OREMUS: 17 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 16 20:37:10 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

FIRST READING [Esther 8:1-17]:

On that day King Ahasuerus gave to Queen Esther the house
of Haman, the enemy of the Jews; and Mordecai came before
the king, for Esther had told what he was to her. Then
the king took off his signet ring, which he had taken
from Haman, and gave it to Mordecai. So Esther set
Mordecai over the house of Haman.
Then Esther spoke again to the king; she fell at his
feet, weeping and pleading with him to avert the evil
design of Haman the Agagite and the plot that he had
devised against the Jews. The king held out the golden
sceptre to Esther, and Esther rose and stood before the
king. She said, 'If it pleases the king, and if I have
won his favour, and if the thing seems right before the
king, and I have his approval, let an order be written to
revoke the letters devised by Haman son of Hammedatha the
Agagite, which he wrote giving orders to destroy the Jews
who are in all the provinces of the king. For how can I
bear to see the calamity that is coming on my people? Or
how can I bear to see the destruction of my kindred?'
Then King Ahasuerus said to Queen Esther and to the Jew
Mordecai, 'See, I have given Esther the house of Haman,
and they have hanged him on the gallows, because he
plotted to lay hands on the Jews. You may write as you
please with regard to the Jews, in the name of the king,
and seal it with the king's ring; for an edict written in
the name of the king and sealed with the king's ring
cannot be revoked.'

The king's secretaries were summoned at that time, in the
third month, which is the month of Sivan, on the
twenty-third day; and an edict was written, according to
all that Mordecai commanded, to the Jews and to the
satraps and the governors and the officials of the
provinces from India to Ethiopia, one hundred and
twenty-seven provinces, to every province in its own
script and to every people in its own language, and also
to the Jews in their script and their language. He wrote
letters in the name of King Ahasuerus, sealed them with
the king's ring, and sent them by mounted couriers riding
on fast steeds bred from the royal herd. By these letters
the king allowed the Jews who were in every city to
assemble and defend their lives, to destroy, to kill, and
to annihilate any armed force of any people or province
that might attack them, with their children and women,
and to plunder their goods on a single day throughout all
the provinces of King Ahasuerus, on the thirteenth day of
the twelfth month, which is the month of Adar. A copy of
the writ was to be issued as a decree in every province
and published to all peoples, and the Jews were to be
ready on that day to take revenge on their enemies. So
the couriers, mounted on their swift royal steeds,
hurried out, urged by the king's command. The decree was
issued in the citadel of Susa.

Then Mordecai went out from the presence of the king,
wearing royal robes of blue and white, with a great
golden crown and a mantle of fine linen and purple, while
the city of Susa shouted and rejoiced. For the Jews there
was light and gladness, joy and honour. In every province
and in every city, wherever the king's command and his
edict came, there was gladness and joy among the Jews, a
festival and a holiday. Furthermore, many of the peoples
of the country professed to be Jews, because the fear of
the Jews had fallen upon them.

HYMN
Words: Cecil Frances Alexander, 1846
Tune: Unser Herrscher

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h128.html

He is risen, he is risen!
Tell it out with joyful voice:
he has burst his three days' prison;
let the whole wide earth rejoice:
death is conquered, man is free,
Christ has won the victory.

Come, ye sad and fearful-hearted,
with glad smile and radiant brow!
Lent's long shadows have departed;
Jesus' woes are over now,
and the passion that he bore--
sin and pain can vex no more.

Come, with high and holy hymning,
hail our Lord's triumphant day;
not one darksome cloud is dimming
yonder glorious morning ray,
breaking o'er the purple east,
symbol of our Easter feast.

He is risen, he is risen!
He hath opened heaven's gate:
we are free from sin's dark prison,
risen to a holier state;
and a brighter Easter beam
on our longing eyes shall stream.

SECOND READING [Revelation 2:8-11]:

'And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of the first and
the last, who was dead and came to life:
'I know your affliction and your poverty, even though you are rich. I know the slander
on the part of those who say that they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of
Satan. Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Beware, the devil is about to throw
some of you into prison so that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have
affliction. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. Let anyone who
has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches. Whoever conquers will
not be harmed by the second death.'

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

O God, mindful of your promises,
you have visited and redeemed your people:
as we rejoice in the power of your victory,
so hasten the day of your appearing;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.