OREMUS: 27 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 26 21:00:06 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, April 27, 2007

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle?*
 who may abide upon your holy hill?
Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right,*
 who speaks the truth from his heart.
There is no guile upon his tongue;
   he does no evil to his friend;*
 he does not heap contempt upon his neighbour.
In his sight the wicked is rejected,*
 but he honours those who fear the Lord.
He has sworn to do no wrong*
 and does not take back his word.
He does not give his money in hope of gain,*
 nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things*
 shall never be overthrown.

Psalm 27

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 20:39-44]:

As for you, O house of Israel, thus says the Lord God:
Go, serve your idols, every one of you now and hereafter,
if you will not listen to me; but my holy name you shall
no more profane with your gifts and your idols.
For on my holy mountain, the mountain height of Israel,
says the Lord God, there all the house of Israel, all of
them, shall serve me in the land; there I will accept
them, and there I will require your contributions and the
choicest of your gifts, with all your sacred things. As a
pleasing odour I will accept you, when I bring you out
from the peoples, and gather you out of the countries
where you have been scattered; and I will manifest my
holiness among you in the sight of the nations. You shall
know that I am the Lord, when I bring you into the land
of Israel, the country that I swore to give to your
ancestors. There you shall remember your ways and all the
deeds by which you have polluted yourselves; and you
shall loathe yourselves for all the evils that you have
committed. And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I
deal with you for my name's sake, not according to your
evil ways or corrupt deeds, O house of Israel, says the
Lord God.

HYMN
Christopher Smart (1722-1771);
as altered in The Hymnal 1982.

Music: Richmond (Haweis)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a400.html

Awake, arise, lift up your voice,
let Easter music swell;
rejoice in Christ, again rejoice
and on his praises dwell.

Oh, with what gladness and surprise
the saints their Savior greet;
nor will they trust their ears and eyes
but by his hands and feet,

those hands of liberal love indeed
in infinite degree,
those feet still free to move and bleed
for millions and and for me.

His enemies had sealed the stone
as Pilate gave them leave,
lest dead and friendless and alone
he should their skill deceive.

O Dead arise! O Friendless stand
by seraphim adored!
O Solitude again command
your host from heaven restored!

SECOND READING [Revelation 6:1-7:4]:

Then I saw the Lamb open one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living
creatures call out, as with a voice of thunder, 'Come!' I looked, and there was a white
horse! Its rider had a bow; a crown was given to him, and he came out conquering and
to conquer.

When he opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature call out, 'Come!'
And out came another horse, bright red; its rider was permitted to take peace from the
earth, so that people would slaughter one another; and he was given a great
sword.

When he opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature call out, 'Come!' I
looked, and there was a black horse! Its rider held a pair of scales in his hand, and I
heard what seemed to be a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, 'A
quart of wheat for a day's pay, and three quarts of barley for a day's pay, but do not
damage the olive oil and the wine!'

When he opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature call out,
'Come!' I looked and there was a pale green horse! Its rider's name was Death, and
Hades followed with him; they were given authority over a fourth of the earth, to kill
with sword, famine, and pestilence, and by the wild animals of the earth.

When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been
slaughtered for the word of God and for the testimony they had given; they cried out
with a loud voice, 'Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long will it be before you
judge and avenge our blood on the inhabitants of the earth?' They were each given a
white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number would be complete both of
their fellow-servants and of their brothers and sisters, who were soon to be killed as
they themselves had been killed.

When he opened the sixth seal, I looked, and there came a great earthquake; the sun
became black as sackcloth, the full moon became like blood, and the stars of the sky
fell to the earth as the fig tree drops its winter fruit when shaken by a gale. The sky
vanished like a scroll rolling itself up, and every mountain and island was removed
from its place. Then the kings of the earth and the magnates and the generals and the
rich and the powerful, and everyone, slave and free, hid in the caves and among the
rocks of the mountains, calling to the mountains and rocks, 'Fall on us and hide us
from the face of the one seated on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb; for the
great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?'

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the
four winds of the earth so that no wind could blow on earth or sea or against any tree.
I saw another angel ascending from the rising of the sun, having the seal of the living
God, and he called with a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to
damage earth and sea, saying, 'Do not damage the earth or the sea or the trees, until
we have marked the servants of our God with a seal on their foreheads.'

And I heard the number of those who were sealed, one hundred and forty-four
thousand, sealed out of every tribe of the people of Israel.

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
the shelter of all who hope in you,
may those who seek your face
be set free from fear and distress,
and come to see your goodness
in the land of the living;
through Jesus Christ, our Light and our Salvation. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.