OREMUS: 5 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 4 22:33:36 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, February 5, 2007
The Martyrs of Japan, 1597

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 110:1-5

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Judges 5:1-11]:

Then Deborah and Barak son of Abinoam sang on that day, saying:
'When locks are long in Israel,
   when the people offer themselves willingly
   bless the Lord!

'Hear, O kings; give ear, O princes;
   to the Lord I will sing,
   I will make melody to the Lord, the God of Israel.

'Lord, when you went out from Seir,
   when you marched from the region of Edom,
the earth trembled,
   and the heavens poured,
   the clouds indeed poured water.
The mountains quaked before the Lord, the One of Sinai,
   before the Lord, the God of Israel.

'In the days of Shamgar son of Anath,
   in the days of Jael, caravans ceased
   and travellers kept to the byways.
The peasantry prospered in Israel,
   they grew fat on plunder,
because you arose, Deborah,
   arose as a mother in Israel.
When new gods were chosen,
   then war was in the gates.
Was shield or spear to be seen
   among forty thousand in Israel?
My heart goes out to the commanders of Israel
   who offered themselves willingly among the people.
   Bless the Lord.

'Tell of it, you who ride on white donkeys,
   you who sit on rich carpets,
   and you who walk by the way.
To the sound of musicians at the watering-places,
   there they repeat the triumphs of the Lord,
   the triumphs of his peasantry in Israel.

'Then down to the gates marched the people of the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Denis Wortman, 1884, alt.
Tune: Toulon

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g242.html

God of the prophets! Bless the prophets' sons,
Elijah's mantle o'er Elisha cast;
each age its solemn task may claim but once;
make each one nobler, stronger, than the last.

Anoint them prophets! Make their ears attend
to thy divinest speech; their hearts awake
to human need; their lips make eloquent
to gird the right and every evil break.

Anoint them priests! Strong intercessors, they
for pardon and for charity and peace.
Ah, if with them the world might, now astray,
find in our Lord from all its woes release!

Anoint them kings; aye, kingly kings, O Lord.
Anoint them with the Spirit of thy Son.
Theirs not a jeweled crown, a blood stained sword;
theirs, by sweet love, for Christ a kingdom won.

Make them apostles, heralds of thy cross,
forth may they go to tell all realms thy grace;
inspired of thee, may they count all but loss,
and stand at last with joy before thy face.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 14:26-40]:

What should be done then, my friends? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let them be silent in church and speak to themselves and to God. Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. If a revelation is made to someone else sitting nearby, let the first person be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged. And the spirits of prophets are subject to the prophets, for God is a God not of disorder but of peace.
(As in all the churches of the saints, women should be silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as the law also says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church. Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only ones it has reached?)
Anyone who claims to be a prophet, or to have spiritual powers, must acknowledge that what I am writing to you is a command of the Lord. Anyone who does not recognize this is not to be recognized. So, my friends, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues; but all things should be done decently and in order.

All-seeing, all-loving God,
you behold the human family as one.
You regard each of us as loved, redeemed, a temple of your Spirit.
Beholding you, we respond in thanks and praise as one Church.

Renew the Church in a dynamic sense of your grace.
Renew us, O Lord.

Work in us a continuing conversion:
Renew us, O Lord.

Give all your disciples eyes to see you in the ordinary:
Renew us, O Lord.

Lift the heavy hands of oppression
from the poor, the abused and the exploited:
Renew us, O Lord.

Kindle in the suffering and desperate
the warmth of your nearness and consolation:
Renew us, O Lord.

Stir up in us attention to the Spirit breathing within us:
Renew us, O Lord.

When you came among us in majesty, O God,
you took the form of a servant.
May we whom you call to your priestly service
work to establish justice on earth,
that we may inherit your kingdom in heaven;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
source of strength to all your saints,
you brought the holy martyrs of Japan
through the suffering of the cross to the joys of eternal life:
Grant that we, encouraged by their example,
may hold fast the faith we profess, even to death itself;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The God of love who calls us,
guide us this day and always:
his might uphold us,
his love enfold us,
his peace empower us;
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The Christian faith was first introduced into Japan in the sixteenth century by
Jesuit and later by Franciscan missionaries. By the end of that century, there
were probably about 300,000 baptized believers in Japan.
Unfortunately, this promising beginning met reverses, brought about by
rivalries between different groups of missionaries and political intrigues by the
Spanish and Portuguese governments, along with power politics among
factions in the Japanese government itself. The result was a suppression of
Christians.
The first victims were six Franciscan friars and twenty of their converts, who
were crucified as Nagasaki on 5 February 1597. After a short interval of
relative tolerance, many other Christians were arrested, imprisoned for life, or
tortured and killed; and the Church was totally driven underground by 1630.
However, when Japan was re-opened to Western contacts 250 years later, it
was found that a community of Japanese Christians had survived underground,
without clergy, without Scriptures, with only very sketchy instructions in the
doctrines of the faith, but with a firm commitment to Jesus as Lord.