OREMUS: 30 August 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Aug 29 19:36:51 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, August 30, 2007

Blessed are you, Holy God,
you liberate the oppressed
and make a way of salvation.
You call us to unite ourselves with all who cry for justice,
and lead us together into freedom
through our Lord and Liberator,
Jesus Christ.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42:5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;

Who gives breath to the people upon it,
and spirit to those who walk in it,

'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;

'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind.

'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.

'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 11:1-17]:

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: Hear the
words of this covenant, and speak to the people of Judah
and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. You shall say to them,
Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Cursed be anyone
who does not heed the words of this covenant, which I
commanded your ancestors when I brought them out of the
land of Egypt, from the iron-smelter, saying, Listen to
my voice, and do all that I command you. So shall you be
my people, and I will be your God, that I may perform the
oath that I swore to your ancestors, to give them a land
flowing with milk and honey, as at this day. Then I
answered, 'So be it, Lord.'
And the Lord said to me: Proclaim all these words in the
cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: Hear
the words of this covenant and do them. For I solemnly
warned your ancestors when I brought them up out of the
land of Egypt, warning them persistently, even to this
day, saying, Obey my voice. Yet they did not obey or
incline their ear, but everyone walked in the
stubbornness of an evil will. So I brought upon them all
the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do,
but they did not.
And the Lord said to me: Conspiracy exists among the
people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. They
have turned back to the iniquities of their ancestors of
old, who refused to heed my words; they have gone after
other gods to serve them; the house of Israel and the
house of Judah have broken the covenant that I made with
their ancestors. Therefore, thus says the Lord, assuredly
I am going to bring disaster upon them that they cannot
escape; though they cry out to me, I will not listen to
them. Then the cities of Judah and the inhabitants of
Jerusalem will go and cry out to the gods to whom they
make offerings, but they will never save them in the time
of their trouble. For your gods have become as many as
your towns, O Judah; and as many as the streets of
Jerusalem are the altars to shame that you have set up,
altars to make offerings to Baal.
As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry
or prayer on their behalf, for I will not listen when
they call to me in the time of their trouble. What right
has my beloved in my house, when she has done vile deeds?
Can vows and sacrificial flesh avert your doom? Can you
then exult? The Lord once called you, 'A green olive
tree, fair with goodly fruit'; but with the roar of a
great tempest he will set fire to it, and its branches
will be consumed. The Lord of hosts, who planted you, has
pronounced evil against you, because of the evil that the
house of Israel and the house of Judah have done,
provoking me to anger by making offerings to Baal.

HYMN
Words: verses 1, 4-9: Matthew Bridges (1800-1894), 1852;
verses 2-3: Godfrey Thring (1823-1903), 1874
Tune: Diademata, Corona

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c396.html

Crown him with many crowns,
the Lamb upon his throne.
Hark! How the heavenly anthem drowns
all music but its own.
Awake, my soul, and sing of him
who died for thee,
and hail him as thy matchless King
through all eternity.

Crown him the virgin's Son,
the God incarnate born,
whose arm those crimson trophies won
which now His brow adorn;
fruit of the mystic rose,
as of that rose the stem;
the root whence mercy ever flows,
the Babe of Bethlehem.

Crown him the Son of God,
before the worlds began,
and ye who tread where he hath trod,
crown him the Son of Man;
who every grief hath known
that wrings the human breast,
and takes and bears them for His own,
that all in him may rest.

Crown him the Lord of life,
who triumphed over the grave,
and rose victorious in the strife
for those he came to save.
His glories now we sing,
who died, and rose on high,
who died eternal life to bring,
and lives that death may die.

Crown him the Lord of peace,
whose power a scepter sways
from pole to pole, that wars may cease,
and all be prayer and praise.
his reign shall know no end,
and round his piercŠd feet
fair flowers of paradise extend
their fragrance ever sweet.

Crown him the Lord of love,
behold his hands and side,
those wounds, yet visible above,
in beauty glorified.
No angel in the sky
can fully bear that sight,
but downward bends his burning eye
at mysteries so bright.

Crown him the Lord of Heaven,
enthroned in worlds above,
crown him the King to whom is given
the wondrous name of Love.
Crown him with many crowns,
as thrones before him fall;
Crown him, ye kings, with many crowns,
for he is King of all.

Crown him the Lord of lords,
who over all doth reign,
who once on earth, the incarnate Word,
for ransomed sinners slain,
now lives in realms of light,
where saints with angels sing
their songs before him day and night,
their God, Redeemer, King.

Crown him the Lord of years,
the Potentate of time,
Creator of the rolling spheres,
ineffably sublime.
all hail, Redeemer, hail!
For thou has died for me;
thy praise and glory shall not fail
throughout eternity.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 3:8-12]:

Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love for one another, a tender heart,
and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or abuse for abuse; but, on the contrary,
repay with a blessing. It is for this that you were called that you might inherit a
blessing. For
'Those who desire life
   and desire to see good days,
let them keep their tongues from evil
   and their lips from speaking deceit;
let them turn away from evil and do good;
   let them seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.'

We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
 into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Lord God,
joy marks your presence:
beauty, abundance and peace
are the tokens of your work in all creation.
Work also in our lives,
that by these signs we may see the splendor of your love
and praise you through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. [SEC]

May the mind that was in Christ possess us,
the love that is always at the heart of God enlarge us,
and the joy of the Spirit give us kindly eyes and thankful soul.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The closing sentence is by Bruce Prewer.