OREMUS: 27 August 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Aug 26 17:18:14 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, August 27, 2007

Blessed are you, Holy God,
you liberate the oppressed
and make a way of salvation.
You call us to unite ourselves with all who cry for justice,
and lead us together into freedom
through our Lord and Liberator,
Jesus Christ.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
   for I have taken refuge in you;*
 in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
   until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
 the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
   he will confound those who trample upon me;*
 God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
 their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
 they have dug a pit before me
   but have fallen into it themselves.
 and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 7:1-15]:

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: Stand in
the gate of the Lord's house, and proclaim there this
word, and say, Hear the word of the Lord, all you people
of Judah, you that enter these gates to worship the Lord.
Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Amend
your ways and your doings, and let me dwell with you in
this place. Do not trust in these deceptive words: 'This
is the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the
temple of the Lord.'
For if you truly amend your ways and your doings, if you
truly act justly one with another, if you do not oppress
the alien, the orphan, and the widow, or shed innocent
blood in this place, and if you do not go after other
gods to your own hurt, then I will dwell with you in this
place, in the land that I gave of old to your ancestors
for ever and ever.
Here you are, trusting in deceptive words to no avail.
Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely,
make offerings to Baal, and go after other gods that you
have not known, and then come and stand before me in this
house, which is called by my name, and say, 'We are
safe!' only to go on doing all these abominations? Has
this house, which is called by my name, become a den of
robbers in your sight? You know, I too am watching, says
the Lord. Go now to my place that was in Shiloh, where I
made my name dwell at first, and see what I did to it for
the wickedness of my people Israel. And now, because you
have done all these things, says the Lord, and when I
spoke to you persistently, you did not listen, and when I
called you, you did not answer, therefore I will do to
the house that is called by my name, in which you trust,
and to the place that I gave to you and to your
ancestors, just what I did to Shiloh. And I will cast you
out of my sight, just as I cast out all your kinsfolk,
all the offspring of Ephraim.

HYMN
Words:  James Russell Lowell, 1849
Tune: Ton-y-Botel (Ebenezer)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o786.html

Once to every man and nation,
comes the moment to decide,
in the strife of truth with falsehood,
for the good or evil side;
some great cause, some great decision,
offering each the bloom or blight,
and the choice goes by forever,
'twixt that darkness and that light.

Then to side with truth is noble,
when we share her wretched crust,
ere her cause bring fame and profit,
and 'tis prosperous to be just;
then it is the brave man chooses
while the coward stands aside,
till the multitude make virtue
of the faith they had denied.

By the light of burning martyrs,
Christ, thy bleeding feet we track,
toiling up new Calvaries ever
with the cross that turns not back;
new occasions teach new duties,
ancient values test our youth;
they must upward still and onward,
who would keep abreast of truth.

Though the cause of evil prosper,
yet the truth alone is strong;
though her portion be the scaffold,
and upon the throne be wrong;
yet that scaffold sways the future,
and behind the dim unknown,
standeth God within the shadow,
keeping watch above his own.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 3:7-4:11]:

 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says,
'Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
   as on the day of testing in the wilderness,
where your ancestors put me to the test,
   though they had seen my works for forty years.
Therefore I was angry with that generation,
and I said, "They always go astray in their hearts,
   and they have not known my ways."
As in my anger I swore,
   "They will not enter my rest." '
Take care, brothers and sisters, that none of you may have an evil, unbelieving heart
that turns away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is
called 'today', so that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we
have become partners of Christ, if only we hold our first confidence firm to the end.
As it is said,
'Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.'
Now who were they who heard and yet were rebellious? Was it not all those who left
Egypt under the leadership of Moses? But with whom was he angry for forty years?
Was it not those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness? And to whom did he
swear that they would not enter his rest, if not to those who were disobedient? So we
see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief.

Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest is still open, let us take care that none
of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For indeed the good news came to us
just as to them; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were
not united by faith with those who listened. For we who have believed enter that rest,
just as God has said,
'As in my anger I swore,
"They shall not enter my rest" ',
though his works were finished at the foundation of the world. For in one place it
speaks about the seventh day as follows: 'And God rested on the seventh day from all
his works.' And again in this place it says, 'They shall not enter my rest.' Since
therefore it remains open for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the
good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again he sets a certain
day 'today' saying through David much later, in the words already quoted,
'Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.'
For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not speak later about another day. So
then, a sabbath rest still remains for the people of God; for those who enter God's rest
also cease from their labours as God did from his. Let us therefore make every effort
to enter that rest, so that no one may fall through such disobedience as theirs.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

Tender God,
gentle protector in time of trouble:
pierce the gloom of despair
and give us, with all your people,
the song of freedom and the shout of praise,
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the mind that was in Christ possess us,
the love that is always at the heart of God enlarge us,
and the joy of the Spirit give us kindly eyes and thankful soul.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The closing sentence is by Bruce Prewer.