OREMUS: 19 August 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 18 20:50:25 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, August 19, 2007
The Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Lord and giver of life,
you alone nourish and sustain your people,
through Christ, the bread of life.
You feed our hunger and quench our thirst,
that we may no longer walk for what fails to satisfy,
but do what you require, in obedience and faith.

God takes his stand in the council of heaven;*
 he gives judgement in the midst of the gods:
'How long will you judge unjustly,*
 and show favour to the wicked?
'Save the weak and the orphan;*
 defend the humble and needy;
'Rescue the weak and the poor;*
 deliver them from the power of the wicked.
'They do not know, neither do they understand;
   they go about in darkness;*
 all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
'Now I say to you, "You are gods,*
 and all of you children of the Most High;
'"Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,*
 and fall like any prince."'
Arise, O God, and rule the earth,*
 for you shall take all nations for your own.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 28:9-22]:

'Whom will he teach knowledge,
   and to whom will he explain the message?
Those who are weaned from milk,
   those taken from the breast?
For it is precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
   line upon line, line upon line,
   here a little, there a little.'

Truly, with stammering lip
   and with alien tongue
he will speak to this people,
   to whom he has said,
'This is rest;
   give rest to the weary;
and this is repose';
   yet they would not hear.
Therefore the word of the Lord will be to them,
   'Precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
   line upon line, line upon line,
   here a little, there a little';
in order that they may go, and fall backwards,
   and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Therefore hear the word of the Lord, you scoffers
   who rule this people in Jerusalem.
Because you have said, 'We have made a covenant with death,
   and with Sheol we have an agreement;
when the overwhelming scourge passes through
   it will not come to us;
for we have made lies our refuge,
   and in falsehood we have taken shelter';
therefore thus says the Lord God,
See, I am laying in Zion a foundation stone,
   a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation:
   'One who trusts will not panic.'
And I will make justice the line,
   and righteousness the plummet;
hail will sweep away the refuge of lies,
   and waters will overwhelm the shelter.
Then your covenant with death will be annulled,
   and your agreement with Sheol will not stand;
when the overwhelming scourge passes through
   you will be beaten down by it.
As often as it passes through, it will take you;
   for morning by morning it will pass through,
   by day and by night;
and it will be sheer terror to understand the message.
For the bed is too short to stretch oneself on it,
   and the covering too narrow to wrap oneself in it.
For the Lord will rise up as on Mount Perazim,
   he will rage as in the valley of Gibeon
to do his deed strange is his deed!
   and to work his work alien is his work!
Now therefore do not scoff,
   or your bonds will be made stronger;
for I have heard a decree of destruction
   from the Lord God of hosts upon the whole land.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley
Tune: Hyfrydol, Love Divine, Blaenwern

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l531.html

Love divine, all loves excelling,
joy of heaven, to earth come down,
fix in us thy humble dwelling,
all thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, thou art all compassion,
pure, unbounded love thou art;
visit us with thy salvation,
enter every trembling heart.

Come, almighty to deliver,
let us all thy life receive;
suddenly return, and never,
nevermore thy temples leave.
Thee we would be always blessing,
serve thee as thy hosts above,
pray, and praise thee without ceasing,
glory in thy perfect love.

Finish then thy new creation;
pure and spotless let us be;
let us see thy great salvation
perfectly restored in thee:
changed from glory into glory,
till in heaven we take our place,
till we cast our crowns before thee,
lost in wonder, love, and praise.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 8:1-9]:

We want you to know, brothers and sisters, about the grace of God that has been
granted to the churches of Macedonia; for during a severe ordeal of affliction, their
abundant joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on
their part. For, as I can testify, they voluntarily gave according to their means, and
even beyond their means, begging us earnestly for the privilege of sharing in this
ministry to the saints  and this, not merely as we expected; they gave themselves first
to the Lord and, by the will of God, to us, so that we might urge Titus that, as he had
already made a beginning, so he should also complete this generous undertaking
among you. Now as you excel in everything in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in
utmost eagerness, and in our love for you so we want you to excel also in this
generous undertaking.
 I do not say this as a command, but I am testing the genuineness of your love against
the earnestness of others. For you know the generous act of our Lord Jesus Christ,
that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty you
might become rich.

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have broken the tyranny of sin
and sent into our hearts the Spirit of your Son:
Give us grace to dedicate our freedom to your service,
that all people may know the glorious liberty of the children of God;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

To God the Father,
who first loved us, and made us accepted in the beloved Son;
to God the Son,
who loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood;
to God the Holy Spirit,
who sheds abroad the love of God in our hearts;
to the one true God
be all love and all glory for time and eternity. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer in _Opening Prayers:

The closing sentence is by Thomas Ken.