OREMUS: 2 December 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 1 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, December 2, 2007
The First Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, loving God,
ever faithful to your promises
and ever close to your church.
The earth rejoices in hope of the Savior's coming
and looks forward with longing
to his return at the end of time.
You call us to prepare our hearts
and remove that which hinders us
from the joy and hope his presence will bestow.

Bless the Lord, O my soul;*
 O Lord my God, how excellent is your greatness!
   you are clothed with majesty and splendour.
You wrap yourself with light as with a cloak*
 and spread out the heavens like a curtain.
You lay the beams of your chambers
   in the waters above;*
 you make the clouds your chariot;
   you ride on the wings of the wind.
You make the winds your messengers*
 and flames of fire your servants.
You have set the earth upon its foundations,*
 so that it never shall move at any time.
You covered it with the deep as with a mantle;*
 the waters stood higher than the mountains.
At your rebuke they fled;*
 at the voice of your thunder they hastened away.
They went up into the hills
   and down to the valleys beneath,*
 to the places you had appointed for them.
You set the limits that they should not pass;*
 they shall not again cover the earth.
You send the springs into the valleys;*
 they flow between the mountains.
All the beasts of the field drink their fill from them,*
 and the wild asses quench their thirst.
Beside them the birds of the air make their nests*
 and sing among the branches.
You water the mountains from your dwelling on high;*
 the earth is fully satisfied by the fruit of your works.
You make grass grow for flocks and herds*
 and plants to serve us all;
That they may bring forth food from the earth,*
 and wine to gladden our hearts,
Oil to make a cheerful countenance,*
 and bread to strengthen the heart.
The trees of the Lord are full of sap,*
 the cedars of Lebanon which he planted,
In which the birds build their nests,*
 and in whose tops the stork makes his dwelling.
The high hills are a refuge for the mountain goats,*
 and the stony cliffs for the rock badgers.
You appointed the moon to mark the seasons,*
 and the sun knows the time of its setting.
You make darkness that it may be night,*
 in which all the beasts of the forest prowl.
The lions roar after their prey*
 and seek their food from God.
The sun rises and they slip away*
 and lay themselves down in their dens.
The labourer goes forth to work*
 and to toil until the evening.
O Lord, how manifold are your works!*
 in wisdom you have made them all;
   the earth is full of your creatures.
Yonder is the great and wide sea
   with its living things too many to number,*
 creatures both small and great.
There move the ships,
   and there is that Leviathan,*
 which you have made for the sport of it.
All of them look to you*
 to give them their food in due season.
You give it to them, they gather it;*
 you open your hand and they are filled with good things.
You hide your face and they are terrified;*
 you take away their breath
   and they die and return to their dust.
You send forth your Spirit and they are created;*
 and so you renew the face of the earth.
May the glory of the Lord endure for ever;*
 may the Lord rejoice in all his works.
He looks at the earth and it trembles;*
 he touches the mountains and they smoke.
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;*
 I will praise my God while I have my being.
May these words of mine please him;*
 I will rejoice in the Lord.
Let sinners be consumed out of the earth,*
 and the wicked be no more.
Bless the Lord, O my soul.*

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 52:1-12]:

Awake, awake,
   put on your strength, O Zion!
Put on your beautiful garments,
   O Jerusalem, the holy city;
for the uncircumcised and the unclean
   shall enter you no more.
Shake yourself from the dust, rise up,
   O captive Jerusalem;
loose the bonds from your neck,
   O captive daughter Zion!

 For thus says the Lord: You were sold for nothing, and you shall be redeemed
without money. For thus says the Lord God: Long ago, my people went down into
Egypt to reside there as aliens; the Assyrian, too, has oppressed them without cause.
Now therefore, what am I doing here, says the Lord, seeing that my people are taken
away without cause? Their rulers howl, says the Lord, and continually, all day long,
my name is despised. Therefore my people shall know my name; therefore on that day
they shall know that it is I who speak; here am I.

How beautiful upon the mountains
   are the feet of the messenger who announces peace,
who brings good news,
   who announces salvation,
   who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns.'
Listen! Your sentinels lift up their voices,
   together they sing for joy;
for in plain sight they see
   the return of the Lord to Zion.
Break forth together into singing,
   you ruins of Jerusalem;
for the Lord has comforted his people,
   he has redeemed Jerusalem.
The Lord has bared his holy arm
   before the eyes of all the nations;
and all the ends of the earth shall see
   the salvation of our God.

Depart, depart, go out from there!
   Touch no unclean thing;
go out from the midst of it, purify yourselves,
   you who carry the vessels of the Lord.
For you shall not go out in haste,
   and you shall not go in flight;
for the Lord will go before you,
   and the God of Israel will be your rearguard.

HYMN
Words: Fred Kaan (c)
Tune: Alleluia dulce carmen, Westminster Abbey, Picardy

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f212.html

For the healing of the nations,
Lord, we pray with one accord,
for a just and equal sharing
of the things that earth affords.
To a life of love in action
help us rise and pledge our word.

Lead us forward into freedom,
from despair your world release,
that, redeemed from war and hatred,
all may come and go in peace.
Show us how through care and goodness
fear will die and hope increase.

All that kills abundant living,
let it from the earth be banned:
pride of status, race or schooling,
dogmas that obscure your plan.
In our common quest for justice
may we hallow brief life's span.

You, Creator God, have written
your great name on humankind;
for our growing in your likeness
bring the life of Christ to mind;
that by our response and service
earth its destiny may find.

SECOND READING [Matthew 24:15-28]:

Jesus said, 'So when you see the desolating sacrilege standing in the holy place, as was
spoken of by the prophet Daniel (let the reader understand), then those in Judea must
flee to the mountains; someone on the housetop must not go down to take what is in
the house; someone in the field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those who
are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! Pray that your flight
may not be in winter or on a sabbath. For at that time there will be great suffering,
such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.
And if those days had not been cut short, no one would be saved; but for the sake of
the elect those days will be cut short. Then if anyone says to you, "Look! Here is the
Messiah!" or "There he is!" do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets
will appear and produce great signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the
elect. Take note, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you, "Look! He is in
the wilderness", do not go out. If they say, "Look! He is in the inner rooms", do not
believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the west, so
will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will
gather.'

For the Church:
that we may have the eyes of faith to recognize God's invitation
in the signs of our time and to recognize ways
to help others see God's redeeming love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the grace of hope:
that our hearts may be filled with childlike expectancy
as we await the coming of God's reign in our lives.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For strength and peace in the face of suffering:
that God will plant the divine Word of hope deep in our hearts
and give us the strength to remain faithful
even when tragedy and suffering enter our lives.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who live in fear and confusion,
for those living in refugee camps or mighty fortresses,
for those who have suffered abuse
or who live with painful memories of wrongs they have done:
that God's loving embrace will free them from fear
and open a new way of life for them.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all burdened with guilt and scruples:
that they may experience God's redeeming love
and accept the gift of freedom that God's love brings.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all people:
that Christ may increase our love for one another
and help us to be overflowing with generosity.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
your promises stand unshaken through all generations:
Renew us in hope, that we may be awake and alert
watching for the glorious return of Jesus Christ,
our judge and savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

O Son of God, our Savior,
today we await your coming,
and tomorrow we shall see your glory.
Reveal the good news to all of us
who long for your arrival.
Come, Love incarnate, do not delay.
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with
permission.

Hymn (c) 1968 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by the Center for Liturgy at Saint
Louis University.

Westminster / John Knox Press.