OREMUS: 15 December 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Dec 14 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, December 15, 2007

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9)
Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,
Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.
They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.
For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,
And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.
The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.
For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 48.1 4, 9 11]:

Then Elijah arose, a prophet like fire,
   and his word burned like a torch.
He brought a famine upon them,
   and by his zeal he made them few in number.
By the word of the Lord he shut up the heavens,
   and also three times brought down fire.
How glorious you were, Elijah, in your wondrous deeds!
   Whose glory is equal to yours?
You were taken up by a whirlwind of fire,
   in a chariot with horses of fire.
At the appointed time, it is written, you are destined
   to calm the wrath of God before it breaks out in fury,
to turn the hearts of parents to their children,
   and to restore the tribes of Jacob.
Happy are those who saw you
   and were adorned with your love!
   For we also shall surely live.

HYMN
Words: Charles Coffin, 1736; trans. Isaac Williams, 1839
Tune: Darwall's 148th, Croft's 148th, Croft's 136th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l182.html

Lo, from the desert homes,
where he hath hid so long,
the new Elijah comes,
in sternest wisdom strong;
the voice that cries
of Christ from high,
and judgment nigh
from opening skies.

Your God e'en now doth stand
at heaven's opening door;
his fan is in his hand,
and he will purge his floor;
the wheat he claims
and with him stows;
the chaff he throws
to quenchless flames.

Ye haughty mountains, bow
your sky-aspiring heads;
ye valleys, hiding low,
lift up your gentle meads;
make his way plain
your King before,
for evermore
he comes to reign.

May thy dread voice around,
thou harbinger of Light,
on our dull ears still sound,
lest here we sleep in night,
till judgment come,
and on our path
shall burst the wrath,
and deathless doom.

O God, with love's sweet might,
who dost anoint and arm
Christ's soldier for the fight
with grace that shields from harm,
thrice blessŠd Three,
heaven's endless days
shall sing thy praise
eternally.

SECOND READING [Matthew 17.10 13]:

And the disciples asked Jesus, 'Why, then, do the scribes say that Elijah must come
first?' He replied, 'Elijah is indeed coming and will restore all things; but I tell you that
Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but they did to him whatever
they pleased. So also the Son of Man is about to suffer at their hands.' Then the
disciples understood that he was speaking to them about John the Baptist.

under whose wings we dwell in safety and mercy,
we give you thanks for all the seasons of grace:
for hope that cries out with prophetic voice,
for your gift of Emmanuel,
for your light that shines in the darkness:
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Enable us to make fresh beginnings
during these Advent days...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Release the everlasting stream of your justice and peace
that it may flow among the nations...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

For your Church reaching out in every place, especially
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Save and defend all who suffer want, brokenness, or trouble...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Resupply your Church and its leaders
with the oil of gladness and vigilance...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

God our holy Friend,
because of your love you sent your prophet John
to prepare the way for the coming of your Son, our Saviour.
By your Spirit, prepare our lives,
that by our worship and service we may open up paths for his coming.
Through us, may his liberating love travel into the world around us.
In your name and to your glory. AMEN.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts; and another sentence from
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_,
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The collect is by Bruce Prewer.
The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.