OREMUS: 20 December 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 19 20:02:46 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, December 20, 2007
O Clavis David

Blessed are you, O Key of David,
scepter of the house of Israel,
you open and none can shut,
you shut and none can open.
You come to release those who are imprisoned
by darkness and the shadow of death
and lead your captive people into freedom.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html
colspan=2>
Psalm 37:29-end

The Lord loves justice;*
 he does not forsake his faithful ones.
They shall be kept safe for ever,*
 but the offspring of the wicked shall be destroyed.
The righteous shall possess the land*
 and dwell in it for ever.
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,*
 and their tongue speaks what is right.
The law of their God is in their heart,*
 and their footsteps shall not falter.
The wicked spy on the righteous*
 and seek occasion to kill them.
The Lord will not abandon them to their hand,*
 nor let them be found guilty when brought to trial.
Wait upon the Lord and keep his way;*
 he will raise you up to possess the land,
   and when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.
I have seen the wicked in their arrogance,*
 flourishing like a tree in full leaf.
I went by and, behold, they were not there;*
 I searched for them, but they could not be found.
Mark those who are honest; observe the upright;*
 for there is a future for the peaceable.
Transgressors shall be destroyed, one and all;*
 the future of the wicked is cut off.
But the deliverance of the righteous
   comes from the Lord;*
 he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
The Lord will help them and rescue them;*
 he will rescue them from the wicked and deliver them,
   because they seek refuge in him.

Psalm 39

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 7:10-14]:

Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz, saying, Ask a sign of the Lord your God; let it be deep as Sheol or
high as heaven. But Ahaz said, I will not ask, and I will not put the Lord to the test. Then Isaiah
said: 'Hear then, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary mortals, that you weary my
God also? Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child
and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.

HYMN
Words: Piae cantiones, 1582; trans. John Mason Neale (1818-1866)
Tune: Angelus emittitur
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g002.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g002.html

Gabriel's message does away
Satan's curse and Satan's sway,
out of darkness brings our Day:
Refrain:
so, behold,
all the gates of heaven unfold.

He that comes despised shall reign;
he that cannot die, be slain;
death by death its death shall gain: Refrain

Weakness shall the strong confound;
by the hands, in grave clothes wound,
Adam's chains shall be unbound. Refrain

By the sword that was his own,
by that sword, and that alone,
shall Goliath be o'erthrown: Refrain

Art by art shall be assailed;
to the cross shall Life be nailed;
from the grave shall hope be hailed: Refrain

SECOND READING [Luke 1:26-38]:

In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a
virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin's name was
Mary. And he came to her and said, 'Greetings, favoured one! The Lord is with you.' But she was
much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. The angel said to
her, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favour with God. And now, you will conceive in
your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the
Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. He
will reign over the house of Jacob for ever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.' Mary said to
the angel, 'How can this be, since I am a virgin?' The angel said to her, 'The Holy Spirit will
come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be
born will be holy; he will be called Son of God. And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age
has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren. For
nothing will be impossible with God.' Then Mary said, 'Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it
be with me according to your word.' Then the angel departed from her.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
in silence
you watched,
you waited,
you yearned

    until your heart
    could break no more

so you came to us . . .

in a stable
where no one noticed you;

by a well
where you welcomed the outsider;

on a hillside
where you fed hungry souls;

on a cross
when you died for us

        in love,
        you came to us.

in silence
we watch,
we wait, we yearn.

        come, Lord Jesus,
        that we might rejoice
        once again.
        Amen.

O God, Father of the poor and lowly,
you have called all people to share the peace and joy of your kingdom:
Show us your kindness and grant us hearts pure and generous,
that we may prepare the way for the Savior who is coming,
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/mid/veniemma.mid">here

O come, thou Key of David, come,
and open wide our heavenly home;
make safe the way that leads on high,
and close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on the antiphon O Clavis David.

The prayer is (c) Thom M. Shuman and is used with permission.

The collect is from _Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in
Australia.