OREMUS: 6 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 5 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 6, 2007

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 120

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 9:15-10:1b]:

Now the day before Saul came, the Lord had revealed to
Samuel: 'Tomorrow about this time I will send to you a
man from the land of Benjamin, and you shall anoint him
to be ruler over my people Israel. He shall save my
people from the hand of the Philistines; for I have seen
the suffering of my people, because their outcry has come
to me.' When Samuel saw Saul, the Lord told him, 'Here is
the man of whom I spoke to you. He it is who shall rule
over my people.' Then Saul approached Samuel inside the
gate, and said, 'Tell me, please, where is the house of
the seer?' Samuel answered Saul, 'I am the seer; go up
before me to the shrine, for today you shall eat with me,
and in the morning I will let you go and will tell you
all that is on your mind. As for your donkeys that were
lost three days ago, give no further thought to them, for
they have been found. And on whom is all Israel's desire
fixed, if not on you and on all your ancestral house?'
Saul answered, 'I am only a Benjaminite, from the least
of the tribes of Israel, and my family is the humblest of
all the families of the tribe of Benjamin. Why then have
you spoken to me in this way?'
Then Samuel took Saul and his servant-boy and brought
them into the hall, and gave them a place at the head of
those who had been invited, of whom there were about
thirty. And Samuel said to the cook, 'Bring the portion I
gave you, the one I asked you to put aside.' The cook
took up the thigh and what went with it and set them
before Saul. Samuel said, 'See, what was kept is set
before you. Eat; for it is set before you at the
appointed time, so that you might eat with the
guests.'
So Saul ate with Samuel that day. When they came down
from the shrine into the town, a bed was spread for Saul
on the roof, and he lay down to sleep. Then at the break
of dawn Samuel called to Saul upon the roof, 'Get up, so
that I may send you on your way.' Saul got up, and both
he and Samuel went out into the street.
As they were going down to the outskirts of the town,
Samuel said to Saul, 'Tell the boy to go on before us,
and when he has passed on, stop here yourself for a
while, that I may make known to you the word of God.'
Samuel took a phial of oil and poured it on his head, and
kissed him; he said, 'The Lord has anointed you ruler
over his people Israel. You shall reign over the people
of the Lord and you will save them from the hand of their
enemies all around."

HYMN
Words: Ancient Irish hymn;
trans. Mary Byrne, 1905, and versified by Eleanor Hull, 1912
Tune: Slane

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b021.html

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
be all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, be thou my true word,
be thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
be thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
be thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Be thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
be thou my whole armor, be thou my true might;
be thou my soul's shelter, be thou my strong tower:
O raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
be thou mine inheritance now and always;
be thou and thou only the first in my heart;
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, thou heaven's bright sun,
O grant me its joys after victory is won;
great Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be thou my vision, O Ruler of all.

SECOND READING [1 Timothy 3:1-9]:

The saying is sure: whoever aspires to the office of bishop desires a noble task. Now a
bishop must be above reproach, married only once, temperate, sensible, respectable,
hospitable, an apt teacher, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, and
not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, keeping his children
submissive and respectful in every way  for if someone does not know how to
manage his own household, how can he take care of God's church? He must not be a
recent convert, or he may be puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of
the devil. Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall
into disgrace and the snare of the devil.
Deacons likewise must be serious, not double-tongued, not indulging in much wine,
not greedy for money; they must hold fast to the mystery of the faith with a clear
conscience.

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

God of consolation,
look upon us, pilgrims in a strange land:
preserve us from slander and deceit,
show us the truth
and give to our souls the peace Christ won upon the cross.
To him be glory for ever! Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The God of love who calls us,