OREMUS: 12 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 11 21:35:49 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, February 12, 2007

you lead us to the waters of refreshment and new life
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
He calls us to leave behind the dusty desert
of withered hopes and dreams
to become a spring of faith
that others may come near to the stream of life.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of Judith (Judith 16:13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.

May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.

You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.

Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.

But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.

No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [2 Kings 24:18-25:21]:

Zedekiah was twenty-one years old when he began to reign;
he reigned for eleven years in Jerusalem. His mother's
name was Hamutal daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah. He did
what was evil in the sight of the Lord, just as Jehoiakim
had done. Indeed, Jerusalem and Judah so angered the Lord
that he expelled them from his presence.
Zedekiah rebelled against the king of Babylon.
And in the ninth year of his reign, in the tenth month,
on the tenth day of the month, King Nebuchadnezzar of
Babylon came with all his army against Jerusalem, and
laid siege to it; they built siege-works against it all
round. So the city was besieged until the eleventh year
of King Zedekiah. On the ninth day of the fourth month
the famine became so severe in the city that there was no
food for the people of the land. Then a breach was made
in the city wall; the king with all the soldiers fled by
night by the way of the gate between the two walls, by
the king's garden, though the Chaldeans were all round
the city. They went in the direction of the Arabah. But
the army of the Chaldeans pursued the king, and overtook
him in the plains of Jericho; all his army was scattered,
deserting him. Then they captured the king and brought
him up to the king of Babylon at Riblah, who passed
sentence on him. They slaughtered the sons of Zedekiah
before his eyes, then put out the eyes of Zedekiah; they
bound him in fetters and took him to Babylon.
In the fifth month, on the seventh day of the month which
was the nineteenth year of King Nebuchadnezzar, king of
Babylon Nebuzaradan, the captain of the bodyguard, a
servant of the king of Babylon, came to Jerusalem. He
burned the house of the Lord, the king's house, and all
the houses of Jerusalem; every great house he burned
down. All the army of the Chaldeans who were with the
captain of the guard broke down the walls around
Jerusalem. Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard carried
into exile the rest of the people who were left in the
city and the deserters who had defected to the king of
Babylon all the rest of the population. But the captain
of the guard left some of the poorest people of the land
to be vine-dressers and tillers of the soil.
The bronze pillars that were in the house of the Lord, as
well as the stands and the bronze sea that were in the
house of the Lord, the Chaldeans broke in pieces, and
carried the bronze to Babylon. They took away the pots,
the shovels, the snuffers, the dishes for incense, and
all the bronze vessels used in the temple service, as
well as the firepans and the basins. What was made of
gold the captain of the guard took away for the gold, and
what was made of silver, for the silver. As for the two
pillars, the one sea, and the stands, which Solomon had
made for the house of the Lord, the bronze of all these
vessels was beyond weighing. The height of one pillar was
eighteen cubits, and on it was a bronze capital; the
height of the capital was three cubits; lattice-work and
pomegranates, all of bronze, were on the capital all
round. The second pillar had the same, with the
lattice-work.
The captain of the guard took the chief priest Seraiah,
the second priest Zephaniah, and the three guardians of
the threshold; from the city he took an officer who had
been in command of the soldiers, and five men of the
king's council who were found in the city; the secretary
who was the commander of the army who mustered the people
of the land; and sixty men of the people of the land who
were found in the city. Nebuzaradan the captain of the
guard took them, and brought them to the king of Babylon
at Riblah. The king of Babylon struck them down and put
them to death at Riblah in the land of Hamath. So Judah
went into exile out of its land.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Abridge

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b148.html

Blest be the everlasting God,
the Father of our Lord
be his abounding mercy praised,
his majesty adored.

When from the dead he raised his Son
to dwell with him on high,
he gave our souls a lively hope
that they should never die.

To an inheritance divine
he taught our hearts to rise:
'tis uncorrupted, undefiled,
unfading in the skies.

Saints by the power of God are kept
till the salvation come;
we walk by faith as strangers here,
but Christ shall call us home.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 15:20-34]:

But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have died.
For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead has also
come through a human being; for as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ.
But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong
to Christ. Then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father,
after he has destroyed every ruler and every authority and power. For he must reign
until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
For 'God has put all things in subjection under his feet.' But when it says, 'All things
are put in subjection', it is plain that this does not include the one who put all things in
subjection under him. When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will
also be subjected to the one who put all things in subjection under him, so that God
may be all in all.

Otherwise, what will those people do who receive baptism on behalf of the dead? If
the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf?

And why are we putting ourselves in danger every hour? I die every day! That is as
certain, brothers and sisters, as my boasting of you a boast that I make in Christ
Jesus our Lord. If with merely human hopes I fought with wild animals at Ephesus,
what would I have gained by it? If the dead are not raised,
'Let us eat and drink,
   for tomorrow we die.'
Do not be deceived:
'Bad company ruins good morals.'
Come to a sober and right mind, and sin no more; for some people have no knowledge
of God. I say this to your shame.

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Call us now and we shall awaken,
call us now by name and we shall arise. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and uses some
images from a hymn by Thomas Troeger. The closing prayer is by Stephen
Benner and uses some phrases from a song by Marty Haugen.