OREMUS: 13 August 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Mon Aug 13 16:03:23 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, August 13, 2007
Jeremy Taylor, Bishop of Down and Connor, Teacher of the Faith, 1667

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
  do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
  heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
  how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
  save me for your mercy’s sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
  and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
  every night I drench my bed
    and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
  and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
  for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
  the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
  they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 26
Give judgement for me, O Lord,
    for I have lived with integrity;*
  I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
  examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
  I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
  nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
  I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
  that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
  and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
  and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
  nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
  and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
  redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
  in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

Praise him with the blast of the ram’s-horn;*
  praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 2:1-4]:

The word that Isaiah son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
In days to come
the mountain of the Lord's house
shall be established as the highest of the mountains,
and shall be raised above the hills;
all the nations shall stream to it.
Many peoples shall come and say,
'Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
to the house of the God of Jacob;
that he may teach us his ways
and that we may walk in his paths.'
For out of Zion shall go forth instruction,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
He shall judge between the nations,
and shall arbitrate for many peoples;
they shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
and their spears into pruning-hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1709
Tune: Song 67

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g022.html

Give me the wings of faith to rise
within the veil, and see
the saints above, how great their joys,
how bright their glories be.

Once they were mourning here below,
and wet their couch with tears:
they wrestled hard, as we do now,
with sins, and doubts, and fears.

I ask them whence their victory came:
they, with united breath,
ascribe their conquest to the Lamb,
their triumph to his death.

They marked the footsteps that he trod,
his zeal inspired their breast;
and following their incarnate God,
possess the promised rest.

Our glorious Leader claims our praise
for his own pattern given;
while the long cloud of witnesses
show the same path to heaven.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 11:1-7]:

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things
not seen. Indeed, by faith our ancestors received approval. By faith we
understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what
is seen was made from things that are not visible.

By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain's.
Through this he received approval as righteous, God himself giving approval
to his gifts; he died, but through his faith he still speaks. By faith
Enoch was taken so that he did not experience death; and 'he was not found,
because God had taken him.' For it was attested before he was taken away
that 'he had pleased God.' And without faith it is impossible to please
God, for whoever would approach him must believe that he exists and that he
rewards those who seek him. By faith Noah, warned by God about events as
yet unseen, respected the warning and built an ark to save his household;
by this he condemned the world and became an heir to the righteousness that
is in accordance with faith.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Let no riches make me ever forget myself,
no poverty ever make me to forget thee:
let no hope or fear, no pleasure or pain,
no accident without, no weakness within,
hinder or discompose my duty, or turn me
from the ways of thy commandments.
O, let thy Spirit dwell with me for ever,
and make my soul just and charitable,
full of honesty, full of religion,
resolute and constant in holy purposes,
but inflexible to evil.
Make me humble and obedient, peaceable and pious;
let me never envy any man's goods,
nor deserve to be despised myself:
and if I be, teach me to bear it with meekness and charity. Amen.

Holy and loving God,
you dwell in the human heart
and make us partakers of the divine nature
in Christ our great high priest:
help us who remember your servant Jeremy Taylor
to put our trust in your heavenly promises
and follow a holy life in virtue and true godliness;

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The closing prayer use sentences from prayers in Opening Prayers: Collects
in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is derived from Compline in the Orthodox
tradition.

The first collect is by Jeremy Taylor.

The second collect is from Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England, material from which is included in this service is
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Jeremy Taylor was born at Cambridge in 1613 and ordained in 1633. In the
years between 1633 and the ascendency of the Puritans in 1645, he was a
Fellow of two Cambridge colleges, and chaplain to Archbishop Laud and to
King Charles. Under Puritan rule, he was imprisoned three times, and forced
into retirement as a family chaplain in Wales. After the Restoration, in
1661, he became Bishop of Down and Connor in Ireland. Among his many books
on theological, moral, and devotional subjects, the best known are The Rule
and Exercises of Holy Living (1650) and The Rule and Exercises of Holy
Dying (1651), usually cited simply as Holy Living and Holy Dying. Many
readers, including Charles Wesley a century later, have reported finding
these books of great spiritual benefit. Another work of his, Liberty of
Prophesying, argues for freedom of conscience and freedom of speech in a
religious context. Being stationed in an area that was largely Roman
Catholic, he was, perhaps inevitably, drawn into controversy, and he wrote
a book called Dissuasion (or Dissuasive) Against Popery. [James Kiefer]