OREMUS: 17 December 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Dec 16 19:10:11 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, December 17, 2007
O Sapientia

Blessed are you, O Wisdom, O holy Word of God,
coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
pervading and permeating all creation,
you order all things with strength and gentleness:
You are our Lord Jesus Christ,
who in these late times became human.
that he might unite the end with the beginning.

Psalm 36 [CCP]

There is a voice of rebellion deep in the heart of the wicked;*
 there is no fear of God before their eyes.
They flatter themselves in their own eyes*
 that their hateful sin will not be found out.
The words of their mouths are wicked and deceitful;*
 they have left off acting wisely and doing good.
They think up wickedness upon their beds
   and have set themselves in no good way;*
 they do not abhor that which is evil.
Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.
Let not the foot of the proud come near me,*
 nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.
See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness!*
 they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.

Psalm 41

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sick-bed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my
best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Genesis 49.2, 8 10]:

Assemble and hear, O sons of Jacob;
   listen to Israel your father.

'Judah, your brothers shall praise you;
   your hand shall be on the neck of your enemies;
   your father's sons shall bow down before you.
Judah is a lion's whelp;
   from the prey, my son, you have gone up.
He crouches down, he stretches out like a lion,
   like a lioness who dares rouse him up?
The sceptre shall not depart from Judah,
   nor the ruler's staff from between his feet,
until tribute comes to him;
   and the obedience of the peoples is his.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Crger, Es flog ein kleins Waldv”glein

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html

Hail to the Lord's Anointed,
great David's greater Son!
Hail, in the time appointed,
his reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression,
to set the captive free,
to take away transgression,
and rule in equity.

He comes, with succour speedy,
to those who suffer wrong;
to help the poor and needy,
and bid the weak be strong;
to give them songs for sighing,
their darkness turn to light,
whose souls, condemned and dying,
were precious in his sight.

He shall come down like showers
upon the fruitful earth;
love, joy, and hope, like flowers,
spring in his path to birth;
before him, on the mountains,
shall peace the herald go;
and righteousness, in fountains,
from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before him,
and gold and incense bring;
all nations shall adore him,
his praise all people sing;
to him shall prayer unceasing
and daily vows ascend,
his kingdom still increasing,
a kingdom without end.

O'er every foe victorious,
he on his throne shall rest;
from age to age more glorious,
all-blessing and all-blest.
the tide of time shall never
his covenant remove;
his name shall stand for ever,
his changeless Name of love.

SECOND READING [Matthew 1.1 17]:

An account of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, the son of
Abraham.
Abraham was the father of Isaac, and Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of
Judah and his brothers, and Judah the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, and Perez
the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Aram, and Aram the father of
Aminadab, and Aminadab the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon,
and Salmon the father of Boaz by Rahab, and Boaz the father of Obed by Ruth, and
Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of King David.
And David was the father of Solomon by the wife of Uriah, and Solomon the father of
Rehoboam, and Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah the father of Asaph, and
Asaph the father of Jehoshaphat, and Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, and Joram the
father of Uzziah, and Uzziah the father of Jotham, and Jotham the father of Ahaz, and
Ahaz the father of Hezekiah, and Hezekiah the father of Manasseh, and Manasseh the
father of Amos, and Amos the father of Josiah, and Josiah the father of Jechoniah and
his brothers, at the time of the deportation to Babylon.
And after the deportation to Babylon: Jechoniah was the father of Salathiel, and
Salathiel the father of Zerubbabel, and Zerubbabel the father of Abiud, and Abiud the
father of Eliakim, and Eliakim the father of Azor, and Azor the father of Zadok, and
Zadok the father of Achim, and Achim the father of Eliud, and Eliud the father of
Eleazar, and Eleazar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob, and Jacob
the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, who is called the
Messiah.
So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from
David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the deportation
to Babylon to the Messiah, fourteen generations.

Come, O Wisdom, come!

Word, spoken in eternity by mouth of the Most High,
O Wisdom of the mind and heart of God!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

Eternal Archetype, all creation's beauty
is fragment of your loveliness!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

Great Logos come to rest in the Virgin's womb!
O Little Wisdom born to us!
Almighty clothed in tenderness!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

>From end to end of time,
the grace of Love Incarnate orders all.
Come, O Wisdom, come!

O Wisdom, let me partake of you and yet still hunger,
and let me drink of you and always thirst.
Come, O Wisdom, come!

O Wisdom that is Love and love's Delight,
teach me to search him through the darkened streets
for whom our hearts long
Come, O Wisdom, come!

O Wisdom,
your words uttered in the beginning
generated a world of beauty and goodness,
giving purpose and value to each creature;
Instruct us in the way of prudence,
that we may nurture the world with justice and joy;
through the Name of the One who is Coming,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found
here

O come, thou Wisdom from on high,
who orderest all things mightily;
to us the path of knowledge show,
and teach us in her ways to go.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.