OREMUS: 13 December 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 12 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, December 13, 2007
Lucy, Martyr at Syracuse, 304

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?
It is God who girds me about with strength*
 and makes my way secure.
He makes me sure-footed like a deer*
 and lets me stand firm on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle*
 and my arms for bending even a bow of bronze.
You have given me your shield of victory;*
 your right hand also sustains me;
   your loving care makes me great.
You lengthen my stride beneath me,*
 and my ankles do not give way.
I pursue my enemies and overtake them;*
 I will not turn back till I have destroyed them.
I strike them down and they cannot rise;*
 they fall defeated at my feet.
You have girded me with strength for the battle;*
 you have cast down my adversaries beneath me;
   you have put my enemies to flight.
I destroy those who hate me;
   they cry out, but there is none to help them;*
 they cry to the Lord, but he does not answer.
I beat them small like dust before the wind;*
 I trample them like mud in the streets.
You deliver me from the strife of the peoples;*
 you put me at the head of the nations.
A people I have not known shall serve me;
   no sooner shall they hear than they shall obey me;*
 strangers will cringe before me.
The foreign peoples will lose heart;*
 they shall come trembling out of their strongholds.
The Lord lives! Blessed is my rock!*
 Exalted is the God of my salvation!
He is the God who gave me victory*
 and cast down the peoples beneath me.
You rescued me from the fury of my enemies;
   you exalted me above those who rose against me;*
 you saved me from my deadly foe;
Therefore will I extol you among the nations, O Lord,*
 and sing praises to your name.
He multiplies the victories of his king;*
 he shows loving-kindness to his anointed,
   to David and his descendants for ever.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40. 9-11)
Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.
Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'
See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.
Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.
God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;
He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 41.13 20]:

For I, the Lord your God,
   hold your right hand;
it is I who say to you, 'Do not fear,
   I will help you.'

Do not fear, you worm Jacob,
   you insect Israel!
I will help you, says the Lord;
   your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.
Now, I will make of you a threshing-sledge,
   sharp, new, and having teeth;
you shall thresh the mountains and crush them,
   and you shall make the hills like chaff.
You shall winnow them and the wind shall carry them away,
   and the tempest shall scatter them.
Then you shall rejoice in the Lord;
   in the Holy One of Israel you shall glory.

When the poor and needy seek water,
   and there is none,
   and their tongue is parched with thirst,
I the Lord will answer them,
   I the God of Israel will not forsake them.
I will open rivers on the bare heights,
   and fountains in the midst of the valleys;
I will make the wilderness a pool of water,
   and the dry land springs of water.
I will put in the wilderness the cedar,
   the acacia, the myrtle, and the olive;
I will set in the desert the cypress,
   the plane and the pine together,
so that all may see and know,
   all may consider and understand,
that the hand of the Lord has done this,
   the Holy One of Israel has created it.

HYMN
Words: Christian Hymnbook, 1865,
as alt. in The Hymnal 1982.
Tune: This Endris Nyght

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i031.html

"I come," the great Redeemer cries,
"To do thy will, O Lord!"
At Jordan's stream, behold!
He seals the sure prophetic word.

"Thus it becomes to fulfill
all righteousness," he said.
Then, faithful to the Lord's commands,
through Jordan's flood was led.

Hark, a glad voice! The Father speaks
from heaven's exalted height:
"This is my Son, my well-beloved
in whom I take delight."

The Savior Jesus, well-beloved!
His Name we will profess,
like him desirous to fulfill
God's will in righteousness.

No more we'll count ourselves our own
but his in bonds of love.
Oh, may such bonds for ever draw
our souls to things above!.

SECOND READING [Matthew 11.11 15]:

Jesus said, 'Truly I tell you, among those born of women no one has arisen greater
than John the Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From
the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence,
and the violent take it by force. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John
came; and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come. Let anyone with
ears listen!'

As we prepare the way of the Lord,
let us offer prayers to God
who will baptize us with Spirit and fire.

For the coming of Jesus Christ in power and glory.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Wisdom to teach and guide us.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Emmanuel, the hope of all the peoples.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the peace of the world, and for our unity in Christ.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For all bishops, presbyters, deacons and all who minister in Christ,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the church throughout the world
and the faithful in every place, especially
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the leaders of the nations and all in authority.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For justice, peace, and freedom among peoples of the earth.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For travelers, for the sick and the suffering,
for the hungry and the oppressed, and for those in prison.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the dying and those who have died.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Joining our voices with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary
and with all the saints and angels of God,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord, our God.

Merciful God,
who sent your messengers the prophets
to preach repentance and prepare the way for our salvation:
Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins,
that we may greet with joy the coming
of Jesus Christ our Redeemer;

God our redeemer,
who gave light to the world that was in darkness
by the healing power of the Savior's cross:
shed that light on us, we pray,
that with your martyr Lucy
we may, by the purity of our lives,
reflect the light of Christ
and, by the merits of his passion,
come to the light of everlasting life;

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts; and another sentence from
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_,
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The early Roman lists of martyrs commemorate Lucy, virgin and martyr, on 13
December, and her name, with that of Agatha, appears in the Roman Liturgy as
an example of those who have gone before us, in whose company we join in
giving thanks and praise to God. Aside from this, little is known of her, except
that she lived in Syracuse in Sicily, and probably died around 304. Her name,
which means "light," probably accounts for the story that her eyes were put out
and her eyesight miraculously restored, and may be connected with the fact
that her feast occurs near the time when (in the Northern Hemisphere) the
nights are longest. In Sweden and elsewhere, the day is observed by having one
of the daughters of the house dress in a white robe with a crown of lighted
candles and go singing from room to room early in the morning when it is still
dark to awaken the other family members and to offer them St. Lucy's Cakes
and hot coffee. [James Kiefer]