OREMUS: 16 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Feb 15 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, February 16, 2007

you lead us to the waters of refreshment and new life
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
He calls us to leave behind the dusty desert
of withered hopes and dreams
to become a spring of faith
that others may come near to the stream of life.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 9:6-14]:

Know, then, that the Lord your God is not giving you this
good land to occupy because of your righteousness; for
you are a stubborn people. Remember and do not forget how
you provoked the Lord your God to wrath in the
wilderness; you have been rebellious against the Lord
from the day you came out of the land of Egypt until you
came to this place.
Even at Horeb you provoked the Lord to wrath, and the
Lord was so angry with you that he was ready to destroy
you. When I went up the mountain to receive the stone
tablets, the tablets of the covenant that the Lord made
with you, I remained on the mountain for forty days and
forty nights; I neither ate bread nor drank water. And
the Lord gave me the two stone tablets written with the
finger of God; on them were all the words that the Lord
had spoken to you at the mountain out of the fire on the
day of the assembly. At the end of forty days and forty
nights the Lord gave me the two stone tablets, the
tablets of the covenant. Then the Lord said to me, 'Get
up, go down quickly from here, for your people whom you
have brought from Egypt have acted corruptly. They have
been quick to turn from the way that I commanded them;
they have cast an image for themselves.' Furthermore, the
Lord said to me, 'I have seen that this people is indeed
a stubborn people. Let me alone that I may destroy them
and blot out their name from under heaven; and I will
make of you a nation mightier and more numerous than
they.'

HYMN
Words: Robert Robinson, 1758
Tune: Nettleton

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c302.html

Come, thou fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
here by thy great help I've come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

SECOND READING [Acts 10:1-8]:

In Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of the Italian Cohort, as it
was called. He was a devout man who feared God with all his household; he gave alms
generously to the people and prayed constantly to God. One afternoon at about three
o'clock he had a vision in which he clearly saw an angel of God coming in and saying
to him, 'Cornelius.' He stared at him in terror and said, 'What is it, Lord?' He
answered, 'Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God.
Now send men to Joppa for a certain Simon who is called Peter; he is lodging with
Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the seaside.' When the angel who spoke to him
had left, he called two of his slaves and a devout soldier from the ranks of those who
served him, and after telling them everything, he sent them to Joppa.

Planting God,
how beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those
who bring good news.

Around your table we are bound together as your Body
for the life of the world.
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Deliver us from impatience
that will not wait for fruit to ripen:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Save us from forcing others to see what we see
and embrace what we embrace:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Liberate us from anger rooted in self-justification:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Fix our gaze upon you
so that we are not overwhelmed by the want and failure of others:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Sow yourself in our words and deeds
that become food for hungry souls:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Call us now and we shall awaken,
call us now by name and we shall arise. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and uses some
images from a hymn by Thomas Troeger. The closing prayer is by Stephen
Benner and uses some phrases from a song by Marty Haugen.