OREMUS: 11 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 10 22:09:29 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, February 11, 2007
The Sixth Sunday after Epiphany

you lead us to the waters of refreshment and new life
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
He calls us to leave behind the dusty desert
of withered hopes and dreams
to become a spring of faith
that others may come near to the stream of life.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 40

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Sirach 27:4-7]:

When a sieve is shaken, the refuse appears;
   so do a person's faults when he speaks.
The kiln tests the potter's vessels;
   so the test of a person is in his conversation.
Its fruit discloses the cultivation of a tree;
   so a person's speech discloses the cultivation of his mind.
Do not praise anyone before he speaks,
   for this is the way people are tested.

HYMN
Words: Henry Francis Lyte, 1847
Tune: Eventide

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a062.html

Abide with me: fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide:
when other helpers fail and comforts flee,
help of the helpless, O abide with me.

I need thy presence every passing hour;
what but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's dark sting? where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies;
heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 15:51-58]:

Listen, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die, but we will all be changed, in a
moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound,
and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable
body must put on imperishability, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When
this perishable body puts on imperishability, and this mortal body puts on immortality,
then the saying that is written will be fulfilled:
'Death has been swallowed up in victory.'
'Where, O death, is your victory?
   Where, O death, is your sting?'
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who
gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the
Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labour is not in vain.

We lift our voices in prayers of praise, holy God, for
you have lifted us to new life in Jesus Christ, and your
blessings come in generous measure. Especially we thank
you for
     the privilege of worship and service in your name...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ...
     food and drink to share in the Lord's name...
     our calling to discipleship...

We hold up before you human needs, God of compassion, for
you have come to us in Jesus Christ and shared our life
so we may share his resurrection. Especially we pray for
     the healing of those who are sick...
                    (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the comfort of the dying...
     the renewal of those in despair...
     the Spirit's power in the church...

Righteous God,
you challenge the powers that rule this world
and you show favor to the oppressed:
Instill in us a true sense of justice,
that we may discern the signs of your kingdom
and strive for right to prevail;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Call us now and we shall awaken,
call us now by name and we shall arise. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and uses some
images from a hymn by Thomas Troeger. The closing prayer is by Stephen
Benner and uses some phrases from a song by Marty Haugen.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.