OREMUS: 26 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 25 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, April 26, 2007

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 11:1-25]:

The spirit lifted me up and brought me to the east gate
of the house of the Lord, which faces east. There, at the
entrance of the gateway, were twenty-five men; among them
I saw Jaazaniah son of Azzur, and Pelatiah son of
Benaiah, officials of the people. He said to me, 'Mortal,
these are the men who devise iniquity and who give wicked
counsel in this city; they say, "The time is not near to
build houses; this city is the pot, and we are the meat."
Therefore prophesy against them; prophesy, O mortal.'
Then the spirit of the Lord fell upon me, and he said to
me, 'Say, Thus says the Lord: This is what you think, O
house of Israel; I know the things that come into your
mind. You have killed many in this city, and have filled
its streets with the slain. Therefore thus says the Lord
God: The slain whom you have placed within it are the
meat, and this city is the pot; but you shall be taken
out of it. You have feared the sword; and I will bring
the sword upon you, says the Lord God. I will take you
out of it and give you over to the hands of foreigners,
and execute judgements upon you. You shall fall by the
sword; I will judge you at the border of Israel. And you
shall know that I am the Lord. This city shall not be
your pot, and you shall not be the meat inside it; I will
judge you at the border of Israel. Then you shall know
that I am the Lord, whose statutes you have not followed,
and whose ordinances you have not kept, but you have
acted according to the ordinances of the nations that are
around you.'
Now, while I was prophesying, Pelatiah son of Benaiah
died. Then I fell down on my face, cried with a loud
voice, and said, 'Ah Lord God! will you make a full end
of the remnant of Israel?'
Then the word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, your
kinsfolk, your own kin, your fellow exiles, the whole
house of Israel, all of them, are those of whom the
inhabitants of Jerusalem have said, 'They have gone far
from the Lord; to us this land is given for a
possession.' Therefore say: Thus says the Lord God:
Though I removed them far away among the nations, and
though I scattered them among the countries, yet I have
been a sanctuary to them for a little while in the
countries where they have gone. Therefore say: Thus says
the Lord God: I will gather you from the peoples, and
assemble you out of the countries where you have been
scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel. When
they come there, they will remove from it all its
detestable things and all its abominations. I will give
them one heart, and put a new spirit within them; I will
remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them
a heart of flesh, so that they may follow my statutes and
keep my ordinances and obey them. Then they shall be my
people, and I will be their God. But as for those whose
heart goes after their detestable things and their
abominations, I will bring their deeds upon their own
heads, says the Lord God.

Then the cherubim lifted up their wings, with the wheels
beside them; and the glory of the God of Israel was above
them. And the glory of the Lord ascended from the middle
of the city, and stopped on the mountain east of the
city. The spirit lifted me up and brought me in a vision
by the spirit of God into Chaldea, to the exiles. Then
the vision that I had seen left me. And I told the exiles
all the things that the Lord had shown me.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1747
Tune: Hyfrydol, Love Divine, Blaenwern
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l531.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l
531.html

Love divine, all loves excelling,
joy of heaven, to earth come down,
fix in us thy humble dwelling,
all thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, thou art all compassion,
pure, unbounded love thou art;
visit us with thy salvation,
enter every trembling heart.

Come, almighty to deliver,
let us all thy life receive;
suddenly return, and never,
nevermore thy temples leave.
Thee we would be always blessing,
serve thee as thy hosts above,
pray, and praise thee without ceasing,
glory in thy perfect love.

Finish then thy new creation;
pure and spotless let us be;
let us see thy great salvation
perfectly restored in thee:
changed from glory into glory,
till in heaven we take our place,
till we cast our crowns before thee,
lost in wonder, love, and praise.

SECOND READING [Revelation 5:1-10]:

Then I saw in the right hand of the one seated on the throne a scroll written on the
inside and on the back, sealed with seven seals; and I saw a mighty angel proclaiming
with a loud voice, 'Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?' And no one
in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or to look into it.
And I began to weep bitterly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or
to look into it. Then one of the elders said to me, 'Do not weep. See, the Lion of the
tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its
seven seals.'

Then I saw between the throne and the four living creatures and among the elders a
Lamb standing as if it had been slaughtered, having seven horns and seven eyes, which
are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. He went and took the scroll
from the right hand of the one who was seated on the throne. When he had taken the
scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, each
holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
They sing a new song:
'You are worthy to take the scroll
   and to open its seals,
for you were slaughtered and by your blood you ransomed for God
   saints from every tribe and language and people and nation;
you have made them to be a kingdom and priests serving our God,
   and they will reign on earth.'

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

All creation trembles before you, Lord God,
for you have plumbed the deep waters of death
and have brought us forth as new-born into your sanctuary:
may your presence go before us to guide us
   into your kingdom;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.