OREMUS: 3 February 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 2 20:36:03 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, February 3, 2007
Anskar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Missionary in Denmark and Sweden, 865

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 1

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 2

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
   and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
   this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
   your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Judges 3:7-11]:

The Israelites did what was evil in the sight of the
Lord, forgetting the Lord their God, and worshipping the
Baals and the Asherahs. Therefore the anger of the Lord
was kindled against Israel, and he sold them into the
hand of King Cushan-rishathaim of Aram-naharaim; and the
Israelites served Cushan-rishathaim for eight years. But
when the Israelites cried out to the Lord, the Lord
raised up a deliverer for the Israelites, who delivered
them, Othniel son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother. The
spirit of the Lord came upon him, and he judged Israel;
he went out to war, and the Lord gave King
Cushan-rishathaim of Aram into his hand; and his hand
prevailed over Cushan-rishathaim. So the land had rest
for forty years. Then Othniel son of Kenaz died.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Crger, Es flog ein kleins Waldv”glein

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html

Hail to the Lord's Anointed,
great David's greater Son!
Hail, in the time appointed,
his reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression,
to set the captive free,
to take away transgression,
and rule in equity.

He comes, with succour speedy,
to those who suffer wrong;
to help the poor and needy,
and bid the weak be strong;
to give them songs for sighing,
their darkness turn to light,
whose souls, condemned and dying,
were precious in his sight.

He shall come down like showers
upon the fruitful earth;
love, joy, and hope, like flowers,
spring in his path to birth;
before him, on the mountains,
shall peace the herald go;
and righteousness, in fountains,
from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before him,
and gold and incense bring;
all nations shall adore him,
his praise all people sing;
to him shall prayer unceasing
and daily vows ascend,
his kingdom still increasing,
a kingdom without end.

O'er every foe victorious,
he on his throne shall rest;
from age to age more glorious,
all-blessing and all-blest.
the tide of time shall never
his covenant remove;
his name shall stand for ever,
his changeless Name of love.

SECOND READING [Luke 4:42-44]:

At daybreak Jesus departed and went into a deserted place. And the crowds were
looking for him; and when they reached him, they wanted to prevent him from leaving
them. But he said to them, 'I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to
the other cities also; for I was sent for this purpose.' So he continued proclaiming the
message in the synagogues of Judea.

God of all time,
we bless you for the gift of this day
and for our hope in Christ Jesus.
In the midst of all that demands our attention,
free us to love you with all our hearts
and to love the world with your mercy and justice.

Let our love be genuine:
Kyrie eleison

Let our affections be tempered with holiness:
Kyrie eleison

Let our desires be shaped by the vision
of a new heaven and a new earth:
Kyrie eleison

Let our actions reflect the balance of love
for your reign in all things:
Kyrie eleison

Let our perceptions and feelings be ordered
by the hope we have in Christ:
Kyrie eleison

O Christ, our fountain of living water,
welling up to eternal life:
as by your obedience many were made righteous,
so may we delight in your commandments
and flourish in your way;
who live and reign, now and for ever. Amen.

Almighty and everlasting God,
you sent your servant Anskar
as an apostle to the people of Scandinavia,
and enabled him to lay a firm foundation for their conversion,
though he did not see the results of his labors:
Keep your Church from discouragement in the day of small things,
knowing than when you have begun a good work
you will bring it to a faithful conclusion;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

 Anskar (in Latin, Ansgarius) was a monk of Saxon family, born in 801 (the
year after the crowning of Charlemagne). In 826, when King Harald of
Denmark asked Charlemagne's successors for missionaries, Anskar led a group
to Denmark, and a few years later to Sweden. Because of unsettled political
conditions, his work ran into difficulties, and Anskar withdrew into Germany,
where he served as first Archbishop of Hamburg. Later, however, he helped to
consecrate Gotbert, the first bishop of Sweden. The Church of Sweden honors
him as its apostle, and he serves as symbol of the historic friendship and
present-day connection between the Anglican Churches and the Church of
Sweden. [James Kiefer]