OREMUS: 1 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 31 19:43:21 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, September 1, 2007

Blessed are you, Holy God,
you liberate the oppressed
and make a way of salvation.
You call us to unite ourselves with all who cry for justice,
and lead us together into freedom
through our Lord and Liberator,
Jesus Christ.

Your hands have made me and fashioned me;*
 give me understanding,
   that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you will be glad when they see me,*
 because I trust in your word.

I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right*
 and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Let your loving-kindness be my comfort*
 as you have promised to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me, that I may live,*
 for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   for they wrong me with lies;*
 but I will meditate on your commandments.
Let those who fear you turn to me,*
 and also those who know your decrees.
Let my heart be sound in your statutes,*
 that I may not be put to shame.
My soul has longed for your salvation;*
 I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes have failed from watching for your promise,*
 and I say, 'When will you comfort me?'
I have become like a leather flask in the smoke,*
 but I have not forgotten your statutes.
How much longer must I wait?*
 when will you give judgement
   against those who persecute me?
The proud have dug pits for me;*
 they do not keep your law.
All your commandments are true;*
 help me, for they persecute me with lies.
They had almost made an end of me on earth,*
 but I have not forsaken your commandments.
In your loving-kindness, revive me,*
 that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.
O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
 it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
   from one generation to another;*
 you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
 for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
 I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
 because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
 for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
 I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
 but your commandment has no bounds.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 2:1-3, 14-22]:

The word of the Lord came to me, saying: Go and proclaim in the
hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord:
I remember the devotion of your youth,
   your love as a bride,
how you followed me in the wilderness,
   in a land not sown.
Israel was holy to the Lord,
   the first fruits of his harvest.
All who ate of it were held guilty;
   disaster came upon them,
says the Lord.

Is Israel a slave? Is he a home-born servant?
   Why then has he become plunder?
The lions have roared against him,
   they have roared loudly.
They have made his land a waste;
   his cities are in ruins, without inhabitant.
Moreover, the people of Memphis and Tahpanhes
   have broken the crown of your head.
Have you not brought this upon yourself
   by forsaking the Lord your God,
   while he led you in the way?
What then do you gain by going to Egypt,
   to drink the waters of the Nile?
Or what do you gain by going to Assyria,
   to drink the waters of the Euphrates?
Your wickedness will punish you,
   and your apostasies will convict you.
Know and see that it is evil and bitter
   for you to forsake the Lord your God;
   the fear of me is not in you,
says the Lord God of hosts.

For long ago you broke your yoke
   and burst your bonds,
   and you said, 'I will not serve!'
On every high hill
   and under every green tree
   you sprawled and played the whore.
Yet I planted you as a choice vine,
   from the purest stock.
How then did you turn degenerate
   and become a wild vine?
Though you wash yourself with lye
   and use much soap,
   the stain of your guilt is still before me,
says the Lord God.

HYMN
Words: Tom Colvin, Jr. (c)
Tune: Chereponi

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j015.html

Refrain:
Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love,
show us how to serve
the neighbors we have from you.

Kneels at the feet of his friends,
silently washes their feet,
master who acts as a slave to them. Refrain

Neighbors are rich and poor,
varied in color and race,
neighbors are near and far away. Refrain

These are the ones we should serve,
these are the ones we should love;
all these are neighbors to us and you. Refrain

Loving puts us on our knees,
serving as though we are slaves;
this is the way we should live with you. Refrain

Kneel at the feet of our friends,
silently washing their feet;
this is the way we should live with you. Refrain

SECOND READING [Matthew 20:20-28]:

The mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and kneeling before
him, she asked a favour of him. And he said to her, 'What do you want?' She said to
him, 'Declare that these two sons of mine will sit, one at your right hand and one at
your left, in your kingdom.' But Jesus answered, 'You do not know what you are
asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?' They said to him, 'We
are able.' He said to them, 'You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand
and at my left, this is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been
prepared by my Father.'
When the ten heard it, they were angry with the two brothers. But Jesus called them to
him and said, 'You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their
great ones are tyrants over them. It will not be so among you; but whoever wishes to
be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you
must be your slave; just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to
give his life a ransom for many.'

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Grant, O God, that we may live in your fear,
die in your favor, rest in your peace,
rise in your power and reign in your glory;
for the sake of your Son,
our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

May the mind that was in Christ possess us,
the love that is always at the heart of God enlarge us,
and the joy of the Spirit give us kindly eyes and thankful soul.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Words & Melody (c) 1969 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
Arrangement by Jane Manton Marshall
Arrangement (c) 1982 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The closing sentence is by Bruce Prewer.