OREMUS: 9 August 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Aug 8 20:19:04 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, August 9, 2007
Mary Sumner, Founder of the Mothers' Union, 1921

Blessing and honor to God the Father, who is our hope.
Blessing and honor to God the Son, who is our refuge.
Blessing and honor to God the Holy Spirit, who is our protection,
Blessing and honor to the Holy Trinity, glorious now and for ever.

Happy are they whose transgressions are forgiven,*
 and whose sin is put away!
Happy are they to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,*
 and in whose spirit there is no guile!
While I held my tongue, my bones withered away,*
 because of my groaning all day long.
For your hand was heavy upon me day and night;*
 my moisture was dried up as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,*
 and did not conceal my guilt.
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord';*
 then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.
Therefore all the faithful will make their prayers to you
   in time of trouble;*
 when the great waters overflow, they shall not reach them.
You are my hiding-place;
   you preserve me from trouble;*
 you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
'I will instruct you and teach you
   in the way that you should go;*
 I will guide you with my eye.
'Do not be like horse or mule,
   which have no understanding;*
 who must be fitted with bit and bridle,
   or else they will not stay near you.'
Great are the tribulations of the wicked;*
 but mercy embraces those who trust in the Lord.
Be glad, you righteous, and rejoice in the Lord;*
 shout for joy, all who are true of heart.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
   and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
   and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
   like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
   I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
   or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
   for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
   for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 9:8-17]:

The Lord sent a word against Jacob,
   and it fell on Israel;
and all the people knew it
   Ephraim and the inhabitants of Samaria
   but in pride and arrogance of heart they said:
'The bricks have fallen,
   but we will build with dressed stones;
the sycomores have been cut down,
   but we will put cedars in their place.'
So the Lord raised adversaries against them,
   and stirred up their enemies,
the Arameans in the east and the Philistines in the west,
   and they devoured Israel with open mouth.
For all this, his anger has not turned away;
   his hand is stretched out still.

The people did not turn to him who struck them,
   or seek the Lord of hosts.
So the Lord cut off from Israel head and tail,
   palm branch and reed in one day
elders and dignitaries are the head,
   and prophets who teach lies are the tail;
for those who led this people led them astray,
   and those who were led by them were left in confusion.
That is why the Lord did not have pity on their young people,
   or compassion on their orphans and widows;
for everyone was godless and an evildoer,
   and every mouth spoke folly.
For all this, his anger has not turned away;
   his hand is stretched out still.

HYMN
Words: John Henry Newman (1801-1890), 1866
Tune: Gerontius, Chorus Angelorum, Richmond

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p101.html

Praise to the Holiest in the height,
and in the depth be praise;
in all his words most wonderful,
most sure in all his ways!

O loving wisdom of our God!
When all was sin and shame,
a second Adam to the fight
and to the rescue came.

O wisest love! that flesh and blood,
which did in Adam fail,
should strive afresh against the foe,
should strive, and should prevail;

and that the highest gift of grace
should flesh and blood refine:
God's presence and his very self,
and essence all-divine.

O generous love! that he who smote
in man for ma the foe,
the double agony in Man
for man should undergo.

And in the garden secretly,
and on the cross on high,
should teach his brethren, and inspire
to suffer and to die.

Praise to the Holiest in the height,
and in the depth be praise;
in all his words most wonderful,
most sure in all his ways!

SECOND READING [Romans 9:1-9]:

I am speaking the truth in Christ I am not lying; my conscience confirms it by the
Holy Spirit  I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish
that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my own people, my
kindred according to the flesh. They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption,
the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them
belong the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, comes the Messiah, who
is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
 It is not as though the word of God had failed. For not all Israelites truly belong to
Israel, and not all of Abraham's children are his true descendants; but 'It is through
Isaac that descendants shall be named after you.' This means that it is not the children
of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted
as descendants. For this is what the promise said, 'About this time I will return and
Sarah shall have a son.'

Lord of our lives,
we have decided to follow Jesus
and have chosen to be in your Kingdom.
Give us courage, discernment and an unwavering faith.

We pray for your Church throughout the world,
Shed forth your spirit of discipleship upon us.

When we are uncertain,
reveal a vision.

When we are passive,
light a fire.

When we are tempted,
send your Spirit.

Enfold us in your love,
wrap us about with assurance
and infuse us with determination,
that we may be true disciples
and all the world may see the love of Jesus Christ in us. Amen.

Faithful and loving God,
who called Mary Sumner to strive
for the renewal of family life:
give us the gift of your Holy Spirit,
that through word, prayer and deed
your family may be strengthened and your people saved;

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

The closing prayer use sentences from  prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is derived from Compline in the Orthodox tradition.

Mary Elizabeth Sumner (n e Heywood) was born in 1828 at Swinton. In 1848,
she married a young curate, George Henry Sumner, nephew of Archbishop
Sumner, who was himself to become Bishop of Guildford in 1888. A mother of
three children, Mary called a meeting in 1876 at which the Mothers' Union was
founded, providing a forum in which to unite mothers of all classes in the aim
of bringing up children in the Christian faith. Baptism and parental example
were its two basic principles. At first a parochial organisation, it grew steadily
into an international concern, encouraging the ideal of a Christian home. Mary
died on this day in 1921. [Exciting Holiness]