OREMUS: 7 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Feb 6 19:39:44 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, February 7, 2007

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 125

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 8:1-15]:

Then the Lord said to me, Take a large tablet and write
on it in common characters, 'Belonging to
Maher-shalal-hash-baz', and have it attested for me by
reliable witnesses, the priest Uriah and Zechariah son of
Jeberechiah. And I went to the prophetess, and she
conceived and bore a son. Then the Lord said to me, Name
him Maher-shalal-hash-baz; for before the child knows how
to call 'My father' or 'My mother', the wealth of
Damascus and the spoil of Samaria will be carried away by
the king of Assyria.

The Lord spoke to me again: Because this people has
refused the waters of Shiloah that flow gently, and melt
in fear before Rezin and the son of Remaliah; therefore,
the Lord is bringing up against it the mighty flood
waters of the River, the king of Assyria and all his
glory; it will rise above all its channels and overflow
all its banks; it will sweep on into Judah as a flood,
and, pouring over, it will reach up to the neck; and its
outspread wings will fill the breadth of your land, O
Immanuel.

Band together, you peoples, and be dismayed;
   listen, all you far countries;
gird yourselves and be dismayed;
   gird yourselves and be dismayed!
Take counsel together, but it shall be brought to naught;
   speak a word, but it will not stand,
   for God is with us.

For the Lord spoke thus to me while his hand was strong
upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this
people, saying: Do not call conspiracy all that this
people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what it fears,
or be in dread. But the Lord of hosts, him you shall
regard as holy; let him be your fear, and let him be your
dread. He will become a sanctuary, a stone one strikes
against; for both houses of Israel he will become a rock
one stumbles over a trap and a snare for the inhabitants
of Jerusalem. And many among them shall stumble; they
shall fall and be broken; they shall be snared and taken.

HYMN
Words: Gilbert Keith Chesterton, 1906
Tune: King's Lynn

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o174.html

O God of earth and altar,
bow down and hear our cry,
our earthly rulers falter,
our people drift and die;
the walls of gold entomb us,
the swords of scorn divide,
take not thy thunder from us,
but take away our pride.

>From all that terror teaches,
from lies of tongue and pen,
from all the easy speeches
that comfort cruel men,
from sale and profanation
of honor, and the sword,
from sleep and from damnation,
deliver us, good Lord!

Tie in a living tether
the prince and priest and thrall,
bind all our lives together,
smite us and save us all;
in ire and exultation
aflame with faith, and free,
lift up a living nation,
a single sword to thee.

SECOND READING [Luke 5:27-32]:

After this Jesus went out and saw a tax-collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth;
and he said to him, 'Follow me.' And he got up, left everything, and followed him.
Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house; and there was a large crowd of
tax-collectors and others sitting at the table with them. The Pharisees and their scribes
were complaining to his disciples, saying, 'Why do you eat and drink with
tax-collectors and sinners?' Jesus answered, 'Those who are well have no need of a
physician, but those who are sick; I have come to call not the righteous but sinners to
repentance.'

Under your holy wings, you gather us, O God,
and you shelter us by your grace.

Together in faith communities,
you call us share your love and mercy.
Gather us in, O God.

We give you thanks for all that gives shape to life in community:
devotion to apostolic teaching,
sharing in fellowship around your Word and Table,
continuous prayer for the world and the Church.
Gather us in, O God.

Save your Church from formless piety.
Gather us in, O God.

Help families and the leaders of households to pattern faith.
Gather us in, O God.

Choose and renew our leaders for disciple-making.
Gather us in, O God.

Uphold those who seek peace with justice.
Gather us in, O God.

Give light to all who strive to discern what is right.
Gather us in, O God.

Comfort the dying.
Gather us in, O God.

Heal the broken and suffering.
Gather us in, O God.

Faithful God,
you have appointed us your witnesses,
to be light that shines in the world:
Let us not hide the bright hope you have given us, b
ut tell everyone your love,
revealed in Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust: