OREMUS: 7 August 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 6 20:44:14 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 7, 2007
John Mason Neale, Priest, Hymn Writer, 1866

Blessing and honor to God the Father, who is our hope.
Blessing and honor to God the Son, who is our refuge.
Blessing and honor to God the Holy Spirit, who is our protection,
Blessing and honor to the Holy Trinity, glorious now and for ever.

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

FIRST READING [Hosea 13:1-16]:

When Ephraim spoke, there was trembling;
   he was exalted in Israel;
   but he incurred guilt through Baal and died.
And now they keep on sinning
   and make a cast image for themselves,
idols of silver made according to their understanding,
   all of them the work of artisans.
'Sacrifice to these', they say.
   People are kissing calves!
Therefore they shall be like the morning mist
   or like the dew that goes away early,
like chaff that swirls from the threshing-floor
   or like smoke from a window.

Yet I have been the Lord your God
   ever since the land of Egypt;
you know no God but me,
   and besides me there is no saviour.
It was I who fed you in the wilderness,
   in the land of drought.
When I fed them, they were satisfied;
   they were satisfied, and their heart was proud;
   therefore they forgot me.
So I will become like a lion to them,
   like a leopard I will lurk beside the way.
I will fall upon them like a bear robbed of her cubs,
   and will tear open the covering of their heart;
there I will devour them like a lion,
   as a wild animal would mangle them.

I will destroy you, O Israel;
   who can help you?
Where now is your king, that he may save you?
   Where in all your cities are your rulers,
of whom you said,
   'Give me a king and rulers'?
I gave you a king in my anger,
   and I took him away in my wrath.

Ephraim's iniquity is bound up;
   his sin is kept in store.
The pangs of childbirth come for him,
   but he is an unwise son;
for at the proper time he does not present himself
   at the mouth of the womb.

Shall I ransom them from the power of Sheol?
   Shall I redeem them from Death?
O Death, where are your plagues?
   O Sheol, where is your destruction?
   Compassion is hidden from my eyes.

Although he may flourish among rushes,
   the east wind shall come, a blast from the Lord,
   rising from the wilderness;
and his fountain shall dry up,
   his spring shall be parched.
It shall strip his treasury
   of every precious thing.
Samaria shall bear her guilt,
   because she has rebelled against her God;
they shall fall by the sword,
   their little ones shall be dashed in pieces,
   and their pregnant women ripped open.

HYMN
Words: John Mason Neale, 1862
Tune: Stephanos, Cuttle Mills, Bullinger
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a312.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/
a312.html

Art thou weary, art thou languid,
art thou sore distressed?
"Come to Me," saith One, "and coming,
be at rest. "

Hath he marks to lead me to him,
if he be my guide?
In his feet and hands are wound prints
and his side.

Is there diadem, as monarch,
that his brow adorns?
Yes, a crown in very surety,
but of thorns.

If I find him, if I follow,
what his guerdon here?
Many a sorrow, many a labor,
many a tear.

If I still hold closely to him,
what hath he at last?
Sorrow vanquished, labor ended,
Jordan passed.

If I ask him to receive me,
will he say me nay?
Not till earth and not till heaven
pass away.

Finding, following, keeping, struggling,
is He sure to bless?
Saints, apostles, prophets, martyrs,
answer, yes!

SECOND READING [Colossians 4:2-6]:

Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving. At the same time
pray for us as well that God will open to us a door for the word, that we may declare
the mystery of Christ, for which I am in prison, so that I may reveal it clearly, as I
should.
Conduct yourselves wisely towards outsiders, making the most of the time. Let your
speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought
to answer everyone.

Aware of God's gracious love for all creation,
let us pray for Christ's Church, the world and all who stand in need.

For the Church throughout the world,
that we  may proclaim the Good News
and bring reconciliation and healing to this planet.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all Christians,
that they may know the power of the living Christ
and serve in faithful discipleship
filled with grace and love and peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For our country,
that its leaders may govern wisely and with compassion;
that its people may act responsibly toward one another
with fairness and for the common good.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all nations,
that all peoples shall know peace with justice,
that together they may recognize their common interdependence
in sharing the resources of earth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the ties that bind us together,
that family members may respect one another with tender care,
that children are reared with a trust in the goodness of life,
that relations between friend and friend be open in loving honesty.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For those who are in trouble or in danger,
that regardless of circumstance
they may find hope and release
and know that they are not alone, but abide in you.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the spread of God's good news to all the world,
that people shall increasingly seek to know God
and find their rest in him who came to save us,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Fill us, O Lord, with the fullness of your presence;
strengthen our faith with your might;
and warm our hearts with the flame of your love;
for Jesus' sake. Amen.

Almighty God,
beautiful in majesty, majestic in holiness,
you have shown us the splendor of creation
in the work of your servant John Mason Neale:
Teach us to drive from the world
the ugliness of chaos and disorder
that our eyes may not be blind to your glory,
and that at length everyone may know
the inexhaustible richness of your new creation
in Jesus Christ our Lord;

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

The closing prayer use sentences from  prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is derived from Compline in the Orthodox tradition.

The first collect is by Martin Luther.

John Mason Neale was born in London in 1818, studied at Cambridge, and was ordained
to the priesthood in 1842. He was offered a parish, but chronic ill health, which was to
continue throughout his life, prevented him from taking it. In 1846 he was made warden of
Sackville College, a position he held for the rest of his life. Sackville College was not an
educational institution, but an almshouse, a charitable residence for the poor.
In 1854 Neale co-founded the Sisterhood of St. Margaret, an order of women in the
Anglican Church dedicated to nursing the sick. Many Anglicans in his day, however, were
very suspicious of anything suggestive of Roman Catholicism. Only nine years earlier,
John H. Newman had encouraged Romish practices in the Anglican Church, and had
ended up joining the Romanists himself. This encouraged the suspicion that anyone like
Neale was an agent of the Vatican, assigned to destroy the Anglican Church by subverting
it from within. Once Neale was attacked and mauled at a funeral of one of the Sisters.
>From time to time unruly crowds threatened to stone him or to burn his house. He
received no honor or preferment in England, and his doctorate was bestowed by an
American college (Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut). However, his basic goodness
eventually won the confidence of many who had fiercely opposed him, and the Sisterhood
of St. Margaret survived and prospered.
Neale translated the Eastern liturgies into English, and wrote a mystical and devotional
commentary on the Psalms. However, he is best known as a hymn writer and translator,
having enriched English hymnody with many ancient and mediaeval hymns translated from
Latin and Greek. [James Kiefer, abridged]