OREMUS: 1 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 31 21:40:41 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 1, 2008
The Naming and Circumcision of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, O God, the almighty Father,
for your placing us into a world of space and time,
and through the events of our lives
you bless us with your love.
Shed forth the glory of your  presence
that we may see your love at work
and live in the light of the event
that gives us joy forever:
the coming of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 115

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15:3-4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds,
Lord God the Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,
O ruler of the nations.

Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord?
for you alone are holy.

All nations shall come and worship in your presence:
for your just dealings have been revealed.

for ever and ever. Amen.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 30:1-20]:

When all these things have happened to you, the blessings and the curses that I have set before
you, if you call them to mind among all the nations where the Lord your God has driven you, and
return to the Lord your God, and you and your children obey him with all your heart and with all
your soul, just as I am commanding you today, then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes
and have compassion on you, gathering you again from all the peoples among whom the Lord
your God has scattered you. Even if you are exiled to the ends of the world, from there the Lord
your God will gather you, and from there he will bring you back. The Lord your God will bring
you into the land that your ancestors possessed, and you will possess it; he will make you more
prosperous and numerous than your ancestors.
Moreover, the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, so
that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, in order that you
may live. The Lord your God will put all these curses on your enemies and on the adversaries who
took advantage of you. Then you shall again obey the Lord, observing all his commandments that
I am commanding you today, and the Lord your God will make you abundantly prosperous in all
your undertakings, in the fruit of your body, in the fruit of your livestock, and in the fruit of your
soil. For the Lord will again take delight in prospering you, just as he delighted in prospering your
ancestors, when you obey the Lord your God by observing his commandments and decrees that
are written in this book of the law, because you turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and
with all your soul.
Surely, this commandment that I am commanding you today is not too hard for you, nor is it too
far away. It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us, and get it for
us so that we may hear it and observe it?' Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who
will cross to the other side of the sea for us, and get it for us so that we may hear it and observe
it?' No, the word is very near to you; it is in your mouth and in your heart for you to observe.
See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, death and adversity. If you obey the
commandments of the Lord your God that I am commanding you today, by loving the Lord your
God, walking in his ways, and observing his commandments, decrees, and ordinances, then you
shall live and become numerous, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are
entering to possess. But if your heart turns away and you do not hear, but are led astray to bow
down to other gods and serve them, I declare to you today that you shall perish; you shall not live
long in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess. I call heaven and earth to
witness against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose
life so that you and your descendants may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and
holding fast to him; for that means life to you and length of days, so that you may live in the land
that the Lord swore to give to your ancestors, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.

HYMN
Words: Meaux Breviary, 1713; trans. Francis Pott, 1861
Tune: Tallis' Ordinal
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t410.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t410.html

The year is gone, beyond recall,
with all its hopes and fears,
with all its bright and gladdening smiles,
with all its mourners' tears.

Thy thankful people praise thee, Lord,
for countless gifts received;
and pray for grace to keep the faith
which saints of old believed.

To thee we come, O gracious Lord,
the newborn year to bless;
defend our land from pestilence,
give peace and plenteousness.

Forgive this nation's many sins,
the growth of vice restrain;
and help us all with sin to strive,
and crowns of life to gain.

>From evil deeds that stain the past
we now desire to flee;
and pray that future years may all
be spent, good Lord, for thee.

O Father, let thy watchful eye
still look on us in love,
that we may praise thee, year by year,
with angel hosts above.

All glory to the Father be,
all glory to the Son,
all glory, Holy Ghost, to thee,
while endless ages run.

SECOND READING [Acts 3:1-16]:

One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the hour of prayer, at three o'clock in the
afternoon. And a man lame from birth was being carried in. People would lay him daily at the gate
of the temple called the Beautiful Gate so that he could ask for alms from those entering the
temple. When he saw Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked them for alms. Peter
looked intently at him, as did John, and said, 'Look at us.' And he fixed his attention on them,
expecting to receive something from them. But Peter said, 'I have no silver or gold, but what I
have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk.' And he took him by
the right hand and raised him up; and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong. Jumping
up, he stood and began to walk, and he entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and
praising God. All the people saw him walking and praising God, and they recognized him as the
one who used to sit and ask for alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with
wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.
While he clung to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the portico called
Solomon's Portico, utterly astonished. When Peter saw it, he addressed the people, 'You
Israelites, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or
piety we had made him walk? The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the
God of our ancestors has glorified his servant Jesus, whom you handed over and rejected in the
presence of Pilate, though he had decided to release him. But you rejected the Holy and
Righteous One and asked to have a murderer given to you, and you killed the Author of life,
whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses. And by faith in his name, his name
itself has made this man strong, whom you see and know; and the faith that is through Jesus has
given him this perfect health in the presence of all of you.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
In a world of change and hope,
of fear and adventure,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In human rebellion and obedience,
in our seeking and our finding,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In the common life of our society,
in prosperity and need,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

As your Church proclaims your goodness,
in words and action,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Among our friends,
and in our homes,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our times of joy,
in our days of sorrow,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our strengths and triumphs,
in our weakness and at our death,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In your saints in glory
and on the day of Christ's coming,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Eternal Father,
you gave to your incarnate Son
the holy name of Jesus
to be the sign of our salvation
Plant in every heart, we pray,
the love of him who is the Savior of the world,
our Lord Jesus Christ;
one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May God keep us in all our days.
May Christ shield us in all our ways.
May the Spirit brings us healing and peace.
May God the Holy Trinity drive all darkness from us
and pour upon us blessing and light. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercession and the closing sentence are adapted from _The Promise
of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central Board of Finance  of the
Church of England 1990, 1991, which is used with permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.