OREMUS: 18 August 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 17 18:44:53 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, August 18, 2007
William Porcher DuBose, Priest, 1918

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

My soul cleaves to the dust;*
 give me life according to your word.
I have confessed my ways and you answered me;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your commandments,*
 that I may meditate on your marvellous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;*
 strengthen me according to your word.
Take from me the way of lying;*
 let me find grace through your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;*
 I have set your judgements before me.
I hold fast to your decrees;*
 O Lord, let me not be put to shame.
I will run the way of your commandments,*
 for you have set my heart at liberty.
Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,*
 and I shall keep it to the end.
Give me understanding and I shall keep your law;*
 I shall keep it with all my heart.
Make me go in the path of your commandments,*
 for that is my desire.
Incline my heart to your decrees*
 and not to unjust gain.
Turn my eyes from watching what is worthless;*
 give me life in your ways.
Fulfil your promise to your servant,*
 which you make to those who fear you.
Turn away the reproach which I dread,*
 because your judgements are good.
Behold, I long for your commandments;*
 in your righteousness preserve my life.
Let your loving-kindness come to me, O Lord,*
 and your salvation, according to your promise.
Then shall I have a word for those who taunt me,*
 because I trust in your words.
Do not take the word of truth out of my mouth,*
 for my hope is in your judgements.
I shall continue to keep your law;*
 I shall keep it for ever and ever.
I will walk at liberty,*
 because I study your commandments.
I will tell of your decrees before kings*
 and will not be ashamed.
I delight in your commandments,*
 which I have always loved.
I will lift up my hands to your commandments,*
 and I will meditate on your statutes.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING []:

On that day the Lord will take away the finery of the
anklets, the headbands, and the crescents; the pendants,
the bracelets, and the scarves; the head-dresses, the
armlets, the sashes, the perfume boxes, and the amulets;
the signet rings and nose-rings; the festal robes, the
mantles, the cloaks, and the handbags; the garments of
gauze, the linen garments, the turbans, and the
veils.
Instead of perfume there will be a stench;
   and instead of a sash, a rope;
and instead of well-arranged hair, baldness;
   and instead of a rich robe, a binding of
sackcloth;
   instead of beauty, shame.
Your men shall fall by the sword
   and your warriors in battle.
And her gates shall lament and mourn;
   ravaged, she shall sit upon the ground.

Seven women shall take hold of one man on that day,
saying,
'We will eat our own bread and wear our own clothes;
just let us be called by your name;
   take away our disgrace.'

 On that day the branch of the Lord shall be beautiful
and glorious, and the fruit of the land shall be the
pride and glory of the survivors of Israel. Whoever is
left in Zion and remains in Jerusalem will be called
holy, everyone who has been recorded for life in
Jerusalem, once the Lord has washed away the filth of the
daughters of Zion and cleansed the bloodstains of
Jerusalem from its midst by a spirit of judgement and by
a spirit of burning. Then the Lord will create over the
whole site of Mount Zion and over its places of assembly
a cloud by day and smoke and the shining of a flaming
fire by night. Indeed, over all the glory there will be a
canopy. It will serve as a pavilion, a shade by day from
the heat, and a refuge and a shelter from the storm and
rain.

HYMN
Words: John Cennick (1718-1755), 1752;
as altered by Charles Wesley (1707-1788), 1758;
and then altered by Martin Madan (1726-1790), 1760
Tune: Helmsley

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l187.html

Lo! he comes, with clouds descending,
once for our salvation slain;
thousand thousand saints attending
swell the triumph of his train:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
Christ the Lord returns to reign.

Every eye shall now behold him,
robed in dreadful majesty;
those who set at nought and sold him,
pierced, and nailed him to the tree,
deeply wailing, deeply wailing, deeply wailing,
shall the true Messiah see.

Those dear tokens of his passion
still his dazzling body bears,
cause of endless exultation
to his ransomed worshipers;
with what rapture, with what rapture, with what rapture
gaze we on those glorious scars!

Now redemption, long expected,
see in solemn pomp appear;
all his saints, by man rejected,
now shall meet him in the air:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
See the day of God appear!

Yea, amen! let all adore thee,
high on thine eternal throne;
Savior, take the power and glory;
claim the kingdom for thine own:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
Thou shalt reign, and thou alone.

SECOND READING [Matthew 24:15-27]:

Jesus said,  'So when you see the desolating sacrilege standing in the holy place, as
was spoken of by the prophet Daniel (let the reader understand), then those in Judea
must flee to the mountains; someone on the housetop must not go down to take what
is in the house; someone in the field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those
who are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! Pray that your
flight may not be in winter or on a sabbath. For at that time there will be great
suffering, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and
never will be. And if those days had not been cut short, no one would be saved; but for
the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. Then if anyone says to you, "Look!
Here is the Messiah!" or "There he is!" do not believe it. For false messiahs and false
prophets will appear and produce great signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible,
even the elect. Take note, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you, "Look!
He is in the wilderness", do not go out. If they say, "Look! He is in the inner rooms",
do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the
west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.'

Loving God, in Jesus Christ you teach us to pray:

Guide us by your Holy Spirit
that our prayers for others may serve your will
and show your steadfast love for all.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have called together a people
to be the Church of Jesus Christ,
founded on the apostles.
May your people be one in faith and discipleship,
breaking bread together and telling good news.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

May the world come to believe that you are love,
turn to your ways and live in the light of your truth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

You made all things and called them good.
May your planet earth be held in reverence by all people,
that its resources may be used wisely
and its fragile balance between life and death respected.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers for those who rule the nations,
that they may learn wisdom and truth,
establish justice and mercy
and seek the ways of peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

God, good beyond all that is good,
fair beyond all that is fair,
in you is calmness, peace and concord.
Heal our divisions,
draw us into your divine nature,
and through the embrace of your love
make us one in Spirit. Amen.

Almighty God,
you gave to your servant William Porcher DuBose
special gifts of grace to understand the Scriptures
and to teach the truth as it is in Christ Jesus:
Grant that by this teaching we may know you,
the one true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent;

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

The closing prayer use sentences from  prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is derived from Compline in the Orthodox tradition.

William Porcher DuBose is a serious candidate for the title of "greatest
theologian that the Episcopal Church in the USA has produced." He was born
in South Carolina in 1836, and attended the Military College of South Carolina
(now the Citadel) in Charleston (32:48 N 79:58 W), and the University of
Virginia in Charlottesville (38:02 N 78:29 W). He served as a chaplain in the
Confederate Army, and after the War of 1861-1865 served as a parish priest.
In 1871 he became a professor at the University of the South (an Episcopal
institution) in Sewanee, Tennessee, became Dean of the School of Theology in
1894, retired in 1908, and died in 1918.
He was fluent in Greek, and well-read both in Greek philosophy and in the
early Christian fathers. Among his numerous books, the best known are The
Soteriology of The New Testament, The Gospel in The Gospels, and The
Reason of Life. (Soter is the Greek word for "Savior", and soteriology is the
branch of theology that deals with such questions as, "What does it mean to
say that Christ saves us?" "How does his death and resurrection do us any
good?" "How are the benefits of Christ's work applied to the individual?" and
so on.) A quote from one of his articles follows:
"God has placed forever before our eyes, not the image but the very Person of
the Spiritual Man. We have not to ascend into Heaven to bring Him down, nor
to descend into the abyss to bring Him up, for He is with us, and near us, and
in us. We have only to confess with our mouths that He is Lord, and believe in
our hearts that God has raised Him from the dead--and raised us in Him-- and
we shall live." [James Kiefer]