OREMUS: 20 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 19 21:06:35 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, April 20, 2007

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 88

O Lord, my God, my Saviour,*
 by day and night I cry to you.
Let my prayer enter into your presence;*
 incline your ear to my lamentation.
For I am full of trouble;*
 my life is at the brink of the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;*
 I have become like one who has no strength;
Lost among the dead,*
 like the slain who lie in the grave,
Whom you remember no more,*
 for they are cut off from your hand.
You have laid me in the depths of the Pit,*
 in dark places and in the abyss.
Your anger weighs upon me heavily,*
 and all your great waves overwhelm me.
You have put my friends far from me;
   you have made me to be abhorred by them;*
 I am in prison and cannot get free.
My sight has failed me because of trouble;*
 Lord, I have called upon you daily;
   I have stretched out my hands to you.
Do you work wonders for the dead?*
 will those who have died
   stand up and give you thanks?
Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave?*
 your faithfulness in the land of destruction?
Will your wonders be known in the dark?*
 or your righteousness in the country
   where all is forgotten?
But as for me, O Lord, I cry to you for help;*
 in the morning my prayer comes before you.
Lord, why have you rejected me?*
 why have you hidden your face from me?
Ever since my youth,
   I have been wretched and at the point of death;*
 I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.
Your blazing anger has swept over me;*
 your terrors have destroyed me;
They surround me all day long like a flood;*
 they encompass me on every side.
My friend and my neighbour you have put away from me,*
 and darkness is my only companion.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 6:1-4]:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem
of his robe filled the temple. Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two
they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. And one
called to another and said:
'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory.'
The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with
smoke.

HYMN
Words: Michael Weisse (1480-1534), 1531;
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878), 1858
Tune: W rttemberg
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c100.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c100.html

Christ the Lord is risen again!
Christ hath broken every chain!
Hark! angelic voices cry,
singing evermore on high,
Alleluia!

He who gave for us his life,
who for us endured the strife,
is our Paschal Lamb today;
we too sing for joy, and say:
Alleluia!

He who bore all pain and loss
comfortless upon the cross
lives in glory now on high,
pleads for us, and hears our cry;
Alleluia!

He who slumbered in the grave
is exalted now to save;
through the universe it rings
that the Lamb is King of kings:
Alleluia!

Now he bids us tell abroad
how the lost may be restored,
how the penitent forgiven,
how we too may enter heaven.
Alleluia!

Thou, our Paschal Lamb indeed,
Christ, thy ransomed people feed;
take our sins and guilt away,
that we all may sing for aye
Alleluia!

SECOND READING [Revelation 4:1-11]:

After this I looked, and there in heaven a door stood open! And the first voice, which I had heard
speaking to me like a trumpet, said, 'Come up here, and I will show you what must take place
after this.' At once I was in the spirit, and there in heaven stood a throne, with one seated on the
throne! And the one seated there looks like jasper and cornelian, and around the throne is a
rainbow that looks like an emerald. Around the throne are twenty-four thrones, and seated on the
thrones are twenty-four elders, dressed in white robes, with golden crowns on their heads.
Coming from the throne are flashes of lightning, and rumblings and peals of thunder, and in front
of the throne burn seven flaming torches, which are the seven spirits of God; and in front of the
throne there is something like a sea of glass, like crystal.

Around the throne, and on each side of the throne, are four living creatures, full of eyes in front
and behind: the first living creature like a lion, the second living creature like an ox, the third
living creature with a face like a human face, and the fourth living creature like a flying eagle. And
the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and inside. Day
and night without ceasing they sing,
'Holy, holy, holy,
the Lord God the Almighty,
   who was and is and is to come.'
And whenever the living creatures give glory and honour and thanks to the one who is seated on
the throne, who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall before the one who is seated on
the throne and worship the one who lives for ever and ever; they cast their crowns before the
throne, singing,
'You are worthy, our Lord and God,
   to receive glory and honour and power,
for you created all things,
   and by your will they existed and were created.'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.