. They will crush
you to the ground, you and your children within you, and they will not leave within
you one stone upon another; because you did not recognize the time of your visitation
from God.'

Lord Jesus,
our search for light ends as we look into your face.
We thank you for that radiance,
which remains even when we obscure it with temptation and sin.

Where people suffer in the night of poverty, grief or pain,

In the night of greed and cruelty,
where power ignores your justice and truth,

Where your Church lives
in the night of hostility and isolation,

In the place of doubt and neediness,

As you shine on that other shore with all the saints in light,
be with us here, where we are,

Give the whole creation
a foretaste of the coming splendor
of your new heaven and new earth,

O God, glorious and faithful,
 to those who seek you with a sincere heart
you reveal the beauty of your face:
Strengthen us in faith to embrace the mystery of the cross,
and open our hearts to its transfiguring power;
that, clinging in love to your will for us,
we may walk the path of discipleship
as followers of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.