OREMUS: 25 August 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 24 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, August 25, 2007

Blessed are you, Lord and giver of life,
you alone nourish and sustain your people,
through Christ, the bread of life.
You feed our hunger and quench our thirst,
that we may no longer walk for what fails to satisfy,
but do what you require, in obedience and faith.

Remember your word to your servant,*
 because you have given me hope.
This is my comfort in my trouble,*
 that your promise gives me life.
The proud have derided me cruelly,*
 but I have not turned from your law.
When I remember your judgements of old,*
 O Lord, I take great comfort.
I am filled with a burning rage,*
 because of the wicked who forsake your law.
Your statutes have been like songs to me*
 wherever I have lived as a stranger.
I remember your name in the night, O Lord,*
 and dwell upon your law.
This is how it has been with me,*
 because I have kept your commandments.
You only are my portion, O Lord;*
 I have promised to keep your words.
I entreat you with all my heart,*
 be merciful to me according to your promise.

I have considered my ways*
 and turned my feet towards your decrees.
I hasten and do not tarry*
 to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked entangle me,*
 I do not forget your law.
At midnight I will rise to give you thanks,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
I am a companion of all who fear you*
 and of those who keep your commandments.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your love;*
 instruct me in your statutes.

O Lord, you have dealt graciously with your servant,*
 according to your word.
Teach me discernment and knowledge,*
 for I have believed in your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,*
 but now I keep your word.
You are good and you bring forth good;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
The proud have smeared me with lies,*
 but I will keep your commandments
   with my whole heart.
Their heart is gross and fat,*
 but my delight is in your law.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,*
 that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is dearer to me*
 than thousands in gold and silver.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 1:1-3, 11-19]:

The words of Jeremiah son of Hilkiah, of the priests who
were in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin, to whom the
word of the Lord came in the days of King Josiah son of
Amon of Judah, in the thirteenth year of his reign. It
came also in the days of King Jehoiakim son of Josiah of
Judah, and until the end of the eleventh year of King
Zedekiah son of Josiah of Judah, until the captivity of
Jerusalem in the fifth month.

 The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Jeremiah, what
do you see?' And I said, 'I see a branch of an almond
tree.' Then the Lord said to me, 'You have seen well, for
I am watching over my word to perform it.' The word of
the Lord came to me a second time, saying, 'What do you
see?' And I said, 'I see a boiling pot, tilted away from
the north.'
Then the Lord said to me: Out of the north disaster shall
break out on all the inhabitants of the land. For now I
am calling all the tribes of the kingdoms of the north,
says the Lord; and they shall come and all of them shall
set their thrones at the entrance of the gates of
Jerusalem, against all its surrounding walls and against
all the cities of Judah. And I will utter my judgements
against them, for all their wickedness in forsaking me;
they have made offerings to other gods, and worshipped
the works of their own hands. But you, gird up your
loins; stand up and tell them everything that I command
you. Do not break down before them, or I will break you
before them. And I for my part have made you today a
fortified city, an iron pillar, and a bronze wall,
against the whole land against the kings of Judah, its
princes, its priests, and the people of the land. They
will fight against you; but they shall not prevail
against you, for I am with you, says the Lord, to deliver
you.

HYMN
Words: Sydney Carter (c)
Tune: Lord of the Dance

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i037.html

I danced in the morning
when the world was begun,
and I danced in the moon
and the stars and the sun,
and I came down from heaven
and I danced on the earth,
at Bethlehem
I had my birth.
Refrain:
Dance, then, wherever you may be,
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he,
and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.

I danced for the scribe
and the pharisee,
but they would not dance
and they wouldn't follow me.
I danced for the fishermen,
for James and John -
they came with me
and the dance went on. Refrain

I danced on the Sabbath
and I cured the lame;
the holy people
said it was a shame.
they whipped and they stripped
and they hung me on high,
and they left me there
on a Cross to die. Refrain

I danced on a Friday
when the sky turned black;
it's hard to dance
with the devil on your back.
They buried my body
and they thought I'd gone,
but I am the Dance,
and I still go on. Refrain

They cut me down
and I leapt up high;
I am the life
that'll never, never die;
I'll live in you
if you'll live in me -
I am the Lord
of the Dance, said he. Refrain

SECOND READING [Luke 6:1-5]:

One sabbath while Jesus was going through the cornfields, his disciples plucked some
heads of grain, rubbed them in their hands, and ate them. But some of the Pharisees
said, 'Why are you doing what is not lawful on the sabbath?' Jesus answered, 'Have
you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? He entered
the house of God and took and ate the bread of the Presence, which it is not lawful for
any but the priests to eat, and gave some to his companions?' Then he said to them,
'The Son of Man is lord of the sabbath.'

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me.

To God the Father,
who first loved us, and made us accepted in the beloved Son;
to God the Son,
who loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood;
to God the Holy Spirit,
who sheds abroad the love of God in our hearts;
to the one true God
be all love and all glory for time and eternity. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer in _Opening Prayers:

Hymn (c) 1963 by Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The closing sentence is by Thomas Ken.