OREMUS: 4 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 3 22:27:46 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, February 4, 2007
The Fifth Sunday after Epiphany

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 119:137-152

You are righteous, O Lord,*
 and upright are your judgements.
You have issued your decrees*
 with justice and in perfect faithfulness.
My indignation has consumed me,*
 because my enemies forget your words.
Your word has been tested to the uttermost,*
 and your servant holds it dear.
I am small and of little account,*
 yet I do not forget your commandments.
Your justice is an everlasting justice*
 and your law is the truth.
Trouble and distress have come upon me,*
 yet your commandments are my delight.
The righteousness of your decrees is everlasting;*
 grant me understanding, that I may live.

I call with my whole heart;*
 answer me, O Lord, that I may keep your statutes.
I call to you; O that you would save me!*
 I will keep your decrees.
Early in the morning I cry out to you,*
 for in your word is my trust.
My eyes are open in the night watches,*
 that I may meditate upon your promise.
Hear my voice, O Lord,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 according to your judgements, give me life.
They draw near who in malice persecute me;*
 they are very far from your law.
You, O Lord, are near at hand,*
 and all your commandments are true.
Long have I known from your decrees*
 that you have established them for ever.

Bless the Lord (Song of the Three 29-34)
Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [2 Kings 8:1-6]:

Now Elisha had said to the woman whose son he had
restored to life, 'Get up and go with your household, and
settle wherever you can; for the Lord has called for a
famine, and it will come on the land for seven years.' So
the woman got up and did according to the word of the man
of God; she went with her household and settled in the
land of the Philistines for seven years. At the end of
the seven years, when the woman returned from the land of
the Philistines, she set out to appeal to the king for
her house and her land. Now the king was talking with
Gehazi the servant of the man of God, saying, 'Tell me
all the great things that Elisha has done.' While he was
telling the king how Elisha had restored a dead person to
life, the woman whose son he had restored to life
appealed to the king for her house and her land. Gehazi
said, 'My lord king, here is the woman, and here is her
son whom Elisha restored to life.' When the king
questioned the woman, she told him. So the king appointed
an official for her, saying, 'Restore all that was hers,
together with all the revenue of the fields from the day
that she left the land until now.'

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892), 1867
Tune: Bishopthorpe
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i226.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i
226.html

Immortal love, forever full,
forever flowing free,
forever shared, forever whole,
a never ebbing sea!

Our outward lips confess the name
all other names above;
love only knoweth whence it came,
and comprehendeth love.

We may not climb the heavenly steeps
to bring the Lord Christ down;
In vain we search the lowest deeps,
for him no depths can drown.

But warm, sweet, tender, even yet,
a present help is he;
and faith still has its Olivet,
and love its Galilee.

The healing of his seamless dress
is by our beds of pain;
we touch him in life's throng and press,
and we are whole again.

Through him the first fond prayers are said
our lips of childhood frame,
the last low whispers of our dead
are burdened with his Name.

O Lord and Master of us all,
whate'er our name or sign,
we own thy sway, we hear thy call,
we test our lives by thine.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 15:35-38, 42-50]:

But someone will ask, 'How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they
come?' Fool! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. And as for what you
sow, you do not sow the body that is to be, but a bare seed, perhaps of wheat or of
some other grain. But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed
its own body.
So it is with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable, what is raised is
imperishable. It is sown in dishonour, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is
raised in power. It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a
physical body, there is also a spiritual body. Thus it is written, 'The first man, Adam,
became a living being'; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. But it is not the
spiritual that is first, but the physical, and then the spiritual. The first man was from the
earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. As was the man of dust, so are
those who are of the dust; and as is the man of heaven, so are those who are of
heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we will also bear the
image of the man of heaven.
What I am saying, brothers and sisters, is this: flesh and blood cannot inherit the
kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

O God, Creator of all that is and is to be,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Son, restorer of all creation
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Spirit, ground of all holiness,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O Holy, Blessed and Glorious Trinity,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Uphold and govern the Churches of the Anglican Communion;
direct them into love and truth;
and grant them that unity which is your will.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us such a sense of your love,
and such a vision of your purpose for all creation
that we may receive new understanding of your mercy
and, resisting schism, boldly proclaim the gospel.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Enlighten our bishops with your special grace;
grant to him wisdom, knowledge and understanding;
empower him with such gifts of reconciliation and love
that, embracing difference and diversity,
our church may joyfully proclaim your word.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us discerning and receptive minds;
where there is anger, grant reconciliation;
where there is prejudice, grant openness;
where there is fearfulness, give serenity;
where there is ambition, give humility.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Endow us with clarity of thought,
generosity of mind, and charity of speech;
grant us gifts of patience and forbearance;
may we delight in the truth
and be surprised by the Spirit.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Bring into the way of truth all who have erred
and are deceived.
Hear us, good Lord.

Strengthen those who stand;
comfort and help the faint-hearted;
raise up the fallen;
and finally beat down all the powers of darkness.
Holy God,
Holy and strong,
Holy and immortal,
Have mercy upon us.

Heavenly Father,
you have called us
in the Body of your Son Jesus Christ
to continue his work of reconciliation
and reveal you to humankind.
Forgive us the sins that tear us apart;
give us the courage to overcome our fears
and to seek that unity
which is your gift and your will;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer